Coming to a Theatre Near You!

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

RE:

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

It would be great to finally meet you, too. Thanks for the invite because I would love to see Baby Face or Sorry, Wrong Number, or Double Indemnity in a real theater. From time to time, I must escape from the Lone Star State...( a la the old Mark Eden chant, I must, I must, I must increase my....)
If I had a babysitter for Mom and son, it could happen.

My Dream is Yours! (Doris Day and Jack Carson, Adolphe, Eve, and S.Z...)

Maybe later in the summer....
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Chris,

I think we of the Southern California contingent have been here for a total of almost fifty years (between the three of us that I know of, Kyle, Filmlover and Me). I am celebrating 30 years in Los Angeles this Labor Day and the other two have been here quite some year as well.

I guess what I am trying to say is we are not going anywhere. And the Billy Wilder Theater is the brand new home of the UCLA Film and Television Archive so it's not going anywhere either. Add the Arclight at the Dome (the old Cinerama) and the Egyptian and we have plenty of reasons to visit us for films.

We'll still be here no matter what time of year. Right guys? :)

So, let us know if you can get away because we love a reason to get together and talk film.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Moraldo Rubini

On the Road Again

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Thanks for the tempting invite, Lynn! It looks like work is sending me to New York for most of May (though I will be in Anaheim May 23). I might be spending more time at New York's Film Forum than at any west coast theatres! I certainly hope to be back in San Francisco the first week of June, as that's when the Castro Theatre is featuring a 12-film tribute to Bernard Herrmann. I'm especially excited that they'll be showing On Dangerous Ground...
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Lzcutter wrote:Christy,

Come on out! The More the Merrier! Oops! That was a Joel McCrea film!

But would be great to meet you!
LZ---I see they are showing The File on Thelma Jordan. Boy is that a rare one, for me anyway---I've never seen it or found it airing on TV. I wish they would have included it in the Brooklyn retrospective.
Moraldo Rubini

Make Mine Music

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Here's the schedule for the upcoming Bernard Herrmann Film Festival at San Francisco's Castro Theatre.

June 1

Double-feature: Vertigo with Brian DePalma's twist on the Hitchcock classic, Obsession.

June 2

A Ray Harryhausen triple feature with:
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
Mysterious Island
Jason and the Argonauts

June 3

Herrmann's first film score, paired in a double feature with his last score: Citizen Kane and Taxi Driver.

June 5

Double-feature with Journey to the Center of the Earth and Fahrenheit 451.

June 6

Another double-feature: Cape Fear with On Dangerous Ground.

June 7

The grand finale is a Hitchcock double-feature. Very appropriate since the cinematic marriage of Hitchcock/Herrmann was so strong. Psycho and Marnie.[/b]
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

San Fran has wonderful films being shown. I would love to see Vertigo, Marnie and On Dangerous Ground. Too bad they don't include The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. I did see that one on the big screen at UCLA.
Moraldo Rubini

The Ghost On Dangerous Ground

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I bought the cd of the soundtrack to Ghost and Mrs. Muir about six months ago. Wow. It's now one of my all-time favorites. If it'd been vinyl, it would have been well worn by now. I too have my eye out for this film now. I haven't seen it since I was a teenager, and I don't think really it captivated me at the time. But now I'm so curious as to how this beautiful score relates to the screen images.

On Dangerous Ground is the soundtrack that cemented my ardor for Bernard Herrmann. I'd never heard of the film, but it was included in a local film noir festival and featured Ida Lupino and Robert Reed; so I had to check it out. The house lights dimmed and I was blindsided by Herrmann's thrilling prelude. The violent metallic clank punctuating this scherzo immediately puts the audience on the edge of their seats. It foreshadows the soundtrack for the Saul Bass credits before North by Northwest, but with even more urgency. I obsessively searched for this soundtrack (on cd) for years after that night and finally found it about a year ago.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is on vhs, which I have a copy of, but sadly is not yet on dvd!!! And it's a spectacular film.

On Dangerous Ground is my favorite noir, next to Laura.
Moraldo Rubini

Farley Granger

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

A pal sent me this report on Monday night's Film Forum tribute to Farley Granger. It was written by Neil Genzlinger, and I'm assuming was featured in today's
New York Times. Here are some excerpts
:
Mr. Granger may not have achieved the film idol fame of contemporaries like James Stewart and Marlon Brando, but you’d never have known it from his Film Forum appearance: the place was packed, and a standby line stretched down the block. “Absolute Farleymania,” Bruce Goldstein, Film Forum’s director of repertory programming, called it in introducing the evening.

If the theater was packed, so is Mr. Granger’s book [Include Me Out: My Life From Goldwyn to Broadway (St. Martin’s Press)]. Seemingly everyone who was anyone in postwar Hollywood or East Coast theater turns up in it.

Mr. Granger was a good-looking teenager when he was spotted in a play by a casting director for Samuel Goldwyn and, with Hollywood short on men during World War II, quickly thrust into the movies: The North Star” in 1943, The Purple Heart the next year.

“I was blinded in the film about Russia, and in the one about Japan, I had my tongue cut out,” he said of those two movies in an interview last week. But soon roles with more dialogue and less disfigurement came, most famously his two films for Alfred Hitchcock: he was a preppy who kills in Rope (1948) and a tennis player implicated in murder in Strangers on a Train (1951).

Mr. Granger, though, said he was most proud of his work in Luchino Visconti’s Senso (1954), one of a number of Italian films on his résumé. And while clips from his American films drew the applause of familiarity on Monday, a scalding scene from the less familiar Senso drew both applause and a murmur of admiration, as if his casual fans were not aware of the depth of his acting skill.

Rope or Strangers on a Train?

"Strangers,” he said without hesitation. “I think it was a more complete film. I think Rope was more an experiment for Hitchcock.”

American or Italian?

“Oh, the American films,” he said, but then backed up. “With the exception of the Visconti. That lives on a level all by itself. The other foreign films, I could care less about.”

Though the movies brought him quick fame, Mr. Granger had another aspiration almost from the beginning: the stage. Early on he was befriended by musicians and theater types like [Leonard] Bernstein and Betty Comden.

“That was a crowd that didn’t care whether you were gay, straight, anywhere on a sliding scale,” he said in the interview. And it was a crowd that gave him the theater bug. In 1953 he took the unusual step of buying his way out of his Goldwyn contract so he could be freer to work on the stage. Goldwyn was not taking Mr. Granger’s film career where he wanted it to go. “I played the same part over and over again,” he told Monday’s audience, and when Edge of Doom (1950), in which he kills a priest, came up, he muttered, “I should have killed Sam Goldwyn.”
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

RE: GHOST

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Dear Miss G,
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is indeed on dvd, for I have my very own copy of it. The score is also wonderful. It's a little different, because in the score, it seems like each place has it's own little theme. One of my all time faves...

I ordered it from a catalog I receive from time to time.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Marco,

My favorite Bernard Herrmann score is one of his last, Obession. It's even a good Brian DePalma film that owes more than a passing nod to Vertigo which is my third favorite Herrmann score.

My second favorite The Magnificent Ambersons.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

Moraldo Rubini

Obsessions

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Lynn said:
My favorite Bernard Herrmann score is one of his last, Obession. It's even a good Brian DePalma film that owes more than a passing nod to Vertigo which is my third favorite Herrmann score.
Wow Lynn, I've never heard the score to Obsession. Since DePalma's movie is an homage to Vertigo, did Herrmann's score harken to his earlier work on the Hitchcock classic?[/quote]
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Marco,

You must find this score! It is so lush and so beautiful! I remember pieces of the film which starred Cliff Robertson and Genvieve Bujold with a wonderful supporting role by John Lithgow (who was still unknown then).

The film is good, especially for DePalma who spent most of the 1970s (Carrie excepted) paying homage to Hitchcock. For the record, I like Dressed to Kill.

But Obsession may be DePalma's best homage and the score is so beautiful and does harken back to Vertigo which helps sell
Obession even more.

You must hear this score!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thanks, Sue Sue. I didn't realize Mrs. Muir was on dvd already, that's good news.
Moraldo Rubini

Perverts Guide to Cinema

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Has anyone heard of The Perverts Guide to Cinema? I'm heading back to New York, so checked to see what was going on at MoMa
and found that they're showing a series based on this movie by Sophie Fiennes. The series will include screenings of Duck Soup, The Birds, Wild at Heart, Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb and Bleu.

Miss Goddess, Judith, any other New Yorkers out there familiar with this series? Is there anything else -- cinematically -- during the month of May that I should know about in Manhattan? I've always wanted to attend a movie at the Ziegfield; maybe this time!