A Treasure Trove of Cinematic Lore

moira finnie
Administrator

A Treasure Trove of Cinematic Lore

Post by moira finnie »

A blogger friend of mine from Canada, the wonderful and knowledgeable Patricia, of Caftan Woman, recently wrote about the treasure trove of programs and interviews with filmmakers that were hosted by Elwy Yost on Canadian television in decades past. Growing up near the Canadian border, we used to see some of these occasionally, and now that I've looked at some of them, I am starting to realize how much Post's enthusiasm for his subject rubbed off on me. Fortunately, Patricia has taken the trouble to find an archive of these interviews with the likes of directors George Stevens, Jr., John Huston, John Sturges, Stanley Cortez, Lee Garmes and many more. If you would like to see an in-depth interview with some legends of film, please check out the link below. (please note: some of the videos take awhile to load and play, and some are currently unavailable, but most are technically excellent as well as full of info)

http://archive.tvo.org/program/119641?page=1
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ann Harding

Re: A Treasure Trove of Cinematic Lore

Post by Ann Harding »

Oh Thanks Moira! It looks wonderful. :D It's amazing what TV channels were producing in the 70s. Recently I've been going to screening of a French TV series on directors which started in 1964. It contains some amazing gems. Alas, they won't make it onto DVD due to rights problems... :cry:
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Elwy Yost's son is screenwriter and producer Graham Yost -- he co-wrote the script for Speed and is the creator and executive producer of Justified. He also created and produced the criminally underappreciated 2007 cop series Raines (starring Jeff Goldblum) which only lasted 7 episodes, alas.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I've seen the one on John Ford before, it's very good. Frank Baker is divine in it. I'm glad they made these available online if not DVD.

Now if only BBC would do the same with some of their old "Omnibus" series, David Frost, etc...
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers