Bond, James Bond

RedRiver

Re: Bond, James Bond

Post by RedRiver »

As you probably know, 007 turns fifty this year, in terms of movies. DR. NO, the stylish adventure that started one of the great cultural phenomenons, premiered in 1962. With due respect to STAR WARS, it could be argued that the secret agent craze was the biggest, most pervasive TV and movie fad ever. Agents from UNCLE, SMERSH, IMF and other sources were everywhere! In fact, it was this prophetic series that gave birth to the high-tech, in your face, blockbuster action film. Luke, Leia and Indiana Jones owe a lot to Commander Bond!
Last edited by RedRiver on September 20th, 2012, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I saw previews for this 1962 classic, at the age of eight. I knew nothing about it. Had never heard of James Bond. But I thought, WOW! What is this? I would soon find out!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

This was in the lobby of the movie theatre I saw "THE BIRDS" in. I stopped and stared and stared and sighed and stared...

I saw "DR. NO" at TCM's film festival and the movie really does NOT seem dated at all. In fact it holds up very well.

My heart will always belong to Sean Connery ( every girl remembers her first...Bond ) but Daniel Craig has been doing an EXCELLENT job of continuing the legend of this Secret Agent icon. ( "Once I had a secret love...." )

I've seen the trailer for the upcoming movie "SKYFALL" and love that his love interest this time go 'round will be British actress Noemi Harris. Awww heck, I just love everything about James Bond! Can't wait.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

My daughter and I have a date for this one.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

i'm not crazy about craig as bond, and i wanted to be. but i did not see the last one, perhaps he will grow on me but i am skeptical.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

What is about Craig that makes you skeptical? Do you have a favorite Bond? A favorite Bond movie? Somehow, I'm not thinking that this is your genre. Do you like talky, cerebral spies ( "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" or "The Man Between"? ) Are the gadgets a turn-off? What? I know that Felix is sleeeker than ANY Bond could be, (love that pix!!) but I'm curious.

P.S. May I share my absolute favorite Flixxie video with the group here? Or would you rather I not?

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I love the 007 movies, in fact they're the one franchise that can get me to go to see a new movie anymore! :D I definitely absolutely positively love Sean Connery's "Bond". I have most of them on DVD. My tippy top faves are From Russia With Love and Dr. No, with Thunderball a close third. I also like On Her Majesty's Secret Service---it's an excellent film with a good match in Diana Rigg, though Lazenby himself is just okay. I do like spy films in general, for the escapism. Especially the way they take you to exotic locales.

I admit I do like Craig's toughness but I miss the witty sophistication that should go with it. To me, Bond must be a perfect combination of toughness and polish. An ideal, in short, not a mere mortal, ha. :D I also felt Craig's movie came off like a typical, big budget action film, and the 007's should be more than that.

I don't mind the gadgets, but too many explosions and action without the balance of wit and engrossing characters leaves me wanting more.

p.s. feel free to post any videos i made, i'm flattered! felix is flattered!
:)
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I saw "DR. NO" at TCM's film festival and the movie really does NOT seem dated at all. In fact it holds up very well.

It has as much in common with classic detective fiction as with high-spirited adventure. These fifty year-old films have an impressive shelf life!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

My mom and three sisters are Connery women. We're a loyal family!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

RedRiver wrote:My mom and three sisters are Connery women. We're a loyal family!
(bond) sisters under the mink.
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MissGoddess wrote:i'm not crazy about craig as bond, and i wanted to be. but i did not see the last one, perhaps he will grow on me but i am skeptical.
Me too. I just have problems (too many of them) with Craig playing Bond.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That poster is hilarious!

I was so excited to see a real man's man play Bond again, but I admit I've missed the Craig versions so far. I am not a huge Bond fan, but love Sean Connery, and I agree completely that Bond should be tough and polished at the same time. It seems they can find one or the other, but never again both in one man, except for Connery.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Well, they don't even really make men like that anymore, do they.

( 1. ) “THUNDERBALL” ( 2. ) “GOLDFINGER” ( 3. ) “YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE” are my top three favorite James Bond films. There are later ones I like, but I put the Connery Bonds in a category by themselves. I’ve seen “ON HER MAJESTY’S SECRET SERVICE” in recent years and thought it not really a bad film. But I kind of had to trick myself. I had to forget it was a Bond movie & think of it as Lazenby playing a character named Bond. No one, not even Mother Theresa, could have come out smelling like a rose playing James Bond after years of Sean Connery. He is a tough act to follow.

THE RE-EVOLUTION OF JAMES BOND

I hear you April, about Bond being an ideal...not a mere mortal; a Walther PPK to the head and a bon mot to complete the kill. I love the fantasy. I believe now, they’re rooting Bond, Craig’s Bond, in reality. If you fight in a tux your tux should look like it’s been in a fight. I think the producers ( smartly ) are building the persona of this new iteration of Bond over a series of movies. I find Craig a dangerous tightly coiled cobra. He doesn’t smile easily, he can’t quite relax, he reacts as a man who lives on and in danger 24/7. ( I once craved just seeing Bond’s apartment...him eating breakfast and watching tv. Yeah yeah, talk about taking the fantasy element out of things. ) Craig’s Bond seems rooted in cement, poured into granite. I don't really mind that. But when he was betrayed by Vesper and then tried to pull her out of that submerged elevator...

I’ve always wished that the Bond films would get really top-tiered actors to breathe life into their villains and femme fatales. ( Not playboys bunnies or super-models...but then again, I'm not their market audience. ) I thought using these really good actors would raise the Bond flicks a couple of notches. Yes, they make money, but to be taken seriously. Having Judi Dench as “M” thrills me to no end. I’d recommend you rent or stream “QUANTUM OF SOLACE.” You still probably won't cotton to Daniel Craig, but isn’t it better to see a thing and then...

FELIX...JUST FELIX

As I've said on this thread, I am a Connery girl from way back. Since 1962 I've been a Bond girl since before I knew what that'd entail.

But there's another sleek polished cool cat that has popped up on my radar. And his name is Felix...just Felix. More soooooon.

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'll try to keep an open mind about Craig, you've made a good case!

I did see Quantum of Solace...that was the first one, right? So I'm basing my judgement on that. Maybe if I can I'll see the newest one.

But there's another sleek polished cool cat that has popped up on my radar. And his name is Felix...just Felix. More soooooon.

:D :D :D
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

So we're not talking about Felix Leiter...