Bond, James Bond

RedRiver

Re: Bond, James Bond

Post by RedRiver »

Wow! On this date in 1962, I hadn't yet heard of either. Boy, would that change!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw "Live and Let Die" at a theater in Ocean City, MD when it came out. I always hated the beach. Being fair skinned and in the days before sun screen made for a boring time at the beach. Most just laid out in the sun. Big deal. For some reason I don't remember seeing others though I must have.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The only one I saw on the big screen was GOLDFINGER.

The week of its release, my aunt saw a segment of The Today Show devoted to the Aston Martin and its doodads. She thought her son and I -- both 13 at the time -- would enjoy a movie about a hot car, so she dropped us off at the theater that weekend.

Right. It's the hot car I remember.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Through these doors...

I enter another world.

I enter a world of secret agents, greed, and world domination. A world of caviar, martinis, champagne and exotic travel; gadgets ahead of their time, fast cars and beautiful women...beautiful cars and fast women. I enter a world where if your plan does not work, you will be thrown under the bus...or into a pool of sharks...or electrocuted; where fights to the death, cold-blooded murder and sex for information or casual play is common. Through MoMA's doors was a retrospective of fifty years of British Secret Agent 007. He acts...while other men just talk. This is James Bond's world. I am shaken and stirred.

...And I'm okay with that.

"FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE" ( 1963 ) - Terence Young

ImageImageImageImage

I forgot a lot of little details of the movie. I saw the movie in the theatre when it was initially released and I know I didn't understand half of what was going on when I was little. But it was the big sweeping spectacle of things that got me back then. I've seen it over the years, but haven't seen it in its entirety in many years. I enjoyed it. It holds up, and does not seem dated.

Robert Brownjohn does the opening credit titles.

THE CAST:

SEAN CONNERY is so comfortable in his rugged hirsuit swarthy skin in this role. He really is incredible. He looks to the manor born, will kill you or make love to you if he has to. He is a sex object with other dimensions as well. He's supported by a very able cast. DANIELA BIANCHI the pawn in question, is very pretty. And she can act ( a sometimes not necessary pre-requisite of the Roger Moore "Bonds." ) The great LOTTE LENYA as Rosa Klebb. Even her name sounds dastardly, doesn't it? She's one of the great Bond villains and one of my favorites. Is she evil because she is a lesbian? Is she evil because she is evil? Can one be evil AND feminine? Is there no space for a smart attractive woman in S.P.E.C.T.R.E. She's no nonsense alright, and plays the role with relish. PEDRO ARMENDARIZ is the Turkish connection and he is absolutely fabulous. Suave older man, he was so light-hearted, I loved him. HE is one of the "THREE GODFATHERS"??? Another shame, Hollywood; you had him play banditos much of the time, ey? Tsk! Tsk! ROBERT SHAW as the cold assssassin. He was like the deadly shark he would hunt years later in "JAWS." Ever watchful, shadowing James Bond just one step behind him. He is no cartoon caricature ( which spells the demise of Bond villains for me. ) When he reaches for his watch stem and pulls out the cord garroting his victims, you see he is cold and deadly; I even love the whizzing sound the cord makes when its extended. Shaw and Connery have one of the great fights of ALL action films.

MY FAVORITE MOMENTS:

* Rosa Klebb walking through the S.P.E.C.T.R.E. training camp reminds me of the walk-through in "Spartacus" showing the gladiators training.
* Rosa Klebb punching bronzed assassin Donald Grant, in the stomach with brass knuckles. He doesn't flinch, and he's her boy.
* His flirting with good sport Miss Moneypenny. Lois Maxwell is a beautiful dream gal Friday.
* The gypsy girls cat fight...kind of campy but fun; one of the cats uhhhmmm...girls wound up working with Bond in "Thunderball."
* I loved how in the camp attack, Bond lends his professional skill in the fight like the "Star Trek" Federation helping the Ewoks.
* Grant shadowing Bond throughout this mission until they finally meet.
* The fight inside the train compartment...taut, violent, wonderful. Bond meets his match.
* The audience laughed and lightly applauded when we see Rosa Klebb come back on the scene at the end of the movie. Look out, Miss Lotte Lenya...

MY FAVORITE LINES:

* Upon meeting Tatiana for the first time, ( she's in his bed...yes Red River, wearing only that little black ribbon around her neck )

BOND: "I hope you're not disappointed."
TATIANA:"I will tell you...in the morning."

And with just one tryst...'Tanya' is head over heels in love with James Bond. Well naturally. Some guys got it like that.

* In the train compartment before their big fight, Bond and Grant have a conversation:

GRANT: "I may not know the right wine, but you're the one on your knees."
BOND: "Which lunatic asylum did they get you from."

I was nervous and disappointed when a man with three boys ( looking about ages nine through eleven ) sat next to me. Ugh!! My dreams of floating in the fantasy world of James Bond would be dashed by three pre-pubescent boys who wouldn't keep still, become talkative and bored with the plot. Plus I was thinking: "Weren't they too young to be exposed to belly dancing, gypsy cat fights and sexy opening titles??" I guess there's no time like the present for young boys. Dad apparently thought so. And surprise surprise...the boys were absolutely quiet throughout the movie. ( Yay! ) Children should be seen and not heard...at a James Bond film. Yep, I was happy camper.

"GOLDFINGER" ( 1964 ) - Guy Hamilton

My heart fairly bursts when I hear the bombastic pronouncement of the movie's theme song. When Shirley Bassey strongly sings "GOLDFINGAAAAAH" you could feel the audience bubble with excitement. Her voice is so big and strong and she can hold a note like nobody's business. A villain NEVER had a better introduction as this. It was another packed theatre at MoMA with "Goldfinger." This is among my top five favorite Bond films. So again, I sit back, relax and enjoy...even if I do have to scootch over one seat from front and center aisle, :evil: so a couple could sit together. Baaah!!

THE CAST:

ImageImageImageImageImage

:oops: SEAN CONNERY. :oops: I cannot continue to gush publicly about this man without embarrassment so let me just say, Cary Grant...move over. Connery's sartorial splendor in this movie makes me swoon. He wears three-piece suits and a terry-cloth onesie and just a towel. He also has, was that an Izod Lacoste navy blue polo shirt? ( Dang it, it's times like this, I wish I spoke clothes. ) He's just a shade more light-hearted with his funny lines. But you will be killed if you get in his way. ( I'm not sure why the Museum chose not to show the Bond films in order of their release, so we can see Connery's growth in the role, and the growth and evolution of the filmmaking. Awww hell, I'll take it anyway I can get it. ) Joining Sean Connery on this journey is GERT FROBE as Auric Goldfinger. He's like the Pillsbury Dough Boy gone lethal. He's no nonsense. No cats or rubber-gloved hands. No maniacal, speechifying delusions of grandeur. He's a very business-like villain. I like that. SHIRLEY EATON as Jill Masterson. She sort of looks like Lizabeth Scott to me. I could see her as a femme fatale in film noir. A playful bundle. Her part is small but because of it, she will live...forever. ( Hey TCM, why don't you invite Ms. Eaton to the festival in April?? Now there's a Bond Girl! ) HAROLD SAKATA as Odd Job. How can you NOT like a villain who tips his hat to you? I love OddJob, a great Bond villain. He's perfunctory, and deadly. I love his massive granite-ness and wry smile. The kids today might liken him to late rap artist: "Big Pun." HONOR BLACKMAN as P'Galore. She is fantastic. She is cold like Bond. Can come back with some great lines. Not cutesy. She's not a Playboy-bunny like Eaton. Blackman plays Galore as a Full-Fledged Woman. She's accomplished, a pilot, carries a gun and means it. I think she's beautiful. I think she's smart: ( a plus or minus depending on the confidence of the man. ) Her outfits are to DIE for! Naaaah, no slinky, low cut, V-necked gowns for this Bond Girl. She is fabulously stunning in her casual sportswear; like Calvin Klein. I wish I had the vocabulary for fashion, but cashmeres and soft corduroys, stretch pants in boots...muted autumnal colours of tans and beiges and soft turtlenecks. Oh yes, there was one V-neck blouse she amply wore with pants, but even in that she says: "business before pleasure." SHE is one of my favorite Bond Girls. Sorry Diana Rigg, but I think Honor Blackman would be the PERFECT woman for Bond.

MY FAVORITE MOMENTS:

* I love Bond peeling out of his scuba diving gear with his white tux jacket underneath. That got a laugh. Oh, and then putting the red rose in his lapel. The man is simply hands-down smoooooooooooooooth.
* Reflection in a golden eye: seeing the reflection of a henchman coming up behind him, in the pupil of the woman he is kissing. Whoa!!!
* Electrocuting a henchman in the bathtub.
* The aerial shot of Miami Beach and that brassy sixties music underneath.
* Shirley Eaton’s exit. My God, her being painted in gold is spectacularly stunning; helped in part by the dramatic music and the “ping” sound in its brilliance and brightness. The seriousness of Bond in his discovery. ( "She's covered in paint. Gold paint.")
* That Aston Martin DB is downright sexy.
* The golf match between Bond and Goldfinger. I love it. And Bond’s caddy. And dropping that blinding block of gold bullion on the green making Goldfinger miss his putt. ( Ha! )

* Odd Job throwing his hat in demonstration of his skill. That says it all.
* When OddJob kills Tillie Masterson, swiftly. We see the demo played out. He’s real. He is not a cartoon. Poor Tillie. She was in over her head.
* The pilots coming out of their planes. Bombshells all, kitschy music. Funny.

IF you cross Goldfinger, this will be the last person you see:

* The gangster’s car being crushed with him and the gold bullions inside it. Ooof! Human life means nothing to Goldfinger. Didn't you listen to the lyrics of his theme song?

* The Ju-Jitsu toussle in the haystack with Bond and Galore. Sexy, sexist. ( Emma Peel could do better. Hey, wasn’t Blackman in “The Avengers” before Diana Rigg? And doesn’t she kind of look like Vanessa Williams? ) All it takes is just one kiss, ey Mr. Bond.
* Bond holed up in his jail cell after an unsuccessful break. The camera slowly pulls back to reveal four henchman now watching him.
* The aerial shots of the planes flying over Fort Knox and the military drop like flies under the effects of the lethal gas. Great shot. Busby Berkeley couldn’t get them more synchronized.
* Bond fights OddJob. OddJob throws Bond around like a rag doll. Gold bullions bounce off his chest. He’s a built like a brick....house. Bond is not invincible.

Before she is immortalized:

MY FAVORITE LINES:

* Three of them by Goldfinger:

( 1. ) “All my life I’ve been in love with its color, its brilliance, its divine evidence.” ( I love obsession )

( 2. ) “Choose your next witticism carefully. It may be your last.”

* James Bond upon waking up and meeting P’Galore:

“I must be dreaming.” ( Sean looks his best here, to me, all unshaven and unkempt )

( 3. ) And the best line...as Bond is shackled to a table about to get that laser-beamed vasectomy, he and Goldfinger trade words:

BOND: “Do you expect me to talk?”
GOLDFINGER: “No Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!”
( To the point. Haha...touche Goldfinger! )
[u][color=#800080]RED[/color][/u] [u][color=#800080]RIVER[/color][/u] wrote:Those title sequences. Holy wow! The song creeps in. The visuals burst onto the screen. The colors dazzle you. So 60's! The songs used to be so much better. "You Only Live Twice." "From Russia With Love." Old Tom Jones simply wailing out "Thunderball." Those were some singers.

I agree with you about the singers. Matt Munro had a cool Sinatra / Andy Williams-type smoky sound. The best song Nancy Sinatra ever did was "You Only Live Twice" and her voice, not with a greatest range, fit the haunting (as you said Red) melody perfectly. Wailing Tom Jones!!! Poppa! His voice comes from deep inside his soul and curls my toes!
Best villain? Boy. That's a tough one. Auric Goldfinger is devilishly manipulative. A bad guy who enjoys his work. Red Grant a slick imposter whose wrist watch tells more than the time.
These were two baddies I just saw over the weekend. Auric couldn't fight though. And why would he have to with Odd Job around. But Red Grant...awmigawd, fantastic. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. And what a physique.
[u][color=#4000BF]JACK[/color][/u] [u][color=#4000BF]FAVELL[/color][/u] wrote:Hey, I came across Timothy Dalton as 007 in License to Kill this weekend, and tried to watch as much as I could.
I'll see this next weekend and weigh in on your comments with a fresher viewing of Dalton. Your review made me laugh! Ahhhh! Some Bonds don't travel well over time.

Yeeeah. Right. Well...now I'm thirsty.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

CineMaven - Fantastic Post Here ... I just loved it!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, Maven, I'm just eating up your reviews and your pictures, with a spoon! Yum yum. 007 the way he was meant to be, rugged handsome, sophisticated and fun. Oh, and deadly! Sean Connery is perfect, you make me feel like I was right there with you, reveling in his sartorial and otherwise splendor. I have to watch these two movies, I've never actually seen them all the way through... no time like the present! :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

oh man oh man oh JAMES! i really was a dope not to go. i am FLUNKING OUT on planning my movie (and documentary) watching lately BIG TIME. but your brilliant reviews almost make up for it. i was getting goose pimply along with you over Shirley's "GoldfingAH....." dang, i'd LOVE to see that on the big screen JUST for the opening theme. i forgot about the reflection in the eye...and Honor's lovely wardrobe...and...and. oh, brother did i goof by not going.

tell me, did they show these in the bigger theater or in one of those small ones where wagon master was relegated?

p.s. your comments about your seatmates broke me up!!

p.p.s. have i missed thunderball? if not, and if it's on a weekend, i may try to at least get to that one.

p.p.p.s i have to put in a word for "vintage" sean...i think like fine wine the man aged incredibly well, in fact he's one of the few who really kept the "IT factor" up into his social security years.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'll completely agree, he aged perfectly.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hi ladies, and thank you so much. I just saw some of Sean Connery's AFI tribute on YouTube; he's salty and feisty as ever, but he did seem touched by the accolades from his fellow actors. And though he is older...he still has "IT." These young turks today can't bottle it, or peddle it or 'reality tv' it. You've either got it or you haven't. Honey, they don't have it. And Sean Connery does. As Bond, he's so cruel, and so cold, but that magnetism...it's literally palpable in the theatre. Or maybe the thermostat is on high at MoMA.

The screenings have been in Theatre 1, not the theatre we saw "WagonMaster." I had a great conversation with guard who said this was a 400-seat theatre. I think we saw "WagonMaster" in Theatre 2. Well...that theatre felt larger anyway. I believe they're showing 35mm prints. Aaah...my seatmates. I need to put a coat over the seat next to me and ban uhmmm...fib to folks under 11 and over 75 from sitting next to me. I have to tell them the seat's taken. Ugh! The grunts and groans from my seniors is annoying while I'm trying to keep track of my own sighs and swoons. ACK!!

"THUNDERBALL" will be shown Saturday, October 20th at 2:00pm. Only three Connery Bonds left: "DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER" "DR. NO" and "THUNDERBALL." I don't think I'll do Roger Moore, but I am interested in re-visiting Dalton, Brosnan and Daniel Craig. Hey, I bought a Museum membership; might as well get my money's worth. It would have been a great Girls Day Out if you gals had joined me for the Connery-fest.

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"Red wine with fish. That should have told me something." Bond upon learning Red Grant was a Russian spy!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I would love seeing any movie with you guys.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If I can ever get up there I'd like to be one of the girls.
Chris

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Kingme's Bond Rankings (New)

1) Sean Connery

First and Foremost ... Best 007 of all times. The older I get the more and more I appreciate him ... man he had it all. Charm, Humor, Poise, and most of all Charisma.

2) Pierce Brosnan

I like his style, humor, and poise as 007.

3) George Lazenby

Only did one movie, but I was very disappointed that he did not do more.

4) Roger Moore

He used to be Number 2 on my list ... older I get the more and more I dislike him. Spy Who Loved Me is his only film that I like ... and he may go down to Number 5 ... time will tell.

5) Timothy Dalton

He and Moore are so close ... in time he might overtake Moore and Lazenby. He was good ... but has some flaws that I just can't put a finger on it.

6) Daniel Craig

Timothy Dalton used to be in 6th place, after watching Quantum of Solace ... his rating dropped dramatically and I did not care for that movie and therefore could Dalton moved up ...
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

“YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE” ( 1967 ) - LEWIS GILBERT

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Bond films are educational. Uh-hunh. They are to! With these films, we travel around the world and see a bit of other cultures. NEXT STOP: THE LAND OF THE RISING SUN. I learned more about Japan after seeing this film than I knew before. It’s good to see Japan in all its 1967 neon-lit modernity and not ravaged by atomic blitzkrieg, Godzilla’s rampage, crouching tigers or feudal lords; not that anything’s wrong with that.

This is a sharp and vibrant entry in the 007 world. Nancy Sinatra handles the sweetly melancholic, haunting melody of the theme song. The audience showed Roald Dahl some love as his name appears in the credits. A very literate script. James Bond is thoroughly ensconced in the Japanese culture. He’s an equal opportunity lover, having dalliances with beautiful Asian women, becomes Japanese ( a la Mickey Rooney in “Breakfast at Tiffany”-style but with more racial sensitivity ) and learns a new martial arts skill ( though nothing can replace his trusty Walther PPK. ) Commander Bond looks dashing in his naval uniform. From the ominous first set-piece of a hijacked rocket ship, Bond has to sort out who is stealing U.S. and U.S.S.R. rocket ships from outer space. But first...he has to be killed.

THE CAST:

SEAN CONNERY IS James Bond. (( > SIGH! < )) What more can I say. TETSURO TAMBA plays Tiger. He’s the operative in Japan as Pedro Armendariz was in Turkey in “From Russia With Love.” Tiger is not like Ong in “The Letter.” He’s not mincing behind Bond-san. He leads the way. He’s in charge. He calls the shots. And he has a great sonorous speaking voice. Mmmm. TERU SHIMADA plays Mr. Osato. Industrialist. Big Cheese. And a minion to Number One, the Big Boss. I love those business guys who think they have it under control but don’t have a clue. ( I posted two pictures of Shimada above. When he was younger and in the Bond film. ) AKIKO WAKABAYASHI plays Aki, the agent who saves Bond's life so many times in the movie. She’s sooo together; competent, attractive, a helluva a driver, and yes...she’s fallen hard for Bond too. But he cannot save her when her time comes.

KARIN DOR plays Helga Brant. She has fire engine red hair and is Mr. Osato’s assistant with a touch of Ilsa, She-Wolf of the S.S. Is any body getting any work done with these bombshell assistants around carrying steno pads and Lechters??? Miss Brandt’s given orders to kill Bond. But there’s nothing in the books that says she can’t have her way with him first. I wonder what Genevieve Page could have done with this role. MIE HAMA plays Kissy Suzuki, one of Tiger Tanaka’s best agents. She doesn’t really have much to do in this...except to marry Bond. She does shoot a gun...once. And of course, there's Blofeld:

He demands results. Oh yeah, he's crazy alright. And I'm not sure if his cat even liked him. It is just the teensiest bit hard to take him seriously, but it's also easy for me to get into the spirit of things.

MY FAVORITE MOMENTS:

* The drama and horror of that gigantic space ship swallowing up the smaller one, cutting off an astronaut floating outside the ship, from his pipeline. Geezus! The music was very dramatic. I love the music in the James Bond films. They underscore everything perfectly.

* Bond’s fight in Mr. Osato’s office with that big guy. Bond takes a beating and I love the Foley artists. I think that it is the second best ( Connery ) fight since Bond and Grant in the train compartment in "From Russia With Love."

* Chasing down Aki in an alley, and then she stops running. Bond goes down a silver chute and plops down on a couch in front of Tanaka.

* Car chase where Aki calls for back-up. It comes, in the shape of a helicopter with a gigantic magnet on it to pick up the bad guys’ car. Love the staccato music by Barry here.

* “Q” brings ‘Little Nellie’ and I love the jump cuts showing her fully assembled.

* The helicopter chase ( w/ Little Nellie ) scene over the mountains of Japan. I even love the rear screen projection.

* The poison dripping down to...Aki.

* The wedding scene which reveals actress the very pretty Mie Hama.

* The big fight scene inside the volcano’s space station:

Oh man oh man oh man, I was 15 years old again. Those ninjas coming down their ropes, explosions, fighting, Bond trying to make his way to the launch to stop them from sending off the rocket ship. The cacophony of sounds, explosions, guns, bombs, swords. In fact I always wait for that ONE ninja who dispatches bad guys with his samurai, and the way he puts it back into is sheath with flair. That flair has gotten me ev’ry time since 1967.

MY FAVORITE LINES:

* For a European, you are exceptionally cultivated.

HELGA: “I’ve got you now.”
BOND: “Well enjoy yourself.”

She slaps him.

TIGER: “They told me you were assassinated in Hong Kong.”
BOND: “This is my second life.”
TANAKA: “You only live twice Mr. Bond.”

“DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER” ( 1971 ) - GUY HAMILTON

"I don't need love
For what good will love do me
Diamonds never lie to me
For when you're gone

They last on....."- Shirley Bassey

Diamonds might be forever, but I'm afraid they didn’t shine brightly for me in my recent viewing of the movie. I was crazy about "DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER" when it first came out, but seeing it now, it’s gone down in my estimation. The U.S. doesn’t travel well as an exotic locale; and Vegas? Oy! But to be fair, this is in comparison to the locales in the other Connery/Bond films. I think when I saw the movie on its initial release, I was really just applauding the fact that Sean Connery was back in the saddle as 007.

A more modern outlook is given the Bond film by having two gay henchmen bump off folks. They add a little humor, maybe made fun of slightly, but they’re just as deadly. Then there are the two women ( Thumper and Bambi ) who are sent to open a can of whomp-a$$ on Bond. I took it as a nod to the feminism of the time. But seeing their fight scene this go ‘round, I'd have to say I don’t know if they could even fight their way out of a paper back much less a slightly paunchy Bond. The sharp cut of these “Diamonds...” has been dulled by time for me. But hearing SHIRLEY BASSEY belt out the theme song was wonderful...wonderful. ( Dang, she held that beautifully. )

ImageImage and Image

THE CAST:

JILL ST. JOHN is Tiffany Case, the middle-"man" in getting these diamonds. She starts off strong, serious, in charge. But she deteriorates into bimboism as the movie goes on. But hey, she can say what few can say...she was a Bond girl. The two henchmen were played by BRUCE GLOVER and PUTTER SMITH. They are credible henchman. They may not use brute force, but they get the job done. Look at the henchman on the left with the perfume sprayer. Look familiar? His son is noted actor Crispin Glover. As I see the film now, seeing the henchman Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd, they remind me of two other henchman from classic films that alludes to them being in a relationship:

Lee Van Cleef and Earl Holliman with Jean Wallace in "The Big Combo"

Ahhh...Blofeld is back, this time to do damage from outerspace with the help of diamonds. CHARLES GRAY now gets a chance to plays the Nehru-style military jacket wearing baddie. He begs the question, why aren’t these bad guys as visceral as Bond. They think with their head...they can’t duke it out themselves without henchmen. They manage to get women, but through money and power and not charm. Gray does a decent job as a man who wants to take over the world. Jimmy Dean and Bruce Cabot round out the cast. But I was disappointed with the overall effect of this movie.

MY FAVORITE MOMENT:

The car chase through the Vegas strip, and Bond’s car tipping on its two wheels to escape.

MY FAVORITE LINE:

Gangsters, led by character actor MARC LAWRENCE take Bond’s latest conquest and throw her out of his hotel window. She lands in a pool waaaaay below:

BOND: “Exceptionally fine shot.”
LAWRENCE: “I didn’t know there was a pool down there.”

My Bond experience is about to change by adding a different ingredient. I’m going to see TIMOTHY DALTON and PIERCE BROSNAN put their stamp on this iconic character in MoMA’s next couple of screenings...

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm with you on "You Only Live Twice." The climactic battle may be a bit too big but it's exciting. We're pretty close on "Diamonds Are Forever" too. Those goofy henchmen are a little too goofy. The whole Willard White voice duplication is a bit off the wall too.

I do like the scene where Bond rides the outside elevator to the top and swings his way over to the right place to get in. The drawback to the car chase in Vegas for me was it felt like too many times they were running up and down the same street.

John Barry is my favorite film composer. The few times he didn't do the music always felt like something was different. I think he eventually gave his blessing on David Arnold to take over the Brosnan series.
Chris