Where Eagles Dare ... 1968 War Classic

Rita Hayworth

Where Eagles Dare ... 1968 War Classic

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Starring Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood ... and host of others great actors and actresses.
They wore captured German Uniforms to retrieved an Important American General.
Burton with Mary Ure who played Mary Ellison and Eastwood with Ingrid Pitt who played Heidi. They were sensational in this movie.

From Internet Movie Database in Blue
Storyline
During WW2 a British aircraft is shot down and crashes in Nazi held territory. The Germans capture the only survivor, an American General, and take him to the nearest SS headquarters. Unknown to the Germans the General has full knowledge of the D-Day operation. The British decide that the General must not be allowed to divulge any details of the Normandy landing at all cost and order Major John Smith to lead a crack commando team to rescue him. Amongst the team is an American Ranger, Lieutenant Schaffer, who is puzzled by his inclusion in an all British operation. When one of the team dies after the parachute drop, Schaffer suspects that Smith's mission has a much more secret objective.

Directed by Brian G. Hutton
Written and Screenplay by Alistair MacLean

It was on the Military Channel last night and I learned something new that Alistair MacLean wrote both the Script and the Screenplay in six short weeks and when he finished ... Richard Burton saw the Script and Screenplay and wanted to star in this movie. Later, on he wrote a fictional novel based on this movie and it is one of his best novels.

I enjoy this movie and I seen this movie many times in my life and I find it exciting, unique and full of fast pace action that never leave a dull moment. I was 9 years old when this movie came out and my Parents and family went to see this movie and we all loved it. It was one of the better movies that came out that year and I consider this fictional World War Two movie one of the best ever made. It was EPIC and the action is never a dull moment. The last 30 minutes of the movie was so unreal that I couldn't take my eyes off of it and I enjoy it immensely.

This is one of Clint Eastwood's better work as an actor in his younger days and he was privileged to work with Richard Burton who played Major Smith ... a British Army Major that led this crack commando team to retrieve an important American General that was captured by the Nazis.

Played by Robert Beatty who played General George Carnaby. Shown Here.

He was good in this movie ... and he is one of my favorite character actors too.

Richard Burton in his later years ... commented that he enjoyed working with Clint Eastwood who played Schaffer ... the only American Officer with the rank of 1st Lieutenant to assist Major Smith. They got along famously in this movie and had great chemistry in this one.

Anyway, I had a blast watching this movie last night for the 2nd time this year.

If you are a World War II movie bluff (even it is fictional) like me ... you will not be disappointed in this movie and I consider it one of the best that ever made and one of my personal favorites as well. Good Action, Suspense, Drama, Humor, and Excitement that makes this movie a very enjoyable one to see. The acting from top to bottom is top notch and even the secondary actors and actresses were memorable as well.

I strongly recommend this movie.
Last edited by Rita Hayworth on June 17th, 2012, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuart.uk

Re: Where Eagles Dare ... 1968 War Classic

Post by stuart.uk »

I get annoyed when WED is referred as the Burton/Eastwood film, simply because I felt Scottish actress Mary Ure made as much as a contribution to the movie. For example when Burton drove the bus, Ure's Mary Ellison stood shoulder to shoulder with Eastwood as they fought of persuing German's with machine guns. Then when Burton and Eastwood laid down explosive charges on a bridge, it was Ure who gave them cover as they got back onto the bus.

It's a great film
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I agree with you Stuart ... good observations about the Burton/Eastwood comment. And, the Scottish actress Mary Ure reference as well. I appreciate these comments here.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Kingme

I chuckle when comparing WED to an earlier Burton/Ure film Look Back In Anger. In LBIA Burton was abusive toward wife Ure, whereas, in WED, while still a man of violence, Burton's met his match in his romantic rellationship with Ure, who can take care of herself.

In an earlier Alistair Mclean novel, adapted into a film, The Guns Of Naverone, Irene Papas played an action heroine not to unlike Ure in WED. However, in Mclean's Ice Station Zebra, it's an all male cast. That could be because Submarine crews were I assume all male in 1968, but now if they remade the film, an actress could play either of the main roles played by Sub skipper Rock Hudson, agent Patrick McGoohan and double agent Ernest Borgnine and be credible
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

My husband's favourite film, we've even visited the castle. Very different from Look Back in Anger.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

charliechaplinfan wrote:My husband's favourite film, we've even visited the castle. Very different from Look Back in Anger.
Thanks for sharing this CCFan ... and even visited the Castle ... Wow!