Our Visiting Guest Star Author in June

Please read any new threads in this forum

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

moira finnie
Administrator

Our Visiting Guest Star Author in June

Post by moira finnie »

Many a classic movie lover may have wished to spend an evening with a unique actress from the studio era, Kay Francis. The Silver Screen Oasis is pleased to offer a reasonable facsimile this June when we host biographer Scott O'Brien, the author of:

Kay Francis: I Can't Wait To Be Forgotten (BearManor Media). Mr. O'Brien will be on hand here for a week from Monday, June 16th-Friday, June 20th to discuss all things "Kayriffic".

Kay Francis was a misty cinematic figure, barely remembered by older audience members, until TCM began to air her entertaining and enlightening films from the '20s, '30s and '40s regularly on their network. Her reputation has since spawned a minor renaissance as new fans have learned to cherish her sophisticated style and independent spirit in everything from The Cocoanuts (1929) to Trouble in Paradise(1932) to In Name Only(1939) to Four Jills in a Jeep(1944).

Scott O'Brien, who maintains a website at http://www.kayfrancisbiography.com/ , has written his biography of Miss Francis with clear-eyed affection, offering readers a great deal of insight into her public and private adventures, her withdrawal from show business, and her singular cinematic persona, (not to mention her dazzling clothes sense). One of the SSO's distinguished former guests, Mick LaSalle, has written that Scott O'Brien's book is: "Extensively researched, considered, [and] well-written. He talked to everybody. He nailed down facts (such as her real birthday: She was actually younger than some books have said), and he did right by his subject. Kay Francis was an actress who said she couldn't wait to be forgotten, but she doesn't deserve to be forgotten, and thanks to Turner Classic Movies her films have found a new audience. She was one of the great pre-Code women, and if you're curious about her, Scott O'Brien has written the book that has everything you want to know."

Naming the book one of the Best of 2006, Laura Wagner wrote in Classic Images magazine that "O'Brien has a way with words as he beautifully examines Kay's films. He treats her private life with respect, without shying away from some unpleasantries. He skillfully uses Kay's own diary to paint a picture of an independent woman ahead of her time."

Kay Francis: I Can't Wait To Be Forgotten is now available in its second edition through bookstores, libraries and online through such sites as Amazon, Barnes and Noble and the publisher, BearManor Media.
While we can't offer anyone a One Way Passage with the lovely Kay Francis on a cruise, we hope that you'll join us in June for the next best thing--a cyber-cruise with Mr. O'Brien to discuss all things Kay at our non-profit website, The Silver Screen Oasis from June 19-20, 2008! We'll have the Paradise cocktails ready.

(Images courtesy of the author, Scott O'Brien).
Last edited by moira finnie on June 26th, 2008, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Moira, you get us the best guests :D .

My must have book list continues to grow :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ken123

Post by ken123 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Moira, you get us the best guests :D .

My must have book list continues to grow :wink:

I agree. :wink:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks CCfan & Ken.

Hey, Ken, I think you were the first person who put a bee in my bonnet about finding this author when you wrote a recommendation of this gentleman's book on Kay some time ago. I guess that means it should be your responsibility to drive the cyber-caddy up to the SSO dock in San Francisco to pick up Mr. O'Brien and bring him back to our imaginary clubhouse for our cinematic book party, eh?
Yes, even Kay & Bill Powell think you can spend too much time on line thinking about how lovely One Way Passage can be. :wink:

I hope that this means you'll both try to stock up on Kay Francis movies as well as studying Scott O'Brien's book before he arrives, huh? I just noticed that one of Kay's most interesting movies is coming up on TCM (ccfan, I wish you got this, too):
Mary Stevens, M.D. (1933)
June 4th @ 8:45AM EDT
Last edited by moira finnie on May 14th, 2008, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Thank You Moira ! :wink:
benwhowell

Post by benwhowell »

"I Can't Wait To Be Forgotten" is a great title! Sounds like a really fascinating read.
I'd also like to know more about that "portrait" of Kay you included in your original post, Moira...
What an exquisite image of an "independent woman ahead of her time."
Reminds me of the Wyeths, Grant Wood and Edward Hopper...
Handsome Johnny Eck
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Ben,
That beautiful 1925 portrait is entitled "Katharine Francis" by Sir Gerald Kelly and appears courtesy of the author, Scott O'Brien.

Sir Gerald did many portraits of those in the arts, including Ernest Thesiger, Ralph Vaughan Williams, and, oh, yes, a few royals here and there. If you'd like to see more, you can visit the National Portrait Gallery for a look, found here.

It's good to see you posting. I hope that you'll be able to read the book and participate in the conversation with Scott. (I love that title too.)
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

:D What wonderful news! That book has been on my "wish list" forever! :( I'm so backed up on my reading, but it's definitely a possible Christmas gift idea!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"I Can't Wait To Be Forgotten." Great title. I used to kid everyone that in high school I was voted most likely to be forgotten.

So far, so good.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."