Have Gun Will Travel or Wanted: Dead or Alive

movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Have Gun Will Travel or Wanted: Dead or Alive

Post by movieman1957 »

While watching the latest disc of "Wanted: Dead or Alive" I was struck by how often stock footage is used. That goes for the same sets.

The first three episodes on the disc used the same establishing shot. (I know that wouldn't be obvious to anyone watching them a week apart.) But even with that they often used the same set for what ever town they were in. Change a few signs and it's good to go. They even use the same footage of McQueen riding down this wet trail past some familiar looking trees.

It saves money but it gives me a laugh wondering how many times they can use the same shot.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Has anybody mentioned the June Lockhart episodes? Dude! I thought Paladin was going to wire her! June is a frontier doctor who enjoys the respect, and a little more, of the knight without armor. The man is nuts about her. I like that. It gives depth to both characters. I wonder how far it went.

I like this western too. There's reason to believe the half hour format was ideal for TV. DRAGNET, TWILIGHT ZONE, my beloved SUPERMAN. Put it out there. Get it done. Works real well.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I liked the June Lockhart episodes, too. Paladin did seem to have a chink in his armor for her. Funny you mention her, she was the guest star yesterday's Encore airing of "Wagon Train" in one of its harshest episodes.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The Lockhart episodes were good and I think he appreciated her for what she was doing and the way she stood up to the town. She was not some of these uptown dressed up types that would hang around the lobby of the hotel. There was some depth and I think that is what he appreciated about her.

They have started to go around again so maybe they'll come along on TV and maybe they are already available on Netflix streaming.
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Miss Goddess, will you describe the WAGON TRAIN episode for me? I probably saw it 40 odd years ago! I have to say this is my favorite western. Paladin, Matt, even upright Lucas McCain had a lot to offer. But this near epic series featured not only strong regular characters, but guest stars with stories that held up on their own.

Major Adams and his crew led us through some of the most fascinating TV I've seen.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Red, it's "The Sarah Drummond Story" from the first season of Wagon Train. One of those that takes place mostly away from the train and the Major. Flint (Robert Horton) comes across a pregnant woman (Lockhart) and her husband (Gene Evans) who doesn't want Flint around or for him to bring help for his wife when her time comes. He's bent on keeping anyone from finding out that she was raped by an Indian and about to give birth to its result. The show is one of the most frank I've seen on such a subject from that time...I can imagine how uncomfortable many might have been with it and I believe many today would be equally uncomfortable with the show's tolerant attitude, if for different reasons. Funny how no matter how much people change they stay the same. If you have Netflix, it's available for instant watching on the contraption of your choice.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0743252/

In another cross-refernce, the episode features William Talman who was one of the guest stars on today's broadcast of "Gunsmoke". I just love how all these players wander in and out of the various series, sometimes in the same day, on Encore.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Wow! That storyline in, what? 1953? 55? Wow! They don't call it The Golden Age for nothing!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I wonder if the other soldiers of fortune teased Paladin about his relationship with June Lockhart. "Dude! Lassie's mom!"
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

"Dude! Lassie's mom!"
Dude! Saying that in some parts could get you in a heap o' trouble. She was Timmy's mom, not Lassie's!

Let's remember her as Mrs. Genaro, who could have -- but didn't -- blow her husband's cover in T-MEN. Or, the original Mrs. Robinson in Lost in Space.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I pulled this oldie thread out because while watching today's episode, the young guy Whitney looked so familiar but although I wracked my pea brain trying to figure out who he was, I had to wait for the credits to run to find out. Well, you could have knocked me out with a feather when I saw his name was Duane Eddy :o :o :roll: :roll: One of my teen crushes. Now if he had been holding a guitar at any point, I would probably have guessed quickly, but no. . . they have him playing a harmonica of all things. He was so handsome (similar to Michael Landon), that I often wondered why he didn't go into acting, and now I find he actually did try it out. I'm kind of sorry he didn't continue.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Six years later and both shows still going strong on smaller cable channels. Still prefer "Have Gun" but "Wanted" is still pretty good as McQueen does well as the quiet hero.
Chris