Two Rode Together

ken123

Two Rode Together

Post by ken123 »

Was the original or was it the working title for the John Wayne - John Ford Western Classic " The Searchers ". But Ford did make a film titled " Two Rode Together " with Jimmy Stewart, Richard Widmark, and Shirley Jones in the leads. It has has all the elements that make Ford's films great, including many members of his stock company. But the interplay between Stewart and Widmark is something to behold. Linda Cristal is outstanding as a captive Henry Brandon and trhe Comanchees. Racism and bigotry are exposed as only Ford could do it. :)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I love the scene at the dance, the way Ford introduces the former Indian captive girl and the reactions of all the guests. He makes his point, alright. Superb stuff.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I've only seen it once on commercial TV, but I found it very interesting.

I've just finished reading "Company of Heroes" by Harry Carey Jr., and his comments on "Two Rode Together" are interesting. Richard Widmark comes across as very admirable. Carey sees this film as a collection of bits of business from all sorts of earlier Ford westerns.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

MikeBSG wrote:I've only seen it once on commercial TV, but I found it very interesting.

I've just finished reading "Company of Heroes" by Harry Carey Jr., and his comments on "Two Rode Together" are interesting. Richard Widmark comes across as very admirable. Carey sees this film as a collection of bits of business from all sorts of earlier Ford westerns.
Isn't Carey's book a great read? I really enjoyed it and I emailed him my appreciation. He was nice enough to reply.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It's on Dec. 8 at 2:15pm. After an extended time on the Westerns channel we get it on TCM and this time in Widescreen. (Yeah.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:It's on Dec. 8 at 2:15pm. After an extended time on the Westerns channel we get it on TCM and this time in Widescreen. (Yeah.)
Great! I do look forward to seeing it again.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I discovered this movie as a teen and don't think I've ever missed seeing it, in any version (with commercials, without, etc), since. I always have a hard time deciding between it and the Searchers as my favorite western of all time, in fact, I don't think I've ever made the choice.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
kimpunkrock

Post by kimpunkrock »

I love this movie and cannot believe that it is not on DVD yet!!

Thank god for Encore's The Westerns Channel because it plays Two Rode Together a lot.

I love both James Stewart and Richard Widmark in this one.
It is really an amazing movie and one with a history lesson within it.

A DVD release is badly needed.
"Wars may come and wars may go but art is forever."---Leslie Howard in the 49th Parallel
ken123

Post by ken123 »

kimpunkrock wrote:I love this movie and cannot believe that it is not on DVD yet!!

Thank god for Encore's The Westerns Channel because it plays Two Rode Together a lot.

I love both James Stewart and Richard Widmark in this one.
It is really an amazing movie and one with a history lesson within it.

A DVD release is badly needed.
I agree ! :D
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I wish TCM would have Harry Carey, Jr and Robert O do a month spotlighting Carey, Sr's films ala what RO did with Bill Wellman, Jr.

I could even go for a couple of nights of spotlighting Harry, Jr's Ford films as well with Carey there talking to Robert O.

I understand he did the latter a few years back but I missed it.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

kimpunkrock

Post by kimpunkrock »

Lzcutter wrote:I wish TCM would have Harry Carey, Jr and Robert O do a month spotlighting Carey, Sr's films ala what RO did with Bill Wellman, Jr.

I could even go for a couple of nights of spotlighting Harry, Jr's Ford films as well with Carey there talking to Robert O.

I understand he did the latter a few years back but I missed it.

I agree wholeheartedly with this.
"Wars may come and wars may go but art is forever."---Leslie Howard in the 49th Parallel
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

These are just a few rambling thoughts on the Western vote. I'm surprised that movies like Two Rode Together, and Cheyenne Autumn didn't make it to even the first round for voting, while things like McCabe and Mrs. Miller did. Unfortunately however, since TCM is the only channel that offers a steady diet of older movies, many people have missed so many fine westerns. We have such a small group to choose from, since TCM no longer has the Western Roundup days like they did at one time. We're lucky to get one western a week.

People haven't been exposed to some of the exciting stuff that guys like Tyrone Power, Robert Taylor, and Allan Ladd have done, because they worked under studios that TCM doesn't have rights to show.

Few TCM fans have seen Powers Untamed, Rawhide, or Captain from Castile, or Ladds, Guns of the Timberland, or Badlanders. Robert Taylor was funny, tough and romantic in Many Rivers to Cross (written by Rod Serling).

That's part of the reason there were so many John Ford choices - not that I don't think they belonged there, simply that certain movies aren't even known to TCM fans. Allan Ladd played a great Jim Bowie in The Iron Mistress, and I really believe some folks may have voted for Powers Captain from Castile if they had seen it. I put a couple of films on my list that have never been shown on TCM and I wonder how many other TCM members have seen them. Nor can I believe that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were not in the first round.

As I said originally, just ramblings, but are there any other western fans that know of fine movies that were totally overlooked due to lack of viewing power?

Anne
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"Cheyenne Autumn" has a great fault in my opinion. I think it woudl have been a far better film if they had dropped the whole middle with Jimmy Stewart and the coach ride. It busts up a serious flow for a bit of fun. They must have thought it needed a break. It just messed up the flow.

"Rawhide" is pretty good but I don't think it rises into greatness. The part with Elam at the end is cruel beyond words but fascinating.

I've never heard of "The Iron Mistress." I'll keep an eye.

Some things like "Escape From Ft. Bravo" and "Last Train From Gun Hill" and "Jubal" are really good but I'm not sure they are great. I didn't care much for "McCabe and Mrs. Miller."

I guess I'm most surprised that "Dances With Wolves" didn't make it. Although there has never been much, if any, discussion here it still seems an odd omission.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi Chris:

I didn't mean to say that those movies I mentioned, or some that you named were 'great' movies. I only wanted to point out that if people restrict their 'favorite' choices to only movies seen on TCM, they are not getting to see the work done by actors and directors of studios that TCM does not have license to. People forget how limited the TCM library was for all those years and only in the past 18 months have had access to other studios.

The Iron Mistress is a glorified life of Jim Bowie much like Yankee Doodle Dandy is the glorified life story of George M. Cohan. However, that doesn't take away from the actors portrayal, or how the director directed it, and unfortunately many people, like you, have not had the opportunity to see it due to the fact that they don't have FOX or any of the paid movie channels. Since most of our discussions and favorites are based on old movies, chances are likely that people will NEVER get to see these unsung gems because they don't have access, or even knowledge that they exist. I wonder how many TCM people have seen The Mississippi Gambler with Ty Power, or Band of Angels, starring Gable but with a large supporting part by Sidney Poitier, which gives a good example of how he grew from one movie to the next, until he became Oscar material.

Anne
Anne