Gunsmoke or Bonanza...discuss

ken123

Post by ken123 »

mrsl wrote:Like Movieman, Judith says it all for me. Since discussing Gunsmoke here on this thread, I've found it on TVLand and watched a few times, but it just doesn't hold me. For one thing, I cannot swallow the relationship between the Sheriff and Miss Kitty. Why would a Sheriff be so close to the person whose place of business is responsible for housing most of the trouble makers in his town?

Anne
Matt probably had an interest ( 10 % ) in the saloon( ahem ) just like Jimmy Stewart had, as sheriff Guthrie McCabe, had in John Ford's Two Rode Together. A four time sherriff of Cook County father was the protector of the dope peddlers on the West Side of Chicago, as so it was reported by The Chicago Crime Commission report ( circa 1961 ) When the son was elected sherriff in 1970 his father, a member of the Cook County Board of Commissioners, was deceased. Crime and law enforcement has always been closely aligned. The mobster in charge of the dope on the West Side, Lenny Patrick, was a longtime pal of Jack Ruby
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I only watched the later episodes of Gunsmoke as reruns growing up---my Mother hated Bonanza so it was never shown. I finally saw bonanza on TV Land a few years ago and I like it, but only the shows with Pernell Roberts. After he left it became totally silly.

However, I still think Gunsmoke leagues better from start to finish in quality of writing, stories, and realism.

I have just recently began watching the first seasons as they are released (oh, so slowly) to dvd and I think they are MARVELOUS! It's fascinating to see early on they were more frank as they show that Miss Kitty worked (this was before she became the owner) in an undisguised brothel. :shock:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

mrsl wrote: Why would a Sheriff be so close to the person whose place of business is responsible for housing most of the trouble makers in his town?

Anne
I guess because in the TV world if she didn't we wouldn't have any stories.

As far as their relationship went I think there was the thought of what do they do with the characters if they get together, so to speak. How many TV shows were ruined after the main love interests got married? It lost and the tension and suspense. Maybe they always wanted to leave you guessing. Even the one movie with Kitty didn't resolve anything.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
halcarter

Post by halcarter »

Gunsmoke for me. I was of an age where Matt wasn't the only one interested in Kitty.

Were Adam, Hoss and Little Joe all offspring of the same woman or was Mr Cartwright a widower three times over?

hal
Last edited by halcarter on April 5th, 2008, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Yes, three different mothers, each of whom died, and each of whom had an episode dealing with Ben's relationship with her. As I recall, Adam's mother was a New Englander (Ben had been a merchant sailor; maybe he was a captain? I forget); Hoss' mother was a Swedish pioneer whom Ben met when he was going west in a wagon train with his little son to mine the Comstock Lode; Joe's mother was a French Creole woman from New Orleans - I don't remember that episode very well. I do remember that Adam's mother was played by Geraldine Brooks, and Hoss' mother by Inga Swenson.

On Bonanza, once you kissed a Cartwright, you were a goner.
halcarter

Post by halcarter »

jdb1 wrote:
On Bonanza, once you kissed a Cartwright, you were a goner.

Thank you, I knew the story once but it all seems so foggy now having not been a regular watcher of the show. But, as in so many other instances I have found the message board stirs up all manner of things to suddenly get curious about.

Sometimes I think nostalgia should be restricted to those young enough to make use of it :wink:

hal
Last edited by halcarter on April 5th, 2008, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

For me, it was "Gunsmoke" all the way. Watching it on Monday nights with my grandfather was a family ritual, and I still remember some of the episodes, such as when Michael Learned found an amnesic Matt in the desert and fell in love with him, only to have to say goodbye when he recovered his memory.

Later on, I got a number of the "Gunsmoke" radio show tapes and enjoyed those. Seeing the early half-hour TV episodes on DVD is also fun. There is one, "The Killer" with Charles Bronson as the bad guy, that is fantastic.

Oddly, "Bonanza" never registered with me. I remember watching the opening credits, but I don't think I ever really watched an episode. However, it seemed that everyone at school liked Hoss, and there seemed to be real sadness when Dan Blocker died.

Two anti-Bonanza items. Joseph H. Lewis was hired to direct for "Bonanza" and hated it. he thought the actors were all jerks and went off and directed "The Big Valley" instead. (And might "The Big Valley" be seen as an anti-Bonanza? My wife thinks so.0

I love the movie "Tin Men," in which one of the salesmen goes on and on about how "Bonanza doesn't present a true picture of the American West." After all, "You've got a father and three sons, and they're all forty years old."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Two anti-Bonanza items. Joseph H. Lewis was hired to direct for "Bonanza" and hated it. he thought the actors were all jerks and went off and directed "The Big Valley" instead. (And might "The Big Valley" be seen as an anti-Bonanza? My wife thinks so.0

Weren't they tied to one another somehow? Because in both shows there are several episodes that are carbon-copies of each other, plot and character-wise.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Great discussion, everybody. It's always interesting when TV shows were on the air as long as these two were your perception of them is often influenced by:

A) What era of the series did you start watching in. With the revolving casts over the years you could identify with some of the support characters or be completely turned off by them.

B) In many of our cases, depending on age, these were the days of one television set per household (black and white in my case until the latter 60's). So what we watched was often controlled by our parents or big bully siblings as the case may be.

I enjoy hearing stories of those of you who would regularly watched these shows with your dad, moms, etc...

My kids' memories will involve which DVD did Dad pop into the machine tonight. But at least I can still get them together to watch at least once a week, and for that I am eternally grateful.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 4th, 2008, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Chris: I wish videos had been around when my kids were small, by the time they did appear, the VCR was so expensive, it was hard to actually have one, they finally got to a normal price when my kids were well into their teens.

Miss Goddess: There was no connection between Bonanza and The Big Valley, although Miss Stanwyck, Mom in The Big Valley was sometimes referred to as the female Ben Cartwright.

Mike BSG: Dan Blocker was a very pleasant fellow - similar to John Candy, who appeared at all kinds of charity events as well as other events, and was happy to do autographs, so when he died, it was like a friend had passed, in addition, Hoss was a totally likable character, always happy and smiling, even when he got into a fight.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

I'll take THE BIG VALLEY over all of 'em!
ken123

Re:

Post by ken123 »

Dewey1960 wrote:Why would a Sheriff be so close to the person whose place of business is responsible for housing most of the trouble makers in his town?

'Cause she was a durn fine woman.
& cuz Matt got 10 - 25% of the take.
MikeBSG

Re: Gunsmoke or Bonanza...discuss

Post by MikeBSG »

I've always been a "Gunsmoke" fan, and I have to say I get a big bang out of watching the hour-long Chester episodes on Bravo West mornings at 7 PM. Sometimes they have good guest stars, such as Strother Martin and Warren Oates. But it is just fun to watch the regulars do their thing.