Have Gun Will Travel or Wanted: Dead or Alive

MissGoddess

Re: Have Gun Will Travel or Wanted: Dead or Alive

Post by MissGoddess »

i wonder why i'm not remember if i saw this one or not...i'll have to watch it, now that you made it sound so engrossing. i can see calleia in the show in my mind's eye, i just don't recall the storyline. joe always seemed kind of ageless to me.

HGWT had a few episodes where Paladin's role in life was question-marked. they are among the most interesting in the series.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

WOW! What a beautiful avatar, Is it Brigitte from Viva Maria?

Calleia doesn't look like his earlier self. He has gone very natural, his hair is sparse and white, a little balding, and he seems tired, but of course, that is the character. I like it so much that as he got older, he relied less on his enormous energy, and more on a very natural, realistic acting style... there are parts in this one where I had to go back to hear what he had to say, he was so quiet. I wish he had done more television, his subtle manner was made for it.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

joe was a terrific actor who just got better with age i'm sure, i wish he had done more stuff as he aged. i bet his voice, quiet as it was, sounded unmistakenly the same.
i'm not sure where the avatar picture is from, i just thought the little lamby was cute in her arms.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

This is the problem with getting old. I certainly would have seen this one as I have watched them in order from Netflix as I'm into the later part of the third season. I don't remember it but I'll go back and watch it. Besides it will give me a chance to get a look at your current interest.

HGWT was always good at turning things on its head. Things were not always what they appeared and how they dealt with it makes for interesting viewing.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You know I swear I went through seasons one and two about six months ago, but I don't remember this one at all. I had seen the second episode though when it popped up right after. It makes me wonder if they didn't have the 1st episode available fro streaming yet.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I remember that episode. I didn't even recognize Joseph Calleia in that one. Does anyone know what Paladin was supposed to have done before becoming an erudite gunslinger? Was his character in the Civil War? Was he a philosophy student? Wish I knew more.

In case you think that Calleia always underplayed as he got older, you really have to find a way to see Joe as Mario Lanza's singing coach in 1956's Serenade (yeah, I know I mentioned this before, but it's the Anthony Mann-directed musical that has to be seen to be believed.). In it, Joe makes Mario loosen his collar and tie and belt out a high C that rattles the tea cup at the beginning of their very first lesson. Heck, good way to wreck a newbie's voice, Joe!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

There is an episode from somewhere around season 6 called "Genesis" that gives some background but not much. It shows that he "inherited" the title from another who, I think, picked him. It is one of those intelligent battles of the mind and who can outlast the other.

April could tell you more (and better) until I get to watch it again.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Moira, I see I have to get a copy of Serenade quick!

There's at least one cringe worthy moment from Man of the People (1937) with Joe screaming at the top of his lungs to a crowd at a political meeting, "He's buying you off with hotdogs and beer!Don't listen to him! I'm for you, he's for himself!" or something like that. Granted, I haven't seen the whole movie, but it's difficult to imagine it coming off better in context. It makes me laugh every time I see it.

But in the Paladin episode, he's pure gold. :D

I recommend the Genesis episode that Chris mentioned - it's really good, though not all that informative. I like to think Paladin was something like Richard Boone in real life - going from job to job, some of them dangerous.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

...or Wendy.

I went back to the episode and I remembered it as soon as the boy came down the hill. Martin Balsam shows up later. Isn't amazing how nobody will believe him even though everyone knows the boy was guilty?
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw an interesting episode last night called "A Quiet Night in Town." It was more interesting for the casting and the fact that is was a two part episode.

At the end of the first part it was the first time I had seen the end credits over anything other than the usual closing. But the most interesting casting was of one of the villains. It took me a few minutes but I was able to guess before the credits rolled.

Streaming on Netflix if you want to play the game.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I just started watching that episode, and I felt I had to comment on how much more I like Hey Girl than Hey Boy.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

She always comes off as more well spoken and all around smarter. I wonder if the "Hey Boy" and "Hey Girl" were convenient or he couldn't say their real names? He treats them too well to be insulting.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

According to wiki, they both had real names, divulged in a couple of episodes. I haven't seen them yet.

As for our villain - I recognized his face but could not put a name to it - what a surprise in the credits to find out who he was!

At first, I thought Kincaid was Jack LaRue. It turned out to be Robert Carricart (sorry I wrote the wrong name and had to correct it.)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Of course Paladin would be able to say their real names. He quotes Browning and Shakespeare and Greek philosophers so he's not going to let something like a Chinese name get in his way. How stupid of me to suggest it.

I didn't think our villain acted until much later.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I thought he started out doing acting for TV. He was very good.. sometimes when you see someone who changed the way he did, you don't expect much from them early in their career.

I liked that episode - the sheriff character was somewhat similar to the one Joe Calleia played in The Manhunter episode, and he also reminded me of Hollis, the deputy in John Sayles Lone Star.