Westerns

MissGoddess

Re: Westerns

Post by MissGoddess »

You actually got the whole movie, Jackie? lol! I've never been able to. And you're right, it's got
no real storyline that I can actually follow.

I may be in the minority in this but I've always thought that it was a good thing Ford was
as hard on Wayne as he sometimes was. Someone had to keep him in check! And I love
Wayne, that's no real slam on him it's just that big stars have big egos and can attract
"yes" men by the hundreds if someone isn't around to keep things in perspective once in a while.

There's a cute story Lee Marvin tells in the documentary on the DVD of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
and the gist of his words as told by his widow, Pamela, are this:

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That is AWESOME, MissG! God, I love that! See, Ford knew how to handle things. He might have gone overboard personally once in a while, but as a director, he had the instincts to know when to coddle and when to get out the whip.....

Oh, and by the way, You have just convinced me to spend the money to get that dvd, instead of relying on recordings I made myself.

The only thing that kept me watching that dang movie was knowing that Ben might be riding by the camera every once in a while. :lol:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Interestingly, Jackie, Pamela Marvin said Ford never did any of that kind of stuff with Lee and
Marvin amired Ford deeply. You won't regret getting that dvd, just for the doumentary alone and it's not as
expensive as many others---I think it retails at $14.95.
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw Randolph Scott's (cue chorus) "Ten Wanted Men." OK Scott western. Typical feud of neighboring ranchers. Pretty good supporting cast. Skip Homeier, Richard Boone, Leo Gordon and a few familiar faces thrown in. The problem I had was the movie got weaker as it neared the climax. Situations got a little more hard to buy but mostly some of the stunt work became a distraction. Everything from the timing being a little off to obvious stunt doubles. The most glaring error was a shoot out between Scott and Boone. Boone has to pick up a gun from off a table where Scott has to draw. Boone gets the gun and drops it as he would being shot well before Scott gets his gun in position. It just seems careless.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Who directed Ten Wanted Men, Chris?
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I may be in the minority in this but I've always thought that it was a good thing Ford was
as hard on Wayne as he sometimes was. Someone had to keep him in check! And I love
Wayne, that's no real slam on him it's just that big stars have big egos and can attract
"yes" men by the hundreds if someone isn't around to keep things in perspective once in a while.
Part of it was that Wayne had a comfortable relationship with directors like Howard Hawks and others who gave him more lee-way when they were making pictures together. It's talked about not only in the Bogdanovich interviews with Hawks but also the interviews that Richard Schickel did thatHawks, as the relationship with Wayne matured into the 1960s, didn't mind Wayne's telling the likes of Chris Mitchum and others how to do a scene because as Hawks says "It was less work or me and by then Wayne knew what was needed."

But Wayne never had that type of relationship with John Ford. Coming into Liberty Valance was still the the memory of Ford visiting the set of The Alamo and trying to take over directing that film from Wayne.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm going to get clued up about both Hawks and Ford. I bought 2 books the one on Howard Hawks by Todd Mccarthy (thanks Fernando for the recommendation) and Searching for John Ford by Joseph McBride.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

CCFan---I would caution you to take some of McBride's comments with a grain of salt. He's a
little bit on the obsessed side. Scott Eyman's biography is far more objective and even handed.
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

JackFavell wrote:Who directed Ten Wanted Men, Chris?
Bruce Humberstone. I've seen his name before but I couldn't tell you where.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I can heartily recommend the Scott Eyman book on Ford as well.
charliechaplinfan

I'll see how I get on with this one, the Scott Eyman book did have some negative reviews on Amazon so I've steered away from it before, I'd also steered away from the McBride book because of the length but when I saw it downtown at a steal I couldn't resist. When you say obsessed does this mean he's not objective?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I'll see how I get on with this one, the Scott Eyman book did have some negative reviews on Amazon so I've steered away from it before, I'd also steered away from the McBride book because of the length but when I saw it downtown at a steal I couldn't resist. When you say obsessed does this mean he's not objective?
Yes, he has a definite personal slant that colors his objectivity (with no basis for his theories except that they are
personal) and he's also not always accurate---he even once described a scene in The Searchers that doesn't even
take place! Much of this book is based on a lot of work he did in collaboration with another author who for years was
his partner on the bulk of his Ford research and critical writing---and who mysteriously doesn't seem to get any credit
in the recent editions anyway.

McBride makes some interesting points and I like that he considers Pappy America's "Shakespeare" but there is
too much fanciful speculating and personal interpretation for my taste. I like biographies to maintain a certain
distance from their subject (unless it's a memoir by a relative or close friend), but that's just me, I'm sure you'll like
it fine.
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

I realise John Ford is one of the greatest American directors but in terms of my understanding and appreciation I'm still a bit lacking. I think I need an author to enthuse me and I'll watch his movies along the way. I've already started on a box set that contained one film I really did like The Informer, and I enjoyed The Fugitive. When it comes to his big movies, the Westerns I've seen practically none of them. I've seen none of his silents either. I might still end up with the Eyman book along the way, I can imagine once I've seen his big movies I'll probably want another perspective, thank heavens for Amazon Marketplace :wink: .
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

As for the silents, I think MissG and I would both recommend 3 Bad Men as being exceptionally good.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Recommend? That is an understatement if I ever read one. :D

Alison:

There is a Ford thread or two laying around and there are many of us who are Ford fans and we'd be happy to continue a broad discussion of his films if you want to go that route.

Pick a film.
Chris