Sean Connery - Cowboy???

mrsl

Sean Connery - Cowboy???

Post by mrsl »

Not only is Sean Connery the best (IMO) suave and debonair James Bond, funny and caustic Scottish Laird, and impressive King Richard, but he's not bad as an American cowboy either!!!

I watched Shalako today, and though I may have missed some stuff because I tuned in 20 minutes late, he was very realistic in the title role. Like with Cary Grant (unless I missed it), they never gave reason for his accent, or lordly mannerisms, it wasn't necessary because 10 minutes into watching him, you forgot all that. He looks quite relaxed in the saddle and the six shooter seems to fit his hand very well.

The point is, he's trying to lead a group of European (know it alls), across Indian territory, and they keep giving him a harder time than the Indians are. At one point Stephen Boyd (another boy from the isles across the pond), becomes the bad boy and steals the horses and the ladies jewels and takes off with most of the remaining protective party.

Anyway, Sean eventually saves the day as well as Brigitte Bardot (who is pretty good as a fairly self sufficient young lady), and they ride off into the sunset together. I've never seen BB in anything else since most of her movies were either made in France, or spoken in French, but although not beautiful, she was a very attractive girl in a cute sort of way, in fact I did not find her sexy at all, just attractive and pleasing to the eye.

Shalako is playing this month on the Western Channel (Encore). So try to catch it if you can.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne

Shalako was British made. The butler in the story was played by Eric Sykes, a comic legend, both as a writer and performer in the UK. He wrote with regular Spike Milligan some of radio The Goon Shows that starred Peter Sellers, but was best known for his Syckes sit-com with Hattie Jaques as his sister.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Anne,
I remember seeing Shalako in theatres when it was released with my dad. We had gotten into the habit of going together to see the Connery Bond movies when they came out and this was the first film he did after giving up the Bond role (at least after ONE of the times that he gave up the Bond role). He had opted for this role becuase it was SO different than playing James Bond. He didn't have any particular fascination with playing a cowboy but he thought it would help him escape the stereotype of playing secret agents.

Not a bad film at all.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.