She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

rohanaka

Re: She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Post by rohanaka »

Jackie, I was looking through all the terrific screencaps in this thread after I posted last night.. and here is a link.. it is pvitari's cap of the little tap on the back to Dru's character.. too sweet..

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61 ... n-2479.jpg

And THEN.. ha. in keeping with the theme of things I never noticed about SWAYR before.. I found THIS pic that is VERY similar to one in The Searchers.. only Wardie Bond was the one drinking coffee that time.. all that is missing is the donut. (ha)

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61 ... n-1991.jpg

OH that Pappy.. he sure had a way for expressing those little "intimate" moments in such a natural way that sometimes they are SO natural, you almost don't even notice them.

And yet.. when you DO catch it.. it is a very nice treat, indeed.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

So many moments missed, or maybe we just don't remember them as they are fleeting, subordinate to the story. Thanks for those so much Ro! I would have never seen them on my own.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Moved to the right thread so we can talk about the proper movie here.

Thanks Wendy.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think you may be in the wrong thread, Chris.

I love Victor Mature.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

That's what happens when you working with a migraine. Lord help me.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

OH you poor thing! I hope you have some medication or something?
tinker

Post by tinker »

I know this is an old conversation but I was looking at old threads and included this one and I have to say Paula how beautiful those screencaps are. I particularly loved the ones comparing the films to Remington paintings. Reminds me ( if I neededit) just how beautiful this film is.

I saw this film at Gouldings Lodge last year in Monument Valley. Captain Brittles cabin is now a small movie theatre. Boy there are some ghosts hanging around there. There were some English people also watching teh film who did not know mcuh about Ford but they were blown away by it, by its images of native Americans, and just how good Wayne was.

dee

PS If you ever get a chance to see Monument Valley with a native Navaho guide do not hesitate. It was a day I will never forget.
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I didn't realize Gouldings had been made into a tiny movie theatre, tinker. I knew it was open for visits.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

i think screening JF movies has been a custom at Gouldings for a while, though it might have been less formal than now. was it in a "theater", tinker? hope i can get to MV one day...i still say they should hold a JF film festival there. or a western film festival, in which his films would be the "anchor". my only qualm is i would not want anything to turn that place more into a "tourist" destination if it meant ruining the peace and tranquility there.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Glad you like the screencaps, Tinker! I just finished screencapping Fort Apache (the whole durn thing) and I plan to start posting those in April to go with the John Wayne star of the month thing on TCM. ;) Lots of jaw-dropping horse riding and gorgeous cinematography and fine acting there too. :)
tinker

Post by tinker »

Paula

I'm looking forward to Fort Apache. That is such a beautiful film. How many times are you finding Ben doublin'? :D

April

Captain Brittles cabin looks the same as the film, as does Goulding's house which has a museum inside. The theatre is just a screen, projector and chairs and they show a differnent film every night. Gouldings is a bit sanitised, concrete and motel like but they still have some original cabins ( no dirt floor though)

The most touristy spot is (sadly) John Ford Point and just below the drop in the road down (pretty well where the Fort gate was and the stage going into the valley in Stagecoach) which has lots of jewellery sellers and a (short) guy dressed up as John Wayne. However the mesas are as fabulous as ever, as are the views from Gouldings. I did a day tour with a Navaho guide out into the backcountry where you cannot go alone and I was the only one on the trip. To say it was a fabulous day is an understatment. Apart from the amazing beauty, quite a few Ford filming places away from the main tourist route look like you expect Ben to be galloping over the hill at any minute.

Most of SWAYR was filmed on the valley floor which you can see from Gouldings, but Fort Apache was filmed over the back and the desert from The Searchers.

Its an easy drive from Flagstaff these days (even for aussies driving on the other side of the road. Thank you to whoever it was who invented those yellow lines. Made it very easy.)

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

i can tell you really enjoyed your time in monument valley especially the ride w/the guide. THAT must have been something and if i ever do go there i certainly hope i could have such a guide.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

This morning I caught part of a radio version of "SWAYR." Wayne was the only carry over from the movie. Mel Ferrer and Mala Powers costarred. It was done before an audience.

Not great. Wayne may not have made the best radio star. It certainly pales compared to his acting in the movie. One noticeable mistake but otherwise it was okay. Didn't get to hear the end but I imagine it was condensed to an hour.

I didn't know Wayne did any radio apart from guest shots. So, you still learn something new all the time.
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I wouldn't have thought John Wayne the radio type. The man's no Jack Benny!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Nobody else is Jack Benny. I listen to a lot of different radio comedy shows and for my taste his is far above the other shows.
Chris