She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

knitwit45

Re: She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Post by knitwit45 »

when this thread opened this am, it started at this image. I was struck by how it sums up the Dobe and Ben characters. Dobe is pushing his face forward, eager to see, brash and innocent. Ben is pulling in, bracing for what he knows is about to happen. He is readying himself to take action, but only under Brittles command.

Thanks again, Paula for the lovely caps. Lots of work, but a labor of love, I'm sure.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's a perfect description, Nan! Beautifully put... and it's something I never would have noticed, but I'm sure glad you did.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

mrsl wrote:.I can't stand people who can't walk by a mirror without looking at it

Woops! That would be me. I can't think what else a mirror is for? :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha ha!

Me too. Just making sure I've still got clothes in the right places. You never know when you might have your skirt tucked into your nylons. :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Ah the perils of being female.

I avoid mirrors as much as I can. It's bad enough being me without having to look at me. :)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ken123

Post by ken123 »

A few years back at the other siteI suggested Elle Raines for the Olivia role. Does anyone want to make comments on MsDru or MsRaines I knew mrsl does not care for MsDru it this role.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Knowing Ella pretty much just from "Tall In The Saddle" she can played spoiled pretty well too. To me she would also seem tougher than Dru could play. Maybe that is more than Ford wanted but in the beauty department Ella would have been fine.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I know I've said it before, but I think JD was just great as Olivia. She was supposed to be a spoiled, self-centered young beauty, and she played it as such. We don't all have one ah-ha! moment which changes us forever, most of us grow into an understanding of others, or awareness of our faults. Even then, it can be very tough to change.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm not crazy about Joanna Dru in SWAYR, but I love her in Wagon Master. Ella Raines is great, but as you say, she is more outdoorsy. Dru is a city girl and fits the parts well.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

You're right about the looks, Ella has it all over Joanne in the looks department. I know she is supposed to be a spoiled, self-centered city girl, and she does play it that way in both roles, but the way she plays both parts is as if a na n nah, n na, hah should be added at the end of all of her lines, in other words she plays them in a very childish manner who would stick out her tongue if possible. She plays it like she's saying "I'm me and I can do anything I want, so there!" I'm fully aware most everyone is sick of hearing this from me, so I promise, I'm done. I had said I couldn't put my finger on what bothered me, but I finally figured it out and wanted to make myself clear.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote: Ben is pulling in, bracing for what he knows is about to happen. He is readying himself to take action, but only under Brittles command.
He don't play at cards, neither!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

He don't play at cards, neither!

Fingerpointing for JackFavell :)

Re Tall in the Saddle, I really like that movie because for once the spunky hellion gets the hero, rather than good and sweet girl. :) Usually the spunky gal -- or gal with a past -- dies so the way is clear for the virginal miss.

I was impressed with Ella Raines' horseriding. At least I think I was. It sure looks like it's her riding that horse right up onto the boardwalk and blocking John Wayne's way.

Joanne Dru was on a Wagon Train episode today and I recorded it, but I haven't watched it yet.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Paula do watch that epi of "Wagon Train" and let me know what you thought...I found it one of the best I've seen, with Mark Stevens playing a pacifist ex-soldier. I was in tears at the end. Beautiful show.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ella Raines was a horsewoman who grew up in the country - I can't remember whether it was Montana, but I think so. All her life she was the outdoorsy type, who would rather do sports and go camping than sit and primp. She liked skiing and swimming, every possible sport she could do, but horses were a real love.

with Kenneth Trout
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Beautiful pics of Ben, BTW. Whew! Be still my heart at that finger point.