McLintock !

ken123

McLintock !

Post by ken123 »

This John Wayne - Maureen O ' Hara Western was on TCM this afternoon, Any comments ? The film is also VERY political. :roll:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Again, this movie showed me how much my thinking had changed over the years. I recall seeing The Quiet Man probably around 1958 when I was about 13, and again 4 or 5 years later at 18 or 19. Mc Clintock seemed like a sad attempt to recapture the fun of The Quiet Man, but not quite making it. I laughed uproariously the first and second time seeing TQM, at the loooong walk to her brothers field, but the Mc Clintock 'spanking' just made me wonder why she didn't haul off and slug him with one of the brooms in the general store. the uncalled for and foolish 'jealousy' of Yvonne DeCarlo on Maureens' part was totally out of place. It would have been better if the writers had made them friends to make his life a small he** on earth if they wanted to add comedy to the home front. After all, she left him, so she had no right to expect him to remain faithful to her through all those years.

I would have enjoyed MC more if I had never seen TQM and continually saw comparisons glaring at me.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
inglis

Post by inglis »

I have been very much enjoying all the John Wayne films this week. I get a big kick out of all his movies .I watched The Cowboys last night and I hate that he gets all shot up in that one ,I still have to change the channel and miss that part . I love the chemisrty between Wayne and O'Hara it's the best no matter what film they are in together. The Quiet man will always be my favorite,that along with The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. :D
inglis

Post by inglis »

inglis wrote:I have been very much enjoying all the John Wayne films this week. I get a big kick out of all his movies .I watched The Cowboys last night and I hate that he gets all shot up in that one ,I still have to change the channel and miss that part . I love the chemisrty between Wayne and O'Hara it's the best no matter what film they are in together. The Quiet man will always be my favorite,that along with The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. :D
Happy Birthday John Wayne,he would have been 100 years today
ken123

Post by ken123 »

The Wayne character, deeply admired by the sheriff ,(likely a politcal stooge of GW McLintock ) is actually a Land Baron and a crook to boot. :wink: