Once Upon a Time in the West (1969)

Mr. Arkadin

Once Upon a Time in the West (1969)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Comes on 5/29. Anne, this is nothing like My Name is Nobody. I think you would like it!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Started to watch some of this (I knew I had no time for it all) and was struck by how little seems to happen in the first 30 mins or so. Granted Fonda shows up and Bronson takes care of most of the "guest stars" but it's slow.

How much of this is really just style? Would it have had the same impact for the viewer if the whole thing were 30-40minutes shorter? I guess I'll take a day and watch it all.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

It's a very slow moving film, but it has a decent payoff. I think also this is one of Fonda's best roles because he is cast totally against type. The music (especially the ballad) is incredible. I left a sample of the music on Dewey's record party for the showing if you are interested.

As far as comparisons with his other work, this film is kind of a longer version of For a Few Dollars More (1967) and explores similar themes. I think the former is the better film (actually I think it's the best of everything he did), but Once has some unique moments and situations that are beautiful in their own way. Personally, I find flaws in all of Leone's epics, but there are also lots of little detours that make those films special the that the tighter more concise films don't have.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

There was a cut down version of Once Upon a Time in the West but the editing was so bad that it mangled the ending of the film terribly. (A similar situation happened to Leone on Once Upon a Time in America).

In West, the character of Cheyenne just up and disappeared with no regard to his character.

It wasn't until the 1980s (I think) that the original ending was restored and makes much sense than the truncated version ever did.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Erebus

Post by Erebus »

I realize the premise is selling this to Anne, but no mention of Cardinale? Don't know how she rates overall but I do like her here, as voluptuously stoic. Hard to go wrong with that.

Yes, it begins slowly, but (speaking as a redhead) you gotta love the rote justice bestowed upon that redheaded family who from the outset have no business under the Western sun. Of course Cardinale was too good for them. Plus we get Jack Elam and Woody Strode, hot and bored. And it stays slow, just as Leone always seems to distort time, and thereby space. The "ancient" [Star Trek reference] West must have been mostly boring.

I like the stark brutality and justice of this film. It is justice silhouehetted in the desert, until it's not.

(Yes, I mock myself, but not mock only.)
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Cardinale is beautiful here and you're absolutely right--the New Orleans whore who was looked down upon for her profession, becomes the mother of the community.

Jason Robards is also wonderful as well and it's beautifully shot and ediited.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I'm a bit torn on this one. It's a beautiful movie, perfectly acted and directed. For sheer entertainment I prefer the Dollar films and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, but I wouldn't call any of those as great as OUTW.

It's by far my favorite Henry Fonda role. Robards and Cardinale are excellent as well.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

This is also my favorite Henry Fonda role besides The Grapes of Wrath.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I find this to be an incredible film. The pace at which it unfolds will seem slow when compared to the action required to drive most American westerns, but the story is told as much through the scenery and expressions of the actors as it is with dialogue and action. The score by Morricone is moving and majestic. I believe the current "restored" version clocks in at 175 minutes, which is a long sit for any movie. Still, for me, this is a richly textured film that works on many more levels than most. If you haven't seen it before you may appreciate it more if you watch Leone's Dollar trilogy first. They will whet your appetite and build your patience for a different approach to an old western plot.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It finally made it's way into round three.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."