Randolph Scott - Tribute

movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Randolph Scott - Tribute

Post by movieman1957 »

I watched Scott's "The Bounty Hunter." It is an OK typical Scott western. This time he has Marie Windsor, another appearance by Ernest Borgnine, Dub Taylor and one or two familiar faces. Even a last minute spot by Fess Parker. (Can't mistake that voice.)

The more interesting segment of the movie plays like the Audie Murphy "No Name On The Bullet." Scott is hired by Pinkerton to find some train robbers that they can't find. When a clue leads him to a small town many in the town start worrying. But after a while the regular climax of the film takes over.

A couple of lame 3D looking effects are too obvious but otherwise ok.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Since I'm still snowed in I watched "Tall Man Riding." More typical film from our hero. These are all ok but if you watch enough of them you might start to lose track of which one is which. This is usual revenge/land dispute type but involves a little more complicated story line of people setting each other up.

Lots of shooting (and very little reloading) but has some nice action and a pretty exciting land rush scene. Dorothy Malone is along for the ride.

Pleasant enough way to kill a snowy afternoon.
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Movieman:

Your last line: " Pleasant enough way to spend a snowy afternoon", says it all about most of the Randolph Scott movies. I agree that watching too many at a single clip will make them all look alike, but the nice thing is you know you are not going to get angry at the characters, or want to yell at their stupidity, or turn it off from complete boredom. When Randy got out west with Mann his movies became strictly for entertainment, he wasn't out to teach any life lessons.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Cue the chorus, gang! It's dawn to dusk riding alongside Randy Scott on TCM tomorrow, Wed., April 11th. There are three films with Andre De Toth behind the camera, a Budd Boetticher classic, bad guys like Robert Ryan and David Brian, and saucy gals like Claire Trevor, Gene Tierney, Ruth Roman and Patrice Wymore partnered with Mr. Scott.

Two pips to look for: Colt .45 and Fort Worth, both directed by Edward Marin.
Both of these made me yell at Randy: "Look out behind you, man!" and to ask: "Why would you decide to stay in a town where Chubby Johnson was the sheriff??"

(All Times Shown are ET)

6:30 AM
Trail Street (1947)
Bat Masterson fights to make Kansas safe for wheat farmers.
Dir: Ray Enright Cast: Randolph Scott , Robert Ryan , Anne Jeffreys .
BW-84 mins, TV-G,

8:00 AM
The Stranger Wore a Gun (1953)
A gold robber tries to reform in the middle of a big heist.
Dir: Andre DeToth Cast: Randolph Scott , Claire Trevor , Joan Weldon .
C-82 mins, TV-PG, CC,

9:30 AM
Carson City (1952)
When the local stagecoach is raided by bandits, a western banker sinks all of his capital into a railway line.
Dir: Andre DeToth Cast: Randolph Scott , Lucille Norman , Raymond Massey .
C-87 mins, TV-PG, CC,

11:00 AM
The Man Behind The Gun (1953)
A cavalry officer sent to stop a rebellion helps found the city of Los Angeles.
Dir: Felix Feist Cast: Randolph Scott , Patrice Wymore , Dick Wesson .
C-83 mins, TV-PG, CC,

12:30 PM
Colt .45 (1950)
A gun salesman tracks down the outlaws who stole his sample case.
Dir: Edwin L. Marin Cast: Randolph Scott , Ruth Roman , Zachary Scott .
C-74 mins, TV-PG,

2:00 PM
Thunder Over the Plains (1953)
An Army captain risks his own freedom to prove a rebel leader innocent.
Dir: Andre DeToth Cast: Randolph Scott , Lex Barker , Phyllis Kirk .
C-83 mins, TV-PG, CC,

3:30 PM
Fort Worth (1951)
A retired gunfighter fears that he might have to take up his former trade when a gang of outlaws rides into town
Dir: Edwin L. Marin Cast: Randolph Scott , David Brian , Phyllis Thaxter .
C-80 mins, TV-PG,

5:00 PM
Belle Starr (1941)
A Southern belle turns outlaw when her family loses their land.
Dir: Irving Cummings Cast: Randolph Scott , Gene Tierney , Dana Andrews .
C-87 mins, TV-PG,

6:30 PM
Ride Lonesome (1959)
A bounty hunter tries to bring a murderer to justice through perilous territory.
Dir: Budd Boetticher Cast: Randolph Scott , Karen Steele , Pernell Roberts .
C-73 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

There is little argument that "Ride Lonesome" is the best of the lot but it is nice to see some of these lesser known movies get an airing.

Some I have seen before but three of them will be waiting for me when I get home. I've not seen "Carson City" or "Trail Street" or Fort Worth" so I'll have a reasonably good weekend.
Chris

Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

This is a pretty good listing of Randy Westerns. One thing I've noticed is the quality of co-star in each offering: from Robert Ryan and Dana Andrews to Pernell Roberts. Have to suffer out the final weeks of my day job 'fore I wander out fulltime on the literary range, but I'm gonna have a heapful of tapes to watch come this weekend. I find Randy to be one of the screen's more authentic cowboys.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

My DVR has been running non-stop since early this morning. I'm DVR'ing all the way to the final Randy Scott after Ride Lonesome (which I could watch 100 times and still not be bored. Great TV as far as I'm concerned all day.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'd forgotten how much I liked Fort Worth (1951) with Randolph Scott playing a Civil War vet returning to a bankrupt Fort Worth without his guns and a new attitude toward life as he sets up a newspaper. He tries to promote civil discussion of issues roiling through post-war Texas but finds himself rejected by one of the few women (Phyllis Thaxter) whose respect he needs. No one this side of Edward Arnold could portray the robber baron mentality better than David Brian does in this movie--the likable weasel! And what a bad apple that Ray Teal was!? Stick with this story, guys. There's a heckuva action scene on the rails coming up.

If only Chubby Johnson wasn't such a bowl of quivering jello as the lawman. :shock:
You know that Randy couldn't be serious about that "no guns" bit, didn't you? Note Chubby huddling in the doorway.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

If this has been noted before, please accept my apologies. But did anyone who watched "Belle Starr" today notice a famliarity in the background music . . . namely the famous tune from "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Western Guy wrote:If this has been noted before, please accept my apologies. But did anyone who watched "Belle Starr" today notice a famliarity in the background music . . . namely the famous tune from "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"?

I did! :D That was the "Ann Rutledge" theme Alfred Newman composed for Ford's Young Mr. Lincoln which he reused in TMWSLV. I guess Belle Starr also being a Fox film, the studio owned the music. I love that music, it's so moving.

Moira---I haven't seen Fort Worth (movie or town) in ages. I remember liking it and I think it was the first time I saw Phyllis Thaxter in a movie (I had only seen her in "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" until that time). I also like David Brian a lot. Flamingo Road!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Well, I got everything recorded or watched EXCEPT Fort Worth. Bad judgment in when to change the disc strikes again!

I loved the ending of Belle Starr last time it was on, with Dana and Randy talking about Belle and lots of undercurrents flowing between them. I made sure and recorded it this time so I could see the whole thing. Gosh, Gene Tierney and color film were meant for each other like...... Jeanne Crain and color film were meant for each other. Were there ever two women more gorgeous in Technicolor? I don't think so.

I watched most of Stranger Wore a Gun, and Claire Trevor ran rings around the rest of the cast, which is saying a lot considering the rest of the cast included Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine.

Honestly, I just like hearing Randy's voice in the background all day. I think I could have a very happy and calm old age if they put me in a home and piped in a soundtrack of Randolph Scott's voice talking soothingly 24/7.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I agree with you about Tierney and Crain and technicolor. Those girls were gorgeous and technicolor truly brought out the beauty that black & white hinted at. (And they were stunning in black & white). Think of "LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN." (I might add titian beauties Rita Hayworth and Rhonda Fleming to that technicolor palette).

As for having Scott's soft dulcet Virginny-accented voice piped into your old age home room...I give a Stanley Kowalski-sized: Haaaaaaaaaaa! :lol:

Hey wait up, that's actually not a bad idea... :shock:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! I'd have to alternate Randy and Ben- they are both tens on the soothing vocal scale...
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Miss Goddess, I love that background music. Westerns such as the ones we're mentioning, along with the haunting theme of "Shane", do so much to benefit the movie by adding to the period atmosphere. Another reason why I adore Westerns!

One thing I do find humorous about "Belle Starr" is the unquestionable, indeed luscious beauty of Miss Tierney. The real outlaw queen was about as attractive as a mule. If the filmmakers wanted to stick to the facts they probably would have done better to hire the female equivalent (if one existed) of Skelton Knaggs. Of course that would have completely destroyed the box office potential of the picture, so . . . accuracy be damned.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I watched "Trail Street." It also stars Gabbly Hayes and Robert Ryan. The funny thing about it is Hayes has more screen time, at least if feels that way, then anyone else. He's fun. Ryan is young and does well in secondary role. No hint of the darker side of Ryan that was to come.

It's about one man (Steven Brodie) trying to buy up a good amount of land in Kansas. Scott plays "Bat Masterson" who is brough to town to bring some law and order. Along the way he runs into Brodie and his gang who are causing some trouble.

The story doesn't always flow but there are some good action scenes, especially the climax. One man took a particularly awful looking fall so who knows if if he was hurt. But it's a good cast and I think a pretty good western. Nothing deep but entertaining.

One thing that did get my attention is that the main singer in the saloon had some of the worst looking outfits I've seen on a woman in that job.
Chris