Randolph Scott - Tribute

JackFavell

Re: Randolph Scott - Tribute

Post by JackFavell »

I like this one. As you said, nothing outstandingly good or bad, but it's a fun watch just the same.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It might be worth it just to get to see Jory be a good guy.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

You said it, Chris. Victor Jory! For my money, you could cross out the "might."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

As much as I love Scott, this was the first time I saw Fighting Man of the Plains. I agree it's a typical Scott movie but with a little more of a back story. I also agree about Jory and doubting his help, I kept expecting him to betray Scott. And although Dale Robertson had a very small part, I could see what other directors might have seen in him - photogenic, comfortable in his skin, and made the role his own.

One thing I noticed - often I see Oops in the movie itself, but I wonder if it ever happens in the credits (I never thought to look for them), and in the beginning credits, one line says " Color by Columbia color" . . . huh . . . ??@*& . The movie WAS in black and white wasn't it, or is my TV going nuts? Good one if you're a Scott fan, and if not, still a good one for a western fan.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I didn't notice anything about the "color" credit as it was B&W. I did think it was odd that the opening title cards had three different fonts. (I guess it was three.)
Chris

Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I really enjoyed FIGHTING MAN OF THE PLAINS as well. The story was interesting and it was cool to see Victor Jory as a good guy and Bill Williams as a pretty dastardly villain. My only complaint was that the film seemed to wrap up too abruptly. With all the buildup I expected a better climax, but it was more or less bang bang, all over.

And yes Anne, the credits did say Color by Cinecolor. Noticed that, too, and was a little disappointed that the print was black and white.
clore

Post by clore »

Maybe a color print will show up. For years TCM was airing only the monochrome print of THE CARIBOO TRAIL, another Scott western. Then, a few years ago they premiered a color print.

Scott and Jory are on again this Saturday (5/11) in CANADIAN PACIFIC.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Aww, dang! I missed it.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Clore:

So, are you saying that possibly two prints exist, one in color and the other in black and white, so all the credits referring to photography (whichever kind), have to be recognized? That sounds reasonable enough.
Anne

clore

Post by clore »

In some cases, it's a matter of reissue prints or early TV prints being issued in black-and-white. Sometimes both - I can recall a friend and I anxiously awaiting a 1967 airing of the 1943 PHANTOM OF THE OPERA on TV and while the credits had the reference to Technicolor, the print was black-and-white, the TV station verified this. In those days, some syndicators would actually charge extra for color prints to be made available.

On the other hand, the Errol Flynn ROBIN HOOD was theatrically reissued in black-and-white and the on-screen reference to Technicolor was removed. These were the prints that were used when it was first sold to TV.

Sometimes, the studio archivists don't even know what they have. When I worked for Columbia/Screen Gems in the 1980s, I was putting together film packages for syndication to local stations. I had a big computer printout of everything in the Columbia library and I noticed that the Randolph Scott film THE DESPERADOES was listed as being in black-and-white. I called the head man in the library and asked about a color print. He insisted that it was made in black-and-white. I told him that the film is actually a Columbia milestone as it was Columbia's first Technicolor feature.

This went back-and-forth until he proposed a wager on the matter. I said sure as I already had documentation that I was correct. He lost the bet.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I watched a little of "Canadian Pacific" while it was recording and I had in mind the conversation about the color or b/w of the other film. This was in color but for my money as bad as the color was they just as well should have showed it in black and white. Mostly the early part looked fairly washed out.

Otherwise I'll get to watching the rest of it soon.
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Chris:

Take the time to watch it, it's really good and action packed after a short time.
Anne

Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

CANADIAN PACIFIC is a very fine film though I agree about the poor color quality. Apparently Cinecolor was one of the cheapest processes used at the time, a favorite for outdoor film productions but rarely consistent.
clore

Post by clore »

According to calvinnme's post on the TCM Message Boards, August 19 will be Randolph Scott day:

Monday AUgust 19 - RANDOLPH SCOTT
6:00AM Badman's Territory (1946)
7:45AM Trail Street (1947)
9:15AM Return of the Badmen (1948)
11:00AM Riding Shotgun (1954)
12:30PM Bounty Hunter (1954)
2:00PM Tall Man Riding (1955)
3:30PM Shoot-out at Medicine Bend (1957)
5:00PM Ride Lonesome (1959)
6:30PM Comanche Station (1960)
8:00PM Tall T (1957)
9:30PM Ride The High Country (1962)
11:30PM My Favorite Wife (1940)
1:15AM China Sky (1945)
2:45AM Bombardier (1943)
4:30AM Cariboo Trail (1950)

I haven't seen either THE BOUNTY HUNTER or SHOOT-OUT AT MEDICINE BEND since I was a kid, so those will be added to my DVD collection.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I used to work with a guy named Randy Scott. I'd call him Randolph, Scotty, Scott tissue. One day, it hit me. RANDOLPH SCOTT! He said, "What took you so long? I've been expecting this for months!"