Randolph Scott - Tribute

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi Chris:

Sundown is the one Randy movie I don't care for, I guess because he plays such a dope in it. By that I mean the main focus of the movie of Randy, his wife, and the 'other' man. Don't want to disclose any more for those who may not have seen it.

Metsfan:

I'm spoiled, I think Randy has it all over Coop. His shoulder are wider, he looks better in jeans, and facially he's much better looking, but again that's my opinion - I'm the one who thinks Robert Mitchum is dreamy.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

mrsl,
My grandma picks on me about loving Coop so much and she always tells me that Robert Mitchum is the one she likes the best so you're not alone in thinking he's dreamy. :lol:

Randolph Scott was a big, attractive man but I'll stick with lean, lanky Coop :wink: .
“I never really thought of myself as an actor. But I’d learned to ride on my dad’s ranch and I could do some roping stunts and working as an extra was better than starving as an artist nobody wanted on the West Coast.” - Gary Cooper
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

I have a movie book that gives a higher rating to "Decision" than the other films in the set. I like "Buchanan" and "Tall T" better. I think they have better villians and a better story.

I've never seen "Westbound"which is not included in this set but would fit the category.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

That's funny.

Movieman1957:

After I wrote that, I looked 'Decision' up on IMDB and most of the comments said the same thing I did, that it was the worst of all the Scott/Mann teamings.

Coopsgirl:

I fully expected a response from you, and there is another Coop fan out there who might join in soon, but "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", isn't it?

Anne
Anne

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

mrsl wrote:That's funny.
Coopsgirl:

I fully expected a response from you, and there is another Coop fan out there who might join in soon, but "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", isn't it?

Anne
:P :P :P :P :P

I've been too lazy to check but is the BEST of the bunch included in this new box set, namely, 7 MEN FROM NOW?
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Nope.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:Nope.
Really!!? Why on earth not? Was it a different studio/distributor?
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

April:

I can't verify it at the moment but I think "7 Men" is a WB picture. All the rest are Columbia.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Mr. McElwee does a two parter on the Scott westerns at Greenbriar.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Sunday Dec 7 6:45pm on Encore Westerns is "Westbound" with Mr. Scott. It is the missing Boetticher/Scott film of the bunch.
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I've been thoroughly enjoying today's tribute to Randy. They have played all new movies that I have never seen before. I didn't realize I had missed so much. One thing I like is that in most of these today, he actually gets the girl. He's not looking for someone who killed his wife (except in one, but he still gets the girl), or his best friend or anything like that. These are all based on different types of stories.

One thing I caught was this. At the end of one of these movies today, I can't remember which, he and the girl have gotten married and they're off for their honeymoon. She is wearing a grey suit with red piping around the collar and cuffs. I went straight to my computer and looked up Oklahoma. If you have a copy of the album or CD with Lauri and Curly at the end driving away while everyone is singing Oklahoma, she is wearing the same suit. With a screwed up memory like I have these days, I was so proud of me for catching that!

These are the ones showing:

Ten Wanted Men
Westbound
Rage at Dawn
Riding Shotgun - very similar to Decision at Sundown
Carson City
Thunder Over the Plains
Fort Worth
Colt .45
The Nevadan
Badman's Territory

A lot of them will be repeated tonight and all will be throughout February I assume.

I would love to hear some opinions on various films.

Anne
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The only one I have seen recently is "Westbound." I thought if fell well short of the other Boetticher/Scott films. I never cared much for Andrew Duggan in anything so that didn't help.

Some of us talked about it somewhere and we thought the ladies were a little too done up for 1868 Kansas. They sure were pretty.

I have "Carson City" waiting to be seen but I haven't got to the others yet.
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

What's that old adage - 'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing' - is that right? I think it is.

What I'm saying is, having been on this and that previous board for several years now, I notice a lot more now than before when seeing a movie for the first time.

All of the Randolph Scott movies that I watched on Friday, were new to me except for two. I wish I had paid more attention to directors, and other people, especially those who wrote the background music. In a couple of them, the music was completely off-base. Light, tingly music would play as people were being shot, or as the stage coach ran over a cliff, then heavy or emotional sounds during scenic shots. A few years ago, I never would have noticed that. Maybe if I keep at it, in 10 years or so, I can be almost as good as my idols. :oops: :oops:

Anne
Anne

klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:
Metsfan:

I'm spoiled, I think Randy has it all over Coop. His shoulder are wider, he looks better in jeans, and facially he's much better looking, but again that's my opinion - I'm the one who thinks Robert Mitchum is dreamy.

Anne
Hey Anne & Metsfan!
Interesting bit of trivia about Randolph Scott (and I apologize if this is commonly known already): according to his min-bio over on IMDb, Randy's first paying job in the movies was when he was hired to coach the title-role actor in The Virginian as to a proper Virginian speech inflection -
that actor being Gary Cooper!
mrsl

Re: Randolph Scott - Tribute

Post by mrsl »

Pleasant find this morning when I woke up to see Randy on screen in Shootout at Medicine Bend. One of those great hour and a half movies that tells everything you want to know, and wraps it all up so you're satisfied you have a complete story. But even more of a surprise was that James Craig was the bad guy - I really do think he's attractive. Then along comes Jim Garner as Randy's buddy. This had to be one of his first jobs - what a doll :!: The nice thing was both Randy and Jim got the girls they wanted, Angie Dickinson for Randy and a cute blond named Dani Crayne whom I've never seen before or since.

The guys play religious 'brothers' to get into a town to retrieve money and jewels that have been stolen from the wagon train they're with. In this one, the two girls are the ones who help them get their stuff, and get away from James Craig. It's action, love interest, a little comedy and everything else you get in a Randolph Scott movie. It's from 1957 and on Encore who happens to be having another Randolph Scott tribute this month.

Anne