Laramie continues to impress me

stuart.uk

Laramie continues to impress me

Post by stuart.uk »

I get the impression that the tv western Laramie, historically isn't as highly thought of as other great shows like Wagon Train, Bonanza and The High Chapperal. However, I've been watching more episodes, particulary seasons 1 and 2 and continue to be impressed by the quality of the series.

It stars John Smith as Slim Sherman, who runs the Sherman Ranch, which also operates as a way station with his much younger brother Andy and aging handyman Jonesy, as played by Hoagy Charmichael. Also starring in the show is the highly underated actor Robert Fuller as reformed gunfighter Jess Harper, who becomes an employee then partner on the Sherman ranch. How Fuller never became a major star is beyond me, he's terrific this series, even more so IMO than when he did Wagon Train. He also played the Steve Mqueen role of Vin in The Return Of The Seven, but the film wasn't a success. Smith's one film of note was Circus World with John Wayne, but apparently he fell foul of director Henry Hathaway and he found it difficult to find other work.

In series 3 and 4 of Laramie it was decided to give the show a feminine touch. Elderly character actress Spring Byington was brought in to play Daisy Cooper, a housekeeper who looks after the boys adopted son Mike.
tinker

Re: Laramie continues to impress me

Post by tinker »

I know a group of people on yahoo group who would strongly argue that Laramie is the best western TV series ever made. They give it cult status.

I know its one of my favourites, terrific guest stars and very strong and unusual stories and the two lead actors were great. Dan Duryea, Charles Bronson, Rod Cameron and Ben Johnston were all in the first season. Robert Fuller is in his eighties now but still very active and does a lot of western conventions. He loves talking with people about Laramie and thinks Jess Harper was the best role he ever had.There is an interview with him on Youtube somewhere where he says that he was brought in to audition for the role of Slim, because John Smith was cast as Jess. When he read the script he fell in love with role of Jess and said he would only do the show if he could do Jess, which they then offered him. John Smith was initially unhappy about the change but he and Robert Fuller soon became good friends luckily. Its hard to visualis ethem in each others roles now.

[youtube][/youtube]

The video is of Robert Fuller showing how to do stunt fighting a couple of years ago.

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Love that video of Robert Fuller demonstrating film fights.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

You can count me in as a fan of this western ... Laramie is an excellent western and I do enjoy watching it :) Matter of fact, it was my older brothers got me watching it in reruns back in the early 70's when it's had its first syndication and I was hooked ever since. John Smith as Slim Sherman and Robert Fuller as Jess Harper was a nice combination to have and when they added Spring Byington to the mix - the show just gotten better. Dennis Holmes was great addition as well and this series was very well rounded, good script, and good wholesome western ... Stuart.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Robert Fuller must have been in every western on TV!
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I discovered recently that Robert Fuller was 2nd choice to play Joe Cartwright in Bonanza behind Michael Landon. Personally though Fuller wasn't much older tha Landon, I think he'd be to mature to play the young little Joe. Though to be fair to Michael Landon I thought in the latter Bonanza's Joe turned into a mature young man, as he entered into early middle age.

I even thought comparing Fuller to Steve Mqueen, as both played Vin in the 7 movies, that Fuller might even be the better actor of the two, despite the fact Mqueen achieved superstardom and the Laramie star didn't. I would think not many would share that view.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I think he'd be to mature to play the young little Joe

I think you're right. Regardless of his real age, the dark, solemn Fuller would be hard to insert into the standard Little Joe shenanigan!

"Joe! My mean, hot-tempered fiance is coming. You must leave at once!"
"OK."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

HELLO MAY, I'M SO GLAD YOU'RE HERE!
I am so glad to see the end of the last month and a new month starting up. I swear some of the movies on Encore Western have been on 25 times each if not more like The Alamo, Sgt. Rutledge, Sabata (and sequels), and a couple more. I just wish they would fill that time with more Gene Autry movies. I can watch them over and over again. Yesterday I re-watched The Bells of Capistrano even though I have it on DVR. I'm getting worried because I have so many Randolph Scott, and Gene Autry movies on my U-Verse DVR, I'm afraid they will be erased for being on too long. I can always save them as "Hold until I erase", but that doesn't always work. I've lost a couple of movies that way. i'm still waiting for someone to show me how to copy to discs. Two or three people have said they know how and will show me, but we haven't gotten together yet. Anyway, here's hoping we get a few new movies with the new month.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************