MONTE WALSH

mrsl

MONTE WALSH

Post by mrsl »

I had thought I had seen the original Monte Walsh with Lee Marvin, but after seeing the make-over with Tom Selleck, I realize I have it confused with something else. Since I never saw the original, I guess I can understand why the kids today like these awful re-makes that are turning up for everything from cartoons to epic movies. If you haven't seen the original, the new one seems great. That does not mean that I found the Selleck Monte Walsh great, but I did thoroughly enjoy it, and would recommend it to any Western movie fan. Some day I will try to see Marvins' version to compare, but from reading some of the message board comments and questions on imdB, it seems like the make-over was pretty similar to the other.

I wasn't crazy about Isabella Rossallini, not that she was bad, just didn't seem comfortable in the role. I did like the way that true friendship was depicted. The scene where Monte is going to the ghost town because there is just one ghost he's interested in was touching. I also love the painted door in the beginning. From the [i]happy-go-lucky. there's always tomorrow,[/i] Magnum P.I., Selleck has risen to become quite a force on screen. Few people had that forceful aura. John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, Burt Lancaster to name a few, didn't have to open their mouths to speak - - the minute they came onscreen your eyes immediately were drawn to them. I think that is why so many people have trouble recalling character actors, especially when they work with guys like those I listed. Except for a few like Walter Brennan, you couldn't miss him, and Thelma Ritter, unless they were teamed with really name stars, they kind of faded into the background.

In any case. I still would recommend the Tom Selleck version of Monte Walsh if Lee Marvin is not available. Hopefully I will get to see Marvin one of these days.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: MONTE WALSH

Post by movieman1957 »

I have seen the original and I didn't quite care for it. I saw Selleck's version first so that may have clouded it. I did find Selleck's more melancholy which I think fits well the character's loss of his work.

Selleck, like you say, is one who can do a lot with just a look. Watching an episode of "Blue Bloods" the other evening there was a scene where a deputy to the mayor tries to talk him into doing a magazine spread. It's not for him and tells her. Her comment back was not very nice. Selleck's reaction was just facial but you could see he had been insulted. He then plainly and firmly announced the interview was over.

I think this is part of his strength in the Jesse Stone movies and adds a lot to his westerns. It helps he is built like the perfect cowboy but it takes more. He has it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like the old MONTE WALSH a lot. It's one of the most realistic westerns I've seen. Sensitive and touching in its rough-cut way.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I totally agree with your assessment, R.R. I find the original version of Monte Walsh one of the most affecting of Westerns. Nice atypical role for perennial baddie Palance and Lee Marvin's performance as the grizzled old cowpoke trying to come to grips with the inroads of modern society a brilliant performance. In a way, kind of a precursor to The Shootist. But it is a very sad, melancholy movie. Old cowboys being put out to pasture, having outlived their era.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

RedRiver and Western Guy:

Thanks for your responses, but . . . have you seen the Tom Selleck version? I'm not arguing with you because I have not seen the Marvin one, but I did admit that and stated that I couldn't make a comparison because I had not seen it. I am agreeing with movieman to the fact that Selleck gave a very world weary performance, and you really saw and felt the end of an era looming.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

No Anne, haven't seen the Selleck version so certainly cannot make an honest comparison. But with Marvin and Palance playing the saddle-weary pardners, would find it hard to do much better. Yet Selleck has certainly given some fine Western portrayals (especially in Louis L'Amour film adaptations) and so I must check out his version of Monte Walsh.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

kind of a precursor to The Shootist

It is that.

Old cowboys being put out to pasture, having outlived their era.

The scene where Monte "breaks" the wild horse is unforgettable. It's his last hurrah and he knows it.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Another vote for the original here.