Best Little Whore House in Texas

mrsl

Best Little Whore House in Texas

Post by mrsl »

I've written about this before several years ago, but for the first time in at least 2-3 years, I sat and viewed the whole movie last weekend. I had forgotten how uplifting and fun this movie is. Even though the guys may not like musicals, how can they help not enjoying the girls sitting around and dancing in barely their underwear? One sad thing is way, way back I had a video copy and on it, immediately after the spot where Burt tells Dolly she has to close down permanently because she went ahead with the football party, there was a scene where Burt had a solo song which was really nice about doing things you don't want to do, but have to. Well that tape broke so I bought another one about a year later and found the solo missing, as it is when the movie is shown on TV. But I digress. This was made before Dolly went on her diet and lost a ton of weight so her curves are more pronounced than ever. Seeing Burts' face as he watches Dom DeLouise get dressed singing about reality, as he stuffs everything imaginable into his costume is enough to make the whole movie worth watching. Also, you may like (senior moment), that other girls version, but until you see and hear Dolly singing her own words to her own song, you've never heard I Will Always Love You as only Dolly can do it.

One of the great moments is the song and dance scene of the Aggies and the chicken ranch girls dancing at the party in a wild and rollicking free for all unequaled except with the logger brothers and town girls in 7 Brides for 7 Brothers. I love Burt Reynolds in his many comedy movies with Dom and you can almost see him reining himself in on this since most of his role is serious. He really shines with Dolly in the very beginning when they take off for their afternoon hideaway - he's funny, sly, cute and rascally.

I just enjoyed watching so much that I had to pop off to someone, and since my group rarely meets anymore, I guess you folks are stuck with me. So if you see it on a weird afternoon, record it and watch it with the hubby some Friday or Saturday night. I think you'll be glad you did.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Re: Best Little Whore House in Texas

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I just saw this film about a month ago and I enjoy it very much to an extent and I do love the costumes, the comedy, the dances, and the whole shebang and it's was a very delightful movie to see. I have seen this movie about 3-4 times in my life and I also find the chemistry of Burt Reynolds and Dolly Parton quite good.

It's a perfect movie anytime you want your hearts lifted for a rousing good time.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I didn't know "I Will Always Love You" was in the movie. I would be very surprised if it's from the play.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Red,

It's not in the play thought the two main characters love each other.

In the play, the song is "She's a Good Ole Girl":

She ain't too much on painted up fancy
She lives her life in boots and jeans
But she still likes back road romancin'
And she ain't gotta look no further than me

Chorus
Yeah she got the heart of her mama
The soul of an angel
Hard work to her it ain't no stranger
She's a beautiful reminder of a different world
Aw, she's a good ol' girl

Verse
She'll take a camp fire over candles
Yeah, she drinks beer so you can keep champagne
She knows all them songs by ol' Rockin Randal
She'll get the windows down lord, you oughta hear her sing

Chorus
Yeah she got the heart of her mama
The soul of an angel
To her living country ain't no stranger
She's a good ol girl

Verse
She's a lover, she's a lady
She's forever, she's a friend
She's a modern day real woman
Who belives in love like it was back then
And she's the savior of a wild and restless rambler
So I no longer walk alone
Yeah I was a wild card, she took a gamble
Now it's her sweet love, keep me coming home

Chorus
Yeah she's got the heart of her mama
The soul of angel
To her keeping promises ain't no stranger
She's a good ol girl
She's a good ol girl
Aw, she's a good ol girl

It's a really good song but I can see why they changed it.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese