Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

1. RED RIVER
2. RIO BRAVO
3. THE SHOOTIST
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Mongo, I do think the Duke had some of his funniest moments in North to Alaska.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
knitwit45

Re: Favorite John Wayne Western - NOT Directed by John Ford

Post by knitwit45 »

I watched Rio Bravo last night (late)...and I have a question that has bothered me for the many times I've viewed this movie. Does anyone else get the feeling that Angie Dickinson's scenes "with" John Wayne were a bit odd? Almost every time she is in her room at the hotel, having a discussion with him, you never see the two of them together. She says something, he responds offscreen, then he says something, and she responds...offscreen. I've always had the impression they had to film her scenes at a later or earlier date, and insert them into the film. Was JW making some other film at the same time?
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I think I know what you mean, Nancy. I'm not sure of course, but I believe one explanation behind Hawks' choice of handling the scene is because of Angie's inexperience in such a big production. She may have been nervous and maybe her performance needed more attention and time. Hawks could shoot Wayne's reaction shots and then focus on hers if they were separate filmed this way. It could also have been a way to focus on her exclusively with each line she spoke, giving her a bit of a star build-up. Hawks always had his own idea of how the "rhythm" of a dialogue scene should go and maybe he liked the somewhat disjointed effect.

Whatever the reason, one thing it does accomplish, it serves to point up the awkwardness between the two characters and how "Feathers" completely discombobulates Chance. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

As much as I love the movie, it always shouts THIS IS A MOVIE when I see those scenes. The rest of the movie, I simply sink into it, and go along for the ride.
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Maricatrin

Post by Maricatrin »

A hard question, but I'd have to go with Rio Bravo as well. Any movie that's such a part of your upbringing that you can vaguely recall reenacting it as a child, with the assistance of your brothers and a very large teddy bear*, has to maintain a strong hold of your mind and affections.

(*None of us wanted to play Dude, so poor teddy got stuck with a challenging dramatic role.)
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaricatrinsMusicVideos
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

RED RIVER (the movie, not the SSO poster).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

ChiO wrote:RED RIVER (the movie, not the SSO poster).
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I have to go with El Dorado, partly because of Mitchum, but largely because of the wisecracks and quick dialog between the four main stars - Wayne, Mitchum, Caan, and Hunnicutt. There were so many sharp as a tack remarks, that in many cases if you laughed too long at one, you might miss the next. Another reason I like to watch some movies several times.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

THE SHOOTIST, all the way! A perfect swan song for the Duke, and great vignettes featuring superb character actors and sometimes-Wayne co-stars along the way (Harry Morgan and Richard Boone in particular are a hoot). Not only my favorite Western but probably my favorirte movie, period.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

No arguing with "The Shootist" or any other selection for that matter but two of mine (and any mentioned work as well) are "The Sons of Katie Elder" and "Tall In The Saddle." Both being solid westerns there is a factor of fun about them that adds to their being enjoyable for me.

One things has bothered me about "The Shootist" and I can't put my finger on it but it has something to do with the way it looks. There is almost more of a look of TV than film to it. It's weird and it certainly doesn't detract from the story or Wayne and Bacall. It's not that so many of the rest of the cast were more TV people by then than anything but just the "look" of it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I totally understand that "look" thing, I can see what you are talking about. It doesn't bother me, but I can see how it might.

Angel and the Badman
is probably my favorite of his non-Ford westerns. It has a good supporting cast led by the great Harry Carey, and it really builds up, the suspense, the love story. And it has Gail Russell at her best. It's super. Always did like a good bad man.

Tall in the Saddle and Red River and The Shootist, wow, all great movies, they would be my runners up.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

RED RIVER (the movie, not the SSO poster).

Excuse me? It goes without saying, this is my favorite in the non-Ford category. I also like the other great Hawks western, RIO BRAVO. It's too long and too cute (Thank God Wayne wasn't a singer!). But boy, is it fun! I'm glad some have mentioned the exciting HONDO, a galloping adventure by a filmmaker whose work I should know better: John Farrow.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

The Shootist
Red River
Angel and the Badmen
Rio Bravo
Tall in the Saddle

in that order ... 1 to 5.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

You know, Chris, you're totally right: THE SHOOTIST does have a kind of TV-movie look to it -- though it doesn't detract from my utter enjoyment upon repeated viewings. But that's a very good and sound observation.