Welcome, Lisa Ryan

Past chats with our guests.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lisa:

Please be sure to to take a minute and register again on your own so you can come back sometime and let us in on those "(Hepburn weirdness, backstage hijinx, crazy actors)", that you mentioned.

Also, I too want to thank you for a truly enlightening and fun week. You have a knack for putting across a fact in a fun way so it becomes a point of interest rather than a study in boredom, and be sure that if you post, the word will be spread so all can see it.

Hoping to hear from you again soon,

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mookryan

Post by mookryan »

Like I said ... you guys are going to have a hard time getting rid of me!
I feel like I have to sneak back into this now-expired thread - and share an email that I just received from the British actor Terrence Knapp, who is mentioned in the letter my dad sent from Nottingham.

Re-reading the letter I started wondering what Terry Knapp (who I remember fondly) was up to after all these years ... so I tracked him down online late last night and sent him an email ...
"Hi! You probably don't remember me, but ..."

Just received this:

Lisa dear,
I am so happy to have your eletter.
Your beloved Dad is never very far away from my memory and I think of him and of his Family (you may remember that I stayed at the Dakota Building for a week or so in the early 70's) with joy and gratitude.

His performances in both OTHELLO and LONG DAY'S JOURNEY were terrific and galvanising and, in my estimation, equalling those of Olivier which I also cherish. Our ten days together motoring around England was such a pleasure and Robert's sharing of his early life of adventuring remains a joy to me.

How wonderful that his letter such as you describe has survived the 40 years! Could I possibly have a copy of it? That would please me so much.

You might care to look me up on Wikipedia and please log onto the HAWAII SHAKESPEARE FESTIVAL site for the fun of it.
Again, I am thrilled to receive your message and I thank you most sincerely.
I trust that all is well with and for you and those around you.I am now in my 77th year and I enjoy my active retirement enormously. I look forward to hearing from you again,
aloha nui loa, Terry

ps I do have a
great time catching up with your Dad's films on TCM. and always marvel that such a kindhearted and generous man could be such a devastating villain...BILLY BUDD for starters.

Dr.Terence Knapp:Arts and Letters Laureate;
Emeritus Professor of Theatre,UHM;
Churchill Fellow; Peabody Award for DAMIEN;
Hawaii's Adopted World Class Actor;
Regents' Medal of Excellence and Clopton Award;
Royal Academy of Dramatic Art Associate
Inaugural Player, Royal National Theatre, 1963-65
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Oh Lisa, I do hope you will stick around because I can talk and read about your Dad and everything all the time. Please do come back often and THANK YOU for generously sharing that letter from your Dad. It was funny, touching and sweet and I think HE is the real "dream boat". :D

Best regards,

MissG (April)

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Hi, Lisa.
It was a pleasure meeting you and it was wonderful to read your comments and reminiscences. I hope you do stay with us -- we all have so much more to talk about.
Thanks so much.
Judith
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

What a wonderful thread and what a wonderful site this is. Thanks to all who run this. I've been missing lately, and am now trying to catch up. One of the joys of film work is that it becomes an archive of its time. In a similar fashion, I appreciate that this thread with Lisa Ryan will be to refer back to for some time. She was swell. So is the Oasis.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Marco,
I'm so glad that you've found your way back here! Wish that you'd had a chance to ask Lisa Ryan a question or two. She was a delightful and warm guest, and I hope that if her schedule permits, she'll drop by again.

Btw, that also applies to you Mr. Burley!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Marco:

Have you been ill? Or have you been on vacation, or just not on line for a while? If you were ill, I certainly hope you are better. I asked about you last week. Funny how you don't miss something until you realize it's gone.
I've made a couple of nasty and dumb mistakes in relaying what I thought were facts and I can usually count on you to correct me. THAT I don't mind, it's when someone corrects my spelling I mind - plus you always do it with such suave and humorous finesse. :lol:

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mookryan

Post by mookryan »

I thought this thing "expired" a couple of weeks ago, but I'm still seeing some posts here. I think I still have some responses to a few questions I didn't get around to ... or perhaps I should jump into some other forum ... any suggestions?
"Is this the 1940s?
Is everything in black and white?
Are you Robert Ryan?"
- James Lileks
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Hi Lisa, feel free to jump into any of the threads and post your mind! That's what we're about here(Or you can just drop by Dewey's Record Party and be a DJ for a day). 8)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Dear Lisa,
Please feel free to post on this thread or anywhere else anytime. If you'd like to start another thread you are also welcome to do so as well.
Thanks,
Moira
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I just finishing watching AND HOPE TO DIE (Rene Clement, 1972). What a poignant movie, in theme and circumstance, disguised as a heist film. Your father's Charley Ellis captured the essence of so many of the characters that he had previously portrayed, especially Ty Ty Walden (GOD'S LITTLE ACRE) and Aldo Ray's presence only accentuated that connection.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Hi Lisa

I thought your dad was a great actor. In one of his early films, he impressed in what appeared to be a well acted B movie with Randolph Scott, called Trail Street. Though Randy was the star of the western, your dad in the film played just as much a hero.

The Proud Ones with Jeffrey Hunter was an underrated western and he was excellent in God's Little Acre

I was just thinking that one film he made that doesn't get the credit it deserves is Ice Palace, where he and Richard Burton, start of as friends, fall out over Carolyn Jones, but are reunited at the end of the film.

One film I've never seen is Tender Comrade, but I'm interested in it because of the different political views of both cast and crew. It's said in certain quarters the film had Communist leanings, because Ginger Rogers shared her apartment with several other girls. You're dad was a liberal and director Edward Dmytryk was branded a communist, whereas Ginger might have been politically on the other side of the fence. Her Mother Lola was as far as I believe prepared to name names at the Witch Hunt Meetings and I might be wrong, but heard Ginger was supportive of her mother.