Scott Allen Nollen on Three Bad Men:John Ford, John Wayne, & Ward Bond

Past chats with our guests.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Re: The Q & A for Scott Allen Nollen on Sat. 2/8 & Sun. 2/9

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Scott, I've just heard from Denny Miller, "Duke Shannon" on Wagon Train, and he related that he enjoyed working with Ward Bond:

"I only worked with Ward on several Wagon Train episodes but he was very responsible for me keeping my job. I heard they were going to let me go and he told them to give me a chance and they did. He liked to talk Basketball with me. We got along very well."

I hope you don't mind me sharing this at the end of your visit, but I'd just received his message, and wanted it to be included in the thread that has such a wealth of information about Ward Bond.

Thank you again for sharing so much of your time with us here. And please check in often! :D
Christy
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Scott_Nollen

Post by Scott_Nollen »

That's terrific! I've always enjoyed Denny Miller's work. And he was quite the specimen in his prime--just a couple days ago I saw a few minutes of the GILLIGAN'S ISLAND episode in which he wears nothing but a pair of tiny cut-off shorts. He's much more costumed in his WAGON TRAIN episodes! If you communicate with him again, give him my best!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I certainly will! I'll do it right now...
He has a Facebook page entitled Denny Miller in case you want to contact him.
Thank you!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Scott_Nollen

Post by Scott_Nollen »

Thanks once again to all at the SSO for a most enjoyable and often challenging weekend. I'm looking forward to doing this again!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

This thread is now closed, though we all hope that Scott returns whenever and wherever he likes on the message board. We'll be looking for the new Glenda Farrell book in the future, but in the meantime, follow Scott on his Twitter feed or on his Facebook page, and check out our guest's other books, won't you? They are a considerable body of work:

Scott Allen Nollen on Twitter: @snollen63

The Scott Nollen Facebook Page

Scott Allen Nollen Books at McFarland

Scott Allen Books on Amazon
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks for those links, Moira. It was such a fun visit.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Our recent guest author, Scott Nollen, has kindly forwarded some images of Grace Cunard and Francis Ford to us. According to Scott's account, these include "a portrait of Francis (his 'official' Universal image; it's in my book); a candid of Grace from one of their films directed by Francis; and four "Wentz Art Stamps" which were made only for a short time around 1913-1915, primary for the Universal Film Manufacturing Company (JOHN Ford plays one of the characters on one of the stamps!). These are from the serial THE BROKEN COIN (1915).

The captions were provided by Scott Nollen, who pointed out that the 1913 image of Francis Ford is in his book, Three Bad Men: John Ford, John Wayne and Ward Bond:

Above: Francis Ford (1913) Universal Film Manufacturing Company.

Above: Grace Cunard (c.1914) Universal Film Manufacturing Company film directed by Francis Ford

Above: THE BROKEN COIN-Episode 2 (1915) Wentz Art Stamp Grace Cunard, John Ford directed by Francis Ford written by Grace Cunard

Above: THE BROKEN COIN-Episode 4 (1915) Wentz Art Stamp John Ford, Grace Cunard directed by Francis Ford written by Grace Cunard

Above: Image from THE BROKEN COIN-Episode 10 (1915) Wentz Art Stamp 'Grace Cunard appearing as Kitty Grey' directed by Francis Ford written by Grace Cunard

Above: Image from "THE BROKEN COIN-Episode 10 (1915) Wentz Art Stamp ' Francis Ford Appearing as Count Frederick' directed by Francis Ford written by Grace Cunard.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thank you, THANK YOU! Can you please tell Scott how MUCH I appreciate his forwarding these images? Wonderful.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

That's goes double for me ... Moira! :)
Scott_Nollen

Post by Scott_Nollen »

You're welcome. I'll try to send some more images soon. All the best--Scott