WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Jezebel38

Re: WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by Jezebel38 »

Western Guy wrote:
Just incredible to watch Chaney do all those foot manipulations, such as smoking a cigarette with his toes.

I love THE UNKNOWN and watched it almost obsessively when I first discovered it. Although I believe Chaney did a few "foot manipulations" in a couple scenes, there was a body double by the name of Peter Dismuke/Paul Desmuke for this film:

Paul "Judge" Desmuke - Born in 1876, Desmuke was a sideshow performer, justice of the peace and occasional actor who was remarkable for the fact that he had no arms. Desmuke gained his nickname Judge because he became a justice of the peace in Jourdanton, Texas. He later learned to throw knives and worked with the A. G. Barnes Circus and Sideshow and with Zack Miller's Wild West Show. He worked as a double for Lon Chaney in the 1927 silent film The Unknown, in which Chaney played an armless knife thrower. Desmuke married a woman named Mae Dixon in 1926 and she worked with him as his target girl in an impalement act which featured in the Ripley's Odditorium at the "Century of Progress" International Exposition in Chicago in 1933. He is sometimes credited as Peter Dismuki.[29][36][37] Desmuke died in 1949.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Thanks for the info, Jezebel38. Must confess I did wonder about that. Chaney was a perfectionist (obviously) and did show his ability as a contortionist in "The Miracle Man" so it would not have surprised me to discover he did his own manipulations, but considering the time and effort it would have taken to master those unique moves . . .yes, definitely makes more sense that a body double would have been used.

"The Unknown" is on again tonight. Bravo TCM!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Great piece of information Jez. I also noticed the extreme skill with which Chaney used his feet and I thought "what a perfectionist" -just like Stone. Since I also saw him in "The Blackbird" doing some incredible body work, I did not think of a body double, but it definitely makes sense...
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Me too, I thought he was such a perfectionist and wouldn't have accepted a body double but it does make sense. Lon Chaney is an amazing artist although I have found that his films vary greatly in the story quality, the best of them stand up with the best films ever made, the poorest are still good because of Chaney's presence. Enjoy the rest of the Chaney movies Fernando.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Enjoy the rest of the Chaney movies Fernando.
Thanks friend :D
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Recently I saw a new restored print of The Silent Enemy (1930, H.P. Carver) on Arte TV. This film is an amazing silent film about the lives of Native Americans in what is now Canada, before the arrival of Europeans in America. The film was made using a cast of Native Americans in superb exteriors. The storyline describe their struggle through the winter to survive starvation. The new restoration is breathtaking. The landscapes are incredible. But all that would lack human interest if the storyline was not so gripping. The script was based upon stories told by the Indians themselves. This new restoration was accompanied by an excellent score. It's a fabulous picture, try to catch it if you can.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

It does sound fascinating. A way of live disappearing even then. I hope I can find it here.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I love the smell of Pre-Code in the morning!!!

Hello fellow pre-code fans. An acquaintance on a FaceBook group I belong to created this video. I think you'll love it.

[youtube][/youtube]

See some of your favorite pre-code hotties and those pre-code bad boys. Included are Tallu-Dietrich-Dvorak-Lombard-Crawford-Norma-Ann-Irene-Miriam-Mary-Claudette-Dorothy-Connie-Kay-Loretta-Sylvia-Myrna-AnnaMay-Ruth...Garbo...Harlow. Haunting clips and music. Enjoy!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

wow. thanks for sharing!!!!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That was great, I loved the editing! It makes me think maybe these pre-codes were the natural jump to a noir landscape. But then the code came in and we had ten years of screwballs, family drama and crime pics as Hollywood twisted itself into a pretzel, trying to get past the code. Not that I don't enjoy the 30's mix, in fact I think some of the work was even more creative than it would have been, but it makes me wonder if noir would have happened faster had we not been forced into those limitations.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's a "boatload" of work to edit together a tribute on YouTube if it's done right and not just a series of clips put to music. I know I promised you and our other "sisters under the mink" a compilation dvd of your own personal favoritie guys. I'm afraid I have to abandon that project allllltogether. Other things on ye olde broken plate. You'd be tough critics and I'd want to do a job that would make your jaws drop! But I can still admire and share others' work with you discerning film buffs.

These are the moments I liked in Sara's video ( I'll ask her who the chick in the jail cell is...darned if I know after repeated viewings. ) Sara is a film fan from Norway! My favorite moments include:

* Mae West's hurt bravado in the carriage ( like Claire Trevor in "Stagecoach" )

* Garbo's smacking that lady right smackdab in the kisser...POW!!! Tough Guy!!

* Claudette Colbert drunk. That's the sexiest I've seen her, "Cleo '34" notwithstanding. When'd she turn into a boring "Lady"?

* Crawford looks very fetching with Franchot, and when the cop is trying to haul her away.

* "Schwing" moment with the "Private Lives" clip. Oh boy!

* They way Harlow turns towards whoever is off-camera is hot'cha!!! He doesn't stand a chance!

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! I just wrote this on facebook, almost the same clips you picked out!
"I liked the ending, those mirror shots, lipstick. I liked seeing Claudette all messed up. I liked seeing Lyle Talbot, period. I liked the scenes from Sternberg, they were so radically different. Mae - yes I see Claire too. Ann Dvorak really jumped out at me in this vid, she's so tawdry. Connie smoking and playing honky tonk piano. Joan's iconic eyes peering out from the magazine. Jean turning and walking toward an unseen man. Ricardo Cortez staring sigh."
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hey I did read that. We'd better not be looking through the same eyes. :shock: My glasses' prescription is waaaaay higher than yours...and my eyes are usually blood shot on Fridays. :roll:

P.S. That gal in jail is Ruth Chatterton in "FRISCO JENNY."

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey I've seen that one, and it's a favorite. Ruth looked so feminine and loose there, I didn't recognize her. I think a great triple feature would be

Frisco Jenny - Ruth Chatterton
Safe in Hell - Dorothy MacKaill
Confession - Kay Francis
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Playing that honky tonk piano is Miriam Hopkins....
[u][color=#4040BF]JackFavell[/color][/u] wrote:Hey I've seen that one, and it's a favorite. Ruth looked so feminine and loose there, I didn't recognize her. I think a great triple feature would be

Frisco Jenny - Ruth Chatterton
Safe in Hell - Dorothy MacKaill
Confession - Kay Francis
IF YOU PROGRAM IT...THEY WILL COME!!

( My triple feature would be "Safe In Hell" "Rain" and maybe "Of Human Bondage." )

_________

I know, I know. I had my chance. TCM just aired "LUCKY STAR" a few weeks ago. But did I take advantage of it...did I watch one of the great teams of the 20's that wasn't Garbo & Gilbert...did I pass UP a chance to get myself Borzageeeeed?

Yeah. I did.

In my YouTube travels, I came upon this tribute to Farrell & Gaynor. Thought it'd be appropriate here. Click on foto and check it out. Gosh, Charlie was so big and good looking...and that wavy dark hair! I'm just lovin' turtlenecks on these big guys. Tsk! Tsk! And to think, I didn't appreciate him in “MY LITTLE MARGIE.”