WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

JackFavell

Re: WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

I have put off reading it as well, Alison, for that very reason. It doesn't stop me from watching his movies though. I find him very enjoyable.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Click on "The IT Girl." This'll be something you can check out Alison, if you see my post in time. You can report back to us here.

"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's the only night I'm out but I'll watch it on the iplayer and get back to you. I never check our TV listings, it's obviously up to you guys to give me a nod when something good is on.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

I watched The It Girl, what a documentary, for talking heads it ha Leonard Maltin, Kevin Brownlow and David Stenn (Clara's biographer). It featured the colour footage that has now been found showing her glorious red hair. What I liked best of all is that it is too easy to turn Clara's story into a weepie but it was quite uplifting, it told the story warts and all, including the rape by her father and murder attempt by her mother but it didn't mention any of the rumours that have followed her for years apart from to say there were rumours. She was an extremely hardworking, courageous young woman and a skilled actress. Thank you for giving me the heads up about it. I also had Chris researching if there were any methods to record the programme but we don't have a DVD recorder and unfortunately there is no way to save the programme. My hope is that it will be sold to the American market and you will be seeing it soon.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't know if this is the whole show or not...

[youtube][/youtube]
charliechaplinfan

It looks like it, I've moved the cursor along and everytime I stopped the recording it was on an excerpt of the programme. Enjoy it was a good broadcast.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hi Jaxxx. The program that was on the BBC is entitled “Hollywood’s Lost Screen Goddess – Clara Bow” so I'm not sure that what you've posted above is the same thing. Hey Alison, I'm glad you got to watch the program. I've always had a soft fascination with the "IT" Girl whose vivaciousness and open-ness seemed to get her in trouble in even those roaringest of Roaring 20's. Maybe she was better suited for the free-spirited swinging mad mod 60's?? Looking at this picture of her, I'm wondering if there's any actress today who can play her...

...and would there even be any interest by today's public for a gal who broke the mold over eighty years ago. I came up with two actresses today who "might" be able to play her.

ImageImage

Emma Stone / Mila Kunis

:shock: Oh brother, who am I kidding? :roll:

There is no one like Clara Bow. Let's just hope TCM puts her films on their roster ( along with a really good documentary ) so we can experience Bow's "IT" first hand, with nothing between her and us.

JACK FAVELL wrote:Maven, that avatar is stunning... is that your girl Anne? I've seen her 3 times this week in different movies.
Yes, it is. I think this photo of her is stunning too.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh I didn't realize that Alison was watching the program you posted the ad for... duh. I somehow thought she went and watched the other doc that I posted, entitled THE IT GIRL after she watched the other one. I'm lame brained lately.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Naaaah you're not lame-brained. Too many ships passing through the Oasis.

Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

JackFavell wrote:I don't know if this is the whole show or not...

[youtube][/youtube]
That's an excerpt of Hollywood (1980), the Brownlow & Gill documentary. I wouldn't be surprised if in the new doc they lifted part of the Brooks interviews and so on.
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

The documentary "Discovering the It Girl" is also included on the Kino release of IT. It's the one narrated by Courtney Love. Is that the one you're talking about CCF?

What makes that documentary uplifting for me -- and to your point -- is that they end it with a comment by her son. He relates how he got to watch some of her silent films later in life, and seeing her movements and expressions said, "That's Mother." It's so sweet, and makes me imagine her playing with her two boys out on that desert ranch, lavishing on them all her talent and verve in the role of mom.

As far as the rest of her catalog is concerned, her films seem to be notoriously hard to find, being a Paramount player. There were a couple of titles on a website called Sunrise Silents. But as I write this, I notice that the site has been taken down.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

intothenitrate wrote:The documentary "Discovering the It Girl" is also included on the Kino release of IT. It's the one narrated by Courtney Love. Is that the one you're talking about CCF?
No, CCF is talking about a newly produced BBC documentary broadcast on BBC4 recently.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Maybe it's not me, but the proliferation of Clara Bow docs all seemingly entitled THE IT GIRL. :D

I have seen that one narrated by Courtney Love, intothenitrate, and I too thought it was uplifting, because it didn't end on a career note, but on her life with her family.
charliechaplinfan

I seem to have confused everyone, when I clicked through the links all the pictures were fimiliar. I'm sorry I should have watched more of the youtube excerpt. I have seen the Courtney Love documentary but this new one does have the slight edge. It's so very well put together and aimed at the BBC4 market which is where all our higher brow programming went to, instead of lots of talking heads it has three, Kevin Brownlow, Leonard Maltin and David Stenn, it concentrates instead on letting us see Clara both in film footage and private photos. It's obviously had the backing of her children and includes an interview with her daughter in law. It was both for the fan and the newbie. I was impressed, I hope more documentaries are to follow.

I adore Clara, she was a natural, it left me wishing she'd made more movies.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

charliechaplinfan wrote:
I adore Clara, she was a natural, it left me wishing she'd made more movies.
Same here, Allison ... I share the same sediment as you! ... She was radiant on the Silver Screen!