WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

charliechaplinfan

Re: WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Corinne Griffiths was probably the most beautiful in a roster of very pretty ladies of the silent era.

Marie Prevost's looks changed a great deal in her young life, she battled with her weight, the camera is never kind and in an effort to stay thin I think she took things to help but they didn't. she died a very lonely death. And she was such a good actresses, she's another example of reading about and having her practically written off by one author to me discovering that she was a real talent. I think the picture was towards the end of her life.

Jobyna Ralston, what happened to her? I'm not a huge fan of Harold Lloyd but his films with her are my favourite.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Jobyna Ralston left movies when she started having kids, married to Richard Arlen. I prefer her Harold Lloyd films too.

You are talking to Marie Prevost's number one fan! it is sad that today she is so little known, or only known for her demise. She's a sparkling, wickedly sharp comedienne, but somehow remains soft and gentle at the same time. She's my favorite star of the teens and 20's. She was absolutely beautiful, but by the time the 30's rolled around, she was getting on in years, and had a weight problem, possibly brought on by acute alcoholism. She was naturally funny, never forced or brittle, she can make me laugh out loud faster than just about anyone. I have more photos of her than any other 20's star. I prefer to think of her this way:

I'm sorry, photobucket does not want to shrink that one large photo, I've even changed it's size on my computer, then uploaded it to photobucket, but it simply doesn't work. Grrrr. photobucket upgrade indeed.
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

I'm a big Jobyna booster myself, and have a lot of her films with Harold Lloyd. She has an interesting relationship with the camera lens. Sometimes she looks like an ordinary, somewhat plain girl, and then BAM, the light and the camera catch her just right and she transforms into a luminous beauty.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I have but the most rudimentary of knowledge about Silent Screen stars. Just these last couple of posts by you guys have opened my eyes and my mind.
[u]charliechaplinfan[/u] wrote:Corinne Griffiths was probably the most beautiful in a roster of very pretty ladies of the silent era. Marie Prevost's looks changed a great deal in her young life, she battled with her weight, the camera is never kind and in an effort to stay thin I think she took things to help but they didn't. she died a very lonely death. And she was such a good actresses, she's another example of reading about and having her practically written off by one author to me discovering that she was a real talent. I think the picture was towards the end of her life.
Girl, you can't listen to authors, critics, reviewers, and the like. You must see, read, discover a thing for yourself and make up your own mind. Then come back here lickety split and tell us.

Corinne Griffiths is absolutely beautiful. I'm going to look her up after I post this.
[u]JackFavell[/u] wrote:You are talking to Marie Prevost's number one fan! it is sad that today she is so little known, or only known for her demise. She's a sparkling, wickedly sharp comedienne, but somehow remains soft and gentle at the same time. She's my favorite star of the teens and 20's. She was absolutely beautiful, but by the time the 30's rolled around, she was getting on in years, and had a weight problem, possibly brought on by acute alcoholism. She was naturally funny, never forced or brittle, she can make me laugh out loud faster than just about anyone. I have more photos of her than any other 20's star. I'm sorry, photobucket does not want to shrink that one large photo, I've even changed it's size on my computer, then uploaded it to photobucket, but it simply doesn't work. Grrrr. photobucket upgrade indeed.

The upgrade sucks on Photobucket. I opted OUT of using it.

And now for Marie Prevost. Let me throw some love her way and pay homage to her. I read a bit about her. Saaaad end. I like remembering stars at their apex. The shot of her in the turban is drop dead gorgeous. Her eyes...

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

intothenitrate - You are so spot on with your assessment of Jobyna Ralston! She is so charming, a truly sweet actress, not to mention a stunning beauty. She is a big draw for me in the Harold Lloyd films. I wonder how many of her films without him exist? I'm watching one now, a Capra film from 1928 called The Power of the Press, seen here:

[youtube][/youtube]

Maven,

thanks for the Marie Prevost love! She's just fantastic, as good an actress as she is beautiful. Did you ever see Ladies of Leisure with Barbara Stanwyck, or Paid with Joan Crawford? Marie was sidekick to both of them. The Godless Girl is probably the most famous of her films, the one most readily available, or maybe The Marriage CIrcle or The Racket.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I'll look for those Jack. Thank you. :)

feaito

Post by feaito »

Tess, If you for BIG dramas please look for "Tempest" (1928) starring John Barrymore and Camilla Horn and of course the excellent "Pandora's Box" (1929). "The Godless Girl" is not to be missed either. As for Corinne Griffith, you should see her in "The Garden of Eden" (1928).
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thanxx for those tips too, Feaito. Who are your three biggest silent screen crushes?

charliechaplinfan

Of course Jobyna married Richard Arlen, I knew that, I'd just lost the information. They were in Wings together.

Corinne Griffith was beautiful but the two films I've seen with her in haven't done it for me, it's as if he looks were enough to bring the audience in and they probably were.

Marie Prevost was so beautiful and talented. For years I knew my silen stars only from Hollywood Babylon, how bad is that? No wonder I had a skewed vision of the era, more than half of that book is devoted to the silent era. This is before the bigger book stores and a decent library.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

CineMaven wrote:Thanxx for those tips too, Feaito. Who are your three biggest silent screen crushes?
Welcome Theresa. Biggest crushes? Corinne Griffith for sure is on the top of the list. Evil and exotic Myrna Loy would be another crush and, currently, lovely Esther Ralston. Betty Bronson is another dish.
charliechaplinfan

Camilla Horn was very nice and Dolores Costello.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Mary Astor is in silents too, T, very young and with this gorgeous hair that won't quit.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I actually think I have seen ”THE GODLESS GIRL.” I LOVE that movie title!!! I seem to remember youth gone wild, a riot in a school, and 20-year old-looking high school kids. I don’t know how I got to see it. But I remember it being wild. Sadism. Was the girl whipped? She renounced God or something?? My father was born in 1927. Is THIS the stuff that was going on. WoW! It’s all a jumble...in...my...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I know.

I sound crazy right about now, don’t I.

Let me post some pictures.

And I'm afraid I'm going to be saying "WOW!" a lot. Blame yourselves. You got me started!

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, that's the one. You do not sound like a raving lunatic.

Or at least any more than any of us here. :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Red River calls me "Cravin' Maven" so let me live up to my name...

[u]charliechaplinfan[/u] wrote:Camilla Horn was very nice and Dolores Costello.
I literally have never heard the name CAMILLA HORN before. Wow, she looks so sophisticated. When I was looking up pictures of her, she in turn reminded me of Dietrich...and Carol Lynley. And a bit of Lombard too. Ha! Go figure.

ImageImageImage

But I have heard and seen Dolores Costello. But apparently, not enough. WOW!
She’s got a little Jessica Lange in her. Maybe a teensy Keira Knightley. Love Dolores' eyebrows. I must look at ”THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS” again.

ImageImage

I especially like this striking foto of her ( Wikipedia bio included if you click the picture ) - she's beautiful.

Her granddaughter is DREW BARRYMORE.