WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

The plus side to my tearing my ligaments is that I took Karl Brown's book Adventures with DW Griffiths to casualty with me, it was a long wait and I had chance to read about the making of Intolerance. That picqued my interest so much I decided that one of the best ways to spend my invalided time was to rewatch Intolerance. It was one of the very first silents I watched, it seemed long the first time around but second time (thanks for the chance to watch it with the Carl Davis score Gagman) the time just flew. My astonishment at the size of the sets wasn't diminshedm if anything I was more amazed. It is a work of utter genius, so advanced for it's day. My way with words cannot do it justice.

I must make time for BOTN, I keep putting off watching it, knowing that I will find part of it distasteful but I know that any serious fan of silents has got to see it.

Next another treat was Mare Nostrum, thanks Brenda. Rex Ingram again directing Alice Terry (not wooden this time) , this time with Antonio Moreno (in the best performance I've seen him give, he should have lost his moustache more often) This film is Mata Hari/ Dishonoured 6 yeears early, Freya's death scene has a touch of the Dietrich about it, or should I say vice versa. A truly handsome film.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

:D Glad you liked it Alison! Alice thought she really got the chance to act in this one, and I have to agree. Too bad Rex didn't put her in more truly dramatic parts. She always just seems to be "eye candy." Antonio had a better part in this one too. I'd only ever seen him in "It" before.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Alison,

:) Sorry to hear about your Ankle! That's awful. Hope you feel better soon. The Thames version of INTOLERANCE is by far the best print I have seen, and has the Carl Davis score too. I have no idea why only inferior prints, with mediocre scores are on DVD, when this one could be instead? Although allot of the Crucifixion is missing. I also have the Thames version of THE BIRTH OF A NATION, with the John Lanchbery score. Again far and away the best print of this film I have seen anyplace. From an original nitrate of the 1921 re-issue.

Brenda,

:? In addition to IT, and MARE NOSTRUM, I have seen Antonio Mereno in Garbo's THE TEMPTRESS which is on DVD. I think I have him in a couple other films, but the titles escape me at the moment. This is the film of his I really want to see THE FLAMING FOREST (1926) with Renee Adoree. Filmed in Two-Strip Technicolor, and the movie is not lost! Another MGM Silent Warner's has under lock and key. Maybe sometime it will resurface? Sure hope so.

Renee Adoree, with Antonio Mereno. From THE FLAMING FOREST(1926)

feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks to Alison I watched the wonderful Silent version of "Beau Geste" (1926), which I must admit is the best version I've seen. Although I liked very much the 1939 Wellman talkie version, that stars Gary Cooper and which has been one of my favorite adventure films over the years, this Silent version is superior. The print I watched has some wonderful background classical music, of which I could identify some of Vivaldi's work. This film demonstrates the huge talent of the great director Herbert Brenon, who gave the story a touching approach which moved me quite a bit. The performances are very good and Ronald Colman gives an excellent performance, as the dashing, self-sacrificing, noble hero. This film definitely should be better known. Superb! I gave it ten out of ten at IMDB.
Last edited by feaito on November 9th, 2008, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bdp

Post by bdp »

I have an import Japanese laserdisc of the 1926 Beau Geste, and I don't think any other film I've ever seen drew me in and absolutely hooked me right from the start as this one did. Part of why it's not more well known is that it's a Paramount and they're just not interested in their silent catalog - apart from that laserdisc, and a couple of brief releases on VHS by public domain companies (who probably heard from Paramount lawyers) it's never been out on video, and that's just a shame.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I got to see a very funny silent comedy by René Clair: Les Deux Timides (1928). The story revolves around a young lawyer (Pierre Batcheff) who suffers from a terribe shyness. During his first plea in court when he is supposed to defend a wife-beater, he makes a huge blunder and his client gets the maximum. We move some times later. The man has been released after serving his time while the shy young lawyer is trying to court a young lady. But his fomer client has set his eyes on the same person...
All the ingredients of a perfect comedy of manners are assembled: the shy and quite silly lawyer, his overbearing client, the lawyer's powerful aunt (Françoise Rosay), the ingenue and the retiring and shy father of the lady in question. Clair uses very cleverly a split screen technique or 'painting the portrait' of an event as seen by a person. It's brilliantly paced and quite hilarious. He gave this Labiche comedy a wonderful edge. Very funny!!! 8)
feaito

Post by feaito »

bdp wrote:I have an import Japanese laserdisc of the 1926 Beau Geste, and I don't think any other film I've ever seen drew me in and absolutely hooked me right from the start as this one did. Part of why it's not more well known is that it's a Paramount and they're just not interested in their silent catalog - apart from that laserdisc, and a couple of brief releases on VHS by public domain companies (who probably heard from Paramount lawyers) it's never been out on video, and that's just a shame.
I agree with you Kyle. I was lucky enough to buy some of Paramount's (75th Anniversary) OOP officially released VHS: "The Docks of New York", "The Wedding March" and "The last Command" and it was really a thrill to watch each of these films.
bdp

Post by bdp »

Those were all excellent releases; problem was that, for once, Paramount was way ahead of the curve, sales were disappointing so now they won't even consider any silent film releases. I do wish they would grant video rights on a per film basis to Flicker Alley, Kino, Lobster, etc.
feaito

Post by feaito »

bdp wrote:Those were all excellent releases; problem was that, for once, Paramount was way ahead of the curve, sales were disappointing so now they won't even consider any silent film releases. I do wish they would grant video rights on a per film basis to Flicker Alley, Kino, Lobster, etc.
Let's keep our fingers crossed! :wink:

Up to know I think that the only Paramount Silent that has been released to DVD, please correct me if I'm wrong is "The 10 Commandments" (1923), which is included as an extra in the Special Edition of the 1956 film. "The Show-Off" (1926) and "It" (1927) have been released by other companies (Image, Kino et al).
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Fernando,

:o In addition to the Paramount titles that you mentioned, there have been a small handful of others released on DVD. Herbert Brenon's PETER PAN (1924) in a gorgeous print from Kino. Ernst Lubisch THE MARRIAGE CIRCLE (1924), and The Richard Dix Western THE VANISHING AMERICAN (1925) were both put out by Image on DVD. Another Dix Western REDSKIN (1928) in Technicolor was included in the 3rd Treasures From The American Film Archives collection last year. Plus some of the early De Mille's that have fallen into the Public Domain. Etc. I have probably overlooked a few others.

William Wellman's BEGGARS OF LIFE (1928) with Richard Arlen, Wallce Beery, and Louise Brooks was restored in 2006 by George Eastman House. There has been no hint of a DVD,. Though I know all kinds of people that want one. Gloria Swanson's STAGE STRUCK (1925) in Two-trip Technicolor was also recently restored and looks great. New 35 millimeter prints of UNDERWORLD and THE LAST COMMAND have just been struck within the last few years, but you can only see these at live screening's at the present time.

Here is a link to a showing coming up in just a few days of Rowland V. Lee's BARBED WIRE which is one of my favorite films. So a few Paramount's including THE DOCKS OF NEW YORK are currently touring the Art Houses.

http://www.filmsonthehill.com/index.html
Last edited by Gagman 66 on November 9th, 2008, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for the feedback Jeff, I've seen both "Barbed Wire" (1927) and "Beggars of Life" (1928) and they are very good films. They deserve a proper release on DVD. By the way my friend, "The Marriage Circle" (1924) is a Warner Brothers film not a Paramount picture.

Sadly, in Santiago there are no Art Houses and I haven't met yet any film buff -here- who truly enjoys Silents :cry:
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Fernando,

:o Yikes, I could have sworn THE MARRIAGE CIRCLE was Paramount? CHILDREN OF DIVORCE is touring now too. It is being screened at a Josef' Von Sternberg retrospective in New York this month. Although the film was credited to it's nominal director Frank Lloyd. For what ever reason Von Sternberg was brought in to complete the project.

Here is a link:

http://www.nga.gov/programs/film/vonsternberg.shtm
bdp

Post by bdp »

Kino was able to release Peter Pan because Paramount never owned it, which was a mandate of James Barrie.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Kyle,

:o What about A KISS FOR CINDERELLA then? How come Paramount has that one?

:) Did you watch the Photo-play version of WINGS yet?
CoffeeDan

Post by CoffeeDan »

bdp wrote:Kino was able to release Peter Pan because Paramount never owned it, which was a mandate of James Barrie.
Same thing with THE VANISHING AMERICAN -- Zane Grey's estate controls the rights.