WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

drednm

Post by drednm »

And the fantasy scene with Swanson in the lions' den is quite famous.... I loved Swanson's autobiography... a great read.

Meighan was a bigger star than Eugene O'Brien, whom I've seen in only one film I can think of: FINE MANNERS with Gloria Swanson. I saw this one at Eastman House (a perfect print) and have a so-so copy. Meighan also made the transition to talkies but was nearly 50 when talkies came in. But he was still starring in late-20s films like THE RACKET and THE MATING CALL. His last film was PECK'S BAD BOY (he played the father) in 1934.

I have a set of 1920s sterling silver spoons. The 12-spoon set was a movie star gimmick and each spoon has a picture of a star at the end of the handle with his/her signature running along the stem. Thomas Meighan is among the 12 stars.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Yes that Babylon scene is fantastic.

Thomas Meigham really aged well, to think he was 40 in 1919 when he starred with Swanson and he looked much younger, especially at a time when people in general looked older than their actual ages.

You are very lucky to own that set of silver spoons!
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Re. Peter Pan, I think I've read that both Mary Pickford and Lillian Gish were after the part. Lillian Gish certainly seemed to resent not getting it. She mentions in her autobiography on two separate occasions that Sir James Barrie had actually chosen her for the part. Still, I think it's lucky the part went to an actress who was a bit more boyish, even if Mary and Lillian could have pulled it off with their talent.

I saw Mare Nostrum a couple of days ago, thanks to Brenda! It was nice to finally get to see one of the films by the famous Rex Ingram. This is a pretty interesting film, a mix between an old legend and a WWI movie. It's not very strong on the realism though, the ships look very much like models to me. On the other hand the location shooting is superb. I love the scenery of Pompeii.

This film is very different and I like that. Above all I'm impressed with Alice Terry's climactic scene, it's quite brilliant and I can definitively see why William K Everson thought Rex Ingram was one of the best American silent film directors of the 20's from viewing that scene. Antonio Moreno, I can't see from this film how he could be a rival to Valentino since here he appears to be much more mature (but then again that goes with the part, he plays a father) but he gives a haunting performance and is a very likable character. I'm looking forward to seeing more films by Rex Ingram.
drednm

Post by drednm »

I can picture Mary Pickford as Peter Pan (she would have loved the flying sequences!) but I cannot imagine Lillian Gish in the role. As I said, Betty Bronson was just fine.

Others I can see in the role include Marion Davies and Leatrice Joy since they both played "cross-dressing" parts. Even Laura LaPlante would have been a delight.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks to Hedvig I watched the eerie, very sad, atmospheric, even scary Swedish film "The Phantom Carriage" (1921). It is really one of the most powerful, heart-wrenching Silents I have seen. Very naturalistic and excellently played by all the actors, lead by Victor Sjöström. The actress who plays his wife has an uncanny resemblance to Marjorie Rambeau and to an older Lillian Gish.

An impressive photoplay.
Last edited by feaito on January 2nd, 2009, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Hilda Borgström. She also played the title character in Ingeborg Holm. She's really moving in The Phantom Carriage. It's one of my favourite movies and I'm glad you liked it, Fernando. :)
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for sharing it with me. I doubt that I'd been able to obtain it here. Did this film influence Ingmar Bergman's work?
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Synnove wrote: Antonio Moreno, I can't see from this film how he could be a rival to Valentino since here he appears to be much more mature (but then again that goes with the part, he plays a father) but he gives a haunting performance and is a very likable character. I'm looking forward to seeing more films by Rex Ingram.
I think it also has much to do with Moreno's makeup, it's not flattering nor does it hide his age. I have a similar difficulty when viewing IT. That said, I've seen some very hunky shots of Moreno, and he did have a good deal of charm as well as being a precursor to Valentino by several years. After Valentino, I think, the cards were all shuffled and Rudy was the standardbearer for the exotic latin male, at least until the playing field was muddied by the addition of Novarro and the non-latin latins, Rod LaRocque, Ricardo Cortez and John Gilbert. I like all of them and am very fond of Cortez in pre-code WB pictures.

As for Ingram, do see Four Horsemen if you get a chance, I still think it's a great picture (and not just because of Valentino). Scarmouche is lovely to look at, Prisoner of Zenda is terrific and I've wanted to see The Arab and Where the Pavement Ends for years. Mare Nostrum is not a favorite, but I blame my ambivalence towards Alice Terry, she's pretty but dull, to me.

Donna
feaito

Post by feaito »

I have just seen the great Pre-Code "Blonde Venus" (1932). I love Von Sternberg's Universe and in this film Marlene shines very brightly. Cary Grant is good in this early role as Marlene's admirer and Herbert Marshall is OK as her husband, but it's Dickie Moore who steals the show as Marlene's endearing son. The Hot Vodoo number is incredible.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I saw the very campy "Chandu the Magician" (1932) LOL :lol:
drednm

Post by drednm »

Dietrich as a gorilla steals the show
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Feaito wrote:
Did this film [The Phantom Carriage] influence Ingmar Bergman's work?
Happy New Year, Feaito (and everyone!)

Bergman talks at length about the influence Sjöström's films, and particularly The Phantom Carriage, had on him in the documentary on Sjöström included on the Kino release of The Outlaw and His Wife. I have yet to see The Phantom Carriage, although the documentary includes many lengthy (and, I'm afraid, plot revealing), sequences, which certainly seem to be right up Bergman's alley, particularly influencing the "dream sequence" in Wild Strawberries, which also draws heavily from Dreyer's Vampyr).

in regards to Peter Pan, I think Lillian Gish would have been entirely wrong for the part. While perhaps unfair, her screen-persona was just too "serious" and, while I have little doubt she could have pulled it off, it would add a burden to the film. Pickford would be a more likely choice, of course, but then the film would have been a Pickford film, which would be an entirely different film than the near masterpiece it is now (I love this film, although Anna May Wong could have been in it a lot more!)

If we're tossing out possible Pan's though, I'd vote for Jackie Coogan. He'd have been ten or eleven, I think, when the film was produced, (I'm unsure how old Pete is supposed to be).

Bronson is pretty perfect, though...
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Synnove wrote:
I saw Mare Nostrum a couple of days ago, thanks to Brenda! It was nice to finally get to see one of the films by the famous Rex Ingram. This is a pretty interesting film, a mix between an old legend and a WWI movie. It's not very strong on the realism though, the ships look very much like models to me. On the other hand the location shooting is superb. I love the scenery of Pompeii.

This film is very different and I like that. Above all I'm impressed with Alice Terry's climactic scene, it's quite brilliant and I can definitively see why William K Everson thought Rex Ingram was one of the best American silent film directors of the 20's from viewing that scene. Antonio Moreno, I can't see from this film how he could be a rival to Valentino since here he appears to be much more mature (but then again that goes with the part, he plays a father) but he gives a haunting performance and is a very likable character. I'm looking forward to seeing more films by Rex Ingram.
I'm glad you enjoyed it Hedvig! It's the only film I've seen where Alice truly acts. In a lot of her roles, she seems to be slightly bored, even with Rudy. :)
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
drednm

Post by drednm »

Finally watched the 1926 NELL GWYN with Dorothy Gish in her biggest "solo" hit, playing the famous orange vender who becomes a king's consort. My copy is a little dark but watchable although I suspect something is missing from the 75-minute print as the ending is very choppy. The music is just dreadful.

Gish is really terrific as the irrepressible urchin who treats the old king (Randle Ayrton) like a man (not a king) and who delights the old man with her saucy attitude toward his old favorite, the Lady Castlemaine (Juliette Compton).

Gish does a few stage bits (Nell is made an actress by the king) that are quite good, including her see-thru dress and the "big hat" number.

A pity Gish didn't do more talkies. She made her talkie debut in 1930 and didn't make another film until WW II.....
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

You're lucky Dredm, Nell Gwyn sounds very good!

During the past few days, I have been watching quite a few silents.

The Penalty (1920) with Lon Chaney. This early gangster picture contains a lot of highly censorable scenes: nudity, violence, etc. :shock: It was before the Hayes code and producers could go all the way! I have been really impressed not only by Chaney's performance but also by his co-stars. It's just the ending that jarred slightly as Chaney becomes suddenly a do-goody after a life of evil. Nevertheless, worth investigating. :)

The Nut (1921) with Douglas Fairbanks. It's an absolutely delightful comedy full of surprises, extremely well scripted by Anita Loos. Doug is a first class comedian and his acting and pacing is brilliant. I followed this one by The Matrimaniac (1916) where his co-star is the wonderful Constance Talmadge. 8) The film is again full of madness with some hair-raising stunts like Doug walking on telephone wires!!! :o :lol: Absolutely wonderful. I'll investigate more early Doug comedies in next few days. :D