WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I haven't had much chance to watch anything over the last few days but I did see A Man With a Silk Hat a brilliant documentary about the work of Max Linder by his daughter MAud Linder, thankfully for once this documentary shows lots of excerpts of his work, unlike a lot of todays documentaries when the 'talking heads' get all the airtime saying what they liked whilst the viewer is screaming out to see actual footage.

I was very impressed by what I saw, this is the man Chaplin stole from and reverred, I could see why, it was so very obvious, the footage too is very old and crying out for a good restoration and DVD release, alas I'm informed that Maud Linder no longer wants to share her father's work with the world and is taking legal action to prevent any release or public showing, that's so sad.

Hedvig, on New Years eve we were at home and all night The Phantom Carriage kept coming to me, it made my spine all tingly.

I love Blonde Venus, I love Dickie Moore and I love Hot Voodoo.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
bdp

Post by bdp »

drednm wrote:Finally watched the 1926 NELL GWYN with Dorothy Gish in her biggest "solo" hit, playing the famous orange vender who becomes a king's consort.
I wish somebody would do a first-class restoration of this film - the excerpts of it in Cinema Europe are stunning.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I watched more Fairbanks last night. First The Mollycoddle (1920) directed by Victor Fleming. In this one, he is an American who has gone 'soft' after spending too much time in Monte-Carlo. He will have to change quickly when he meets the dangerous smuggler, Wallace Beery, and he has to stop him in the middle of the Arizona desert. Again, absolutely delightful. It starts rather slowly with Doug making fun of himself before performing some incredible stunts like falling from a tree while fighting nasty Wally and then into a river and a waterfall! :shock: :o
Flirting with Fate (1916) shows him as an impoverished artist who decides that life is not worth living any more. He hires a hit man to kill him. But just as he has done so, luck is back! He receives a huge fortune and the woman he loves wants to marry him. Poor Doug is terrified that the assassin will come to kill him.....not knowing that the guy has become a member of the Salvation Army! :lol: Again hilarious pacing and wonderfully entertaining title cards (that is something really rare!!!) where the pianist is asked to play the Wedding March from Lohengrin!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
drednm

Post by drednm »

NELL GWYN was in pretty good shape, assuming that the entire picture could be lightened up a little....
feaito

Post by feaito »

Michigan,

Thanks for the info re. The Phantom Carriage & Bergman.

I'm going to be out of circulation a few days, because yesterday I was hospitalized due to an acute pancreatitis and I'm not sure how long I will be here.

Now I'm able to write because my sister lent me her laptop and at this clinic there's wi-fi. I'm goin to miss you all.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Oh, Nando, how terrible for you. Please get well soon, and keep us posted as you are able. We're going to miss you, friend.

Best wishes for a complete recovery

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Feo, be well soon. I may not always reply but I always read your words with interest and pleasure. Take care!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Fernando, please get well soon and take care of yourself! We will miss you and want updates as much as possible! My thoughts and prayers are with you.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Dear Fernando, I hope you'll get better very soon. Take care! :wink:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Ah, Nando - what a way to start the New Year. I hope you are not in too much discomfort and that you will be back to your regular routine soon.
charliechaplinfan

Dear Fernando, get well soon. I hope your stay isn't too long and that you'll be back in circulation soon.

Take care of yourself

Alison
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Dear Fernando, I also really hope you'll get well soon!

Hedvig
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Yesterday I was thinking of Fernando as I was watching a film I am sure he would enjoy: L'Homme des Folies Bergères (1935) by Roy Del Ruth & Marcel Achard with Maurice Chevalier and Nathalie Paley. This is the French version of Folies Bergères de Paris (1935) shot in parallel also with Chevalier.
It turned out as a charming musical with Chevalier doing some really cute numbers as a music hall artist. But later on, he has to replace Cassini, a banker, during a party as they are perfect lookalikes (Chevalier playing both parts). Then the banker's wife (Nathalie Paley) is suddenly very much attracted by her husband who sounds so 'different'...
The print was gorgeous showing off Peverell Marley's great work. I have never seen the American version, but this one was very entertaining with French actor, Fernand Ledoux doing an Eric Blore impersonation. :lol:
charliechaplinfan

I'm sure he would have enjoyed it too.

I watched Kevin Brownlow's documentary on Cecil B DeMille. It perhaps should go in another category but as it is his silents that impress me and because Kevin's work is mainly in the silent film field I'll put it here.

The impression I've gained of Cecil B DeMille over the years is of a flawed man, this documentary didn't dispell that thought. It did give me a better perspective as to just how important he was in early Hollywood and how his career was shaped after the coming of sound. One thing that impressed me the most is that he had the guts to make The Godless Girl.

As a silent film director he is one of the best as for talkies, I've never seen one of them that he has directed and it didn't give me the urge to go out and view any.
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

Hey Charlie,

I do think DeMille was better suited for silents and most of the talkies of his I’ve seen are too long and overdone; kind of like he was trying too hard. The best of his talkies I have seen so far is The Plainsman (1936) with Gary Cooper and Jean Arthur. Historically, it’s all over the place but we shouldn’t learn history from the movies anyway so I’ll let it slide. :wink: It is a well made, fun picture and at just a shade under 2 hours it doesn’t get too big for itself like so many of his others. Gary and Jean are great in their roles as Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane and they are one of my fave movie pairings. This one doesn’t seem much like a DeMille picture so if you ever do want to watch one of his talkies, I can recommend this one.

Definitely stay away from The Greatest Show on Earth; it's a shame they gave that one the best picture Oscar. What a waste :(
“I never really thought of myself as an actor. But I’d learned to ride on my dad’s ranch and I could do some roping stunts and working as an extra was better than starving as an artist nobody wanted on the West Coast.” - Gary Cooper