WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Robert Regan

Re: WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by Robert Regan »

Right, ChiO. Naremore and Fujiwara are both treasures.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

FRIDAYS IN SEPTEMBER ( 2014 )

"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Dear Friends, Those of you who have read some of my Lost Women of Hollywood know that those included are all people whose work I have seen and recognized as actors of talent. Yesterday, though, I was reminded of Lucille Ricksen, a silent star I have never seen, but who is certainly Lost, though barely a Woman. Her short life and career is one of the saddest and most infuriating stories to come out of Hollywood. I urge everyone interested (and I mean you, Theresa!) to take a look at Michael Ankerich's moving and beautifully illustrated entry on his blog. http://michaelgankerich.wordpress.com/2 ... hollywood/
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's a fascinating story, Robert. So sad that she lost her life before it really began.
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Indeed it is, Wendy. I wonder if any of her films have survived, and if anyone here has seen any.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

You rang?

One of the saddest tales I've ever read out of Hollywood. It's a shame her mother didn't protect her.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

You said it, my friend!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Hollywood is so full of tragic tales: from Peg Entwistle to Barbara Payton . . . to beyond.

Never heard of that gal, Robert, but that poor sweet thing in most of those photographs had that look of melancholia on her pretty features - even it seems from a young age.

All I can hope for is that her blessed soul has found peace.
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

I hear you, WG.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Amazing Bob. Never had heard of her and of this utterly sad story. Dead at 14! Exploited and overworked. How sad. She lost her childhood and innocence all too soon. Thanks for sharing this little- known life story with all of us.
Last edited by feaito on September 9th, 2014, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

You're welcome, Fedo. Among all the tragic stories of Hollywood, this may be the worst.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

kingrat wrote:James Gleason is hilarious. These two probably have the most screen time, although the handsome and sweet if not extremely talented Buster Crabbe gets top billing, with Ida Lupino, all but unrecognizable in her "poor man's Jean Harlow" platinum blonde look, second. There's little in her performance to suggest the terrific work she will soon be doing. Robert Armstrong winds up playing straight man to Gleason. Toby Wing dances in her undies on a table top.
I liked Gleason so much when his publicity schemes were frustrated. His expressions were priceless. Wish we could have a Jimmy Gleason Star of the Month someday!
kingrat wrote:Did I mention the copious amounts of male and female pulchritude on display, even including bare butts in the men's locker room? I loved the newspaper headline "Don Jackson Goes On World Tour for Beautiful Youths." Didn't Gore Vidal do something like that? By the way, "youths" in this film clearly refers to both sexes.
I think this is one of the reasons the Production Code was seen as "needed" if not wanted within the film industry. Too much flesh on display, though I had to scoff at the alleged examples of male pulchritude from Texas! He was kind of puny and not very appealing--though I hope you caught sight of a very young Ann Sheridan among the robust girls.

Buster Crabbe was almost as darling (if unburdened by acting talent) as he was when he ran around in '30s-style speedos with Edna May Oliver in We're Rich Again (1934). Also, did you notice that none of the girls were allowed to have eyebrows. Especially when they were 15 year old Ida Lupino, who looked grotesque. Gee, how odd that the film producers who asked her to come to Hollywood to screen test for Alice in Wonderland passed on that chance once she showed up looking like she did then. And underneath all that goop and hair dye she was really so pretty. Who knew?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm all for a James Gleason month....
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Me, too, Jacks! James Gleason and Joan Blondell....one can never have enough of either!!! :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard