Poil de Carotte (1925)

Ann Harding

Poil de Carotte (1925)

Post by Ann Harding »

I finally bought this new DVD of Julien Duvivier's silent version of Poil de Carotte. Like the Au Bonheur des Dames DVD, it's encoded in the NTSC format, region free and equiped with English and German subs. The print is gorgeous.

ImageImage

Poil de Carotte (Carrot top) is the nickname of François Lepic (André Heuzé) refering to his red hair and freckles. The child is mistreated constantly by his nasty mother and ignored by his absent father. Only the maid shows him some kind of affection. The child starts to think of committing suicide...

Like Jacques Feyder's Visages d'Enfants (1923), this film is about an unhappy child. But, there is a much darker tone in this film. Poil de Carotte is the scapegoat of all evils for his mother. He is constantly bullied, sent for errands, slapped. Life becomes properly unbearable. The father doesn't realise what's happening until later. Duvivier likes to explore the dark side of human beings. There, he has a perfect example of evil with Mme Lepic, François' mother; she is a nasty gossip with a moustache. I was already very familiar with the story as Julien Duvivier remade the film as a talkie in 1932 with Robert Lynen (in the title role) and Harry Baur as the father. Watching the two films side by side, I would say they are both excellent. The child actors in both films are giving brilliant performances, probably due to Duvivier's excellent direction. I would give the 1932 version the edge only regarding the casting of the father, Harry Baur which I find superior to Henri Krauss. There is a wonderful interaction between Baur and Lynen. That said, the silent version is a brilliant picture in its own right with a great use of the lanscape (its was shot in the French Alps). This is definitely a must see! :D
Robert Lynen in the 1932 version
bdp

Post by bdp »

That does look gorgeous. I do love European silent film.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

So do I, Kyle! :D I just wished more silent films were available on DVD in France. Not a single Gance silent is available at the moment in France..... :?

We have to thank Arte and Lobster films for these two Duvivier silents. Let's hope they'll release more films in the future. 8)
bdp

Post by bdp »

Luckily La Roue and J'Accuse are set for a DVD release this summer, at least here in the US. And I have my trusty old laserdisc set of Napoleon.

Lobster Films has been doing some excellent releases.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Ann,

:) Wow, those capture stills are incredible! The film looks like it was just shot last week! I have never heard of this movie, but I will look it up. Lobster is also working with David Sheppard's group on the restoration of BARDELY'S THE MAGNIFICENT? Does this mean that the film is not the property of Warner's? What is the story? Anyone know?

Kyle,

:o I just watched Abel Gance NAPOLEON (1927) again for the first time in 3 years. I am afraid that I completely disagree with Izcutter that the Carmine Coppalla score isn't any good! I think it's fantastic! Although granted some of the early scenes might be slightly over-orchestrated?

:shock: The print is also quite excellent for a 1981 restoration! And Brownlow actually started restoring this feature back in 1975! So it took several years to complete the initial project. Definitely one of the greatest Motion Pictures ever made!

:roll: On the downside, the film clearly moves much to fast at 24 frames per second though most of the time. This is not the right speed for NAPOLEON, though I understand why it had to be that way for a theatrical release in 1981.

:P Why can't they compromise on a DVD collection containing both the older restoration with the Coppalla score, and the newer one, with the Carl Davis score? What's wrong with that idea??? Petty Anxt over who's score is the best is a silly reason for this Masterpiece to be with-held from the public! :cry:

Hey, did anyone catch the ad's? TCM is now promoting the Prime-Time Premier of Gance long un-seen LE ROUE (1923) on April 27th heavily! I think this is wonderful! Can't wait to see it!
:wink:
bdp

Post by bdp »

I've never sensed that the Coppola restoration of Napoleon is moving too fast; I'd lot rather have a silent move too fast than too slow (see 'Limite') I also think the Coppola score is fantastic, but would still be interested in hearing Carl Davis' score.

April 27th for La Roue - didn't realize it was coming up so soon. I'll have to set the DVR, even though I fully intend to buy that and J'Accuse when they come out on DVD.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

There must be some complex film rights issues regarding Gance in France. I hope one channel over here will show the new restoration of La Roue....I am also dying to see it!!!! :P