Chaplin, the great musical composer

stuart.uk

Chaplin, the great musical composer

Post by stuart.uk »

my favourite piece of film music enhanced what was also my fav moive scene when the workshop tried to forceably take Jackie Coogan away from the man he regarded as his father in The Kid. the fact the music, which may have been written by Chaplin as late as the early 70s (CharlieChaplinfan might know, but i know Charlie wrote a version of it in old age) gives further testament as to how great he was.

He also wrote for The Gold Rush and the films that followed. at the end of City Lights, the score again enhances a magnificent scene where former blind girl Virginia Cherril recognizes the Tramp by touching his hand. some of Chaplin's music from the film was used in A Scent Of A Woman in the 1990s

Chaplin proved he could like George Gershwin comfortably cross over bewtween classical and popular music. in Modern Times he wrote a lovely little tune that lyrics were later added to and Nat King Cole had one of his biggest hits, Smile. as an old man Chaplin directed The Countess From Homg Kong, writing the 60s hit Love This Is My Song for Petula Clark

next to The Kid, Limelight is my favourite Chaplin score. the fact that he won an Oscar for the score 20-yrs after the film was made, wasn't just sentiment, it was justified because it was a magnificent soundtrack, combining the classical world of ballet and the music hall stage.
catherine

Post by catherine »

Chaplin's scores really are astounding and the music to Limelight is divine. There is a compilation of all his scores in print still, I believe. That this little fellow with every disadvantage as a youth came to be such a creative force is inspiring.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Chaplin's scores are adorable. I have the CD, the kids love listening to it. Of his early work the moment Jackie Coogan is torn from Charlie's arms the music just adds to the anguish. A perfect example of music and film working together to sewll the emotions.

Of his later work it's Limelight that I'm most fond of.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I think Chaplin used to watch and study pit bands, as they played for music hall artists. people rightly mention how great Charlie did considering his humble beginings, but i'd like to pay tribute to his half brother Syd, who was instrumental in getting Charlie started at Fred Karno's troupe and appears to have been a great talent in his own right.

not to mention Stan Laurel, who was Charlie's understudy under Karno. who would have guest what the future held for those great comic actors

according to the movie about Charlie's life his 3rd marraige to Paulette Goddard broke down because of his obsession with the score of Modern Times. from what i can gather there may have been an element of truth in that.
Last edited by stuart.uk on June 1st, 2008, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

I've not heard that cited as the reason for the breakdown.

Chaplin says himself that he and Paulette were two lonely souls who hooked up together, he says they were married but some think they never married. Paulette lost Scarlett in GWTW because she couldn't produce a marriage certificate. Whatever their status they stayed together for many years. I think he was obsessed with his work and she was taken with her career. Chaplin tells of how her agent came to see him and started making demands about what was best for Paulette. Didn't he have her best interests at heart being married to her? Whatever the reason by the time they made The Great Dictator together they were romantically estranged. They always remained friends and were neighbours in Switzerland.

he could play the piano, cello and violin from an early age but couldn;t read music. He would hum the tunes he wanted to an arranger who would take them down, he was the best person to score these wonderful films.

Lastly stuart mentioned Syd Chaplin, a comedian I've only seen with Charlie but they are excellent together. He did have some success of his own. His big talent was behind the scenes making deals and investing Charlie's money. Charlie said Syd had always said when he had so much in the bank he would retire and he did.

Stan Laurel and Charlie Chaplin used to room together in a house that didn't allow cooking in the rooms. Stan Laurel would cook chops over a little stove and Charlie would play the violin to disguise the sound of cooking. I would just love to have been a fly on the wall.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
catherine

Post by catherine »

Charles Chaplin Jr. speaks highly of Paulette Goddard in his bio of his dad, an honest book that, to me, described a loving, engaged father. But Paulette was just utterly wonderful, as were Oona and Uncle Syd.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Paulette Goddard and Chaplin remained friends, didn't they?

Did Chaplin write the song Smile? I think it's the most beautiful music for any of his films. I particularly like Madeleine Peyroux's rendition of the song.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Chaplin certainly wrote the music of Smile for Modern Times, but it seems likely that another writer composed the lyrics some yrs later.

Richard Attenbourgh used the song to full effect in at least two scenes in Chaplin. it used just after Robert Downey's Chaplin had been told of his first love Hetty Kelly's death, 3 yrs before, just as he was about to face a huge London crowd as he got of the train. it was also used during his and Paulette's marraige break-up
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Chaplin wrote the music as one of the main themes for Modern Times and Joe Turner and Geoffrey Parsons added lyrics in 1954. Nat King Cole had a huge hit with it (It sounds a bit overproduced now, but Nat really nails it). I like Madeleine Peyroux’s take, but it’s slightly more upbeat (with the ukes, who’d a thought?); I love the trumpet solo.

The documentary Charlie Chaplin: The Forgotten Years focuses on Chaplin’s years in Switzerland and goes over his writing the music for his films. As mentioned, while he could play many instruments by ear, he couldn’t read or write music, and therefore “hummed” the themes for transcription. It’s unfair how much talent one guy can have. With the exception of the early music in A Woman of Paris, (which I find a little bombastic), his scores are the perfect match for his films.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

I thought he had written it, but wondered if he had come up with the lyrics too. Thank you for clearing that up.

His musical scores are very appropriate. It's really impressive that he made them himself. He thought music was of vital importance for the films, he welcomed that aspect of the talkies. He just didn't welcome the talk.
charliechaplinfan

catherine, thank you for describing Charlie Jnr's book. It's on my list of books to root out. I'd known he'd spoken highly of Paulette, I didn't know of his opinion of others.

Can you remember what he said about his mother. I've just read her book on her life with Charlie which was an interesting read, some passages just not fit to be described on this forum :oops: , the story is only from her point of view and Charlie was persuaded to do the right thing and wasn't the nicest husband. She only has nice things t osay of him in her later years about how supportive he was of her when she had problems with alcohol.

Charlie Jnr died before his father, I think his cause of death was alcoholism.

Michigan J I agree with you, it is unfair how much talent one person has. For years he couldn't put a foot wrong. Do the public at large have a habit of always turning on their favorites. It seems most people go out of fashion and are even disliked for a while either to be rewarded later on in life or celebrated after death.

I'm I getting more cynical as I get older? :roll:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

charliechaplinfan wrote: I'm I getting more cynical as I get older? :roll:
Welcome to the club.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

for a period Chaplin in the 70s and 80s was behind Keaton and Laurel And Hardy in popularity. this was unfair IMO Chaplin was a great inovator and was in the 20s far more successful that the talented Keaton. i agree with British comedy actor John Sessions that Chaplin was best and Stan and Ollie's humour was childlike. that doesn't mean LAG weren't great, but i laughed out loud watching them when i was about 6
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Popularity is not always connected with talent. Not being a great Chaplin fan (and being a fan of Stan, Ollie and Keaton) this is not as big a problem for me.

I agree that Chaplin was an enormous talent. Not many could write, direct, produce, compose scores and he probably helped on the set. However, I, at times, find his humor a bit contrived. At times he's a bit to choreographed for me but I on the whole I understand your point.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

movieman1957 wrote:
charliechaplinfan wrote: I'm I getting more cynical as I get older? :roll:
Welcome to the club.
Glad I'm not alone :D