Choose the Bestavorite (Non-Comedy) Silent of All Time!

MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

gagman

I, too, think that Two Arabian Knights is a comedy, or I’d put that on my list as well. (I also think The Garden of Eden and The Doll are comedies.) As Little Annie Rooney is my favorite Pickford film, I’m going to have to put that on my list, too. Just got to figure out where...
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Michigan3,

:o I have three different versions of LITTLE ANNIE ROONEY. A Tinted Blackhawk print With Bill Perry Piano score, which is very good. Also with Gaylord Carter score from the Image Laser-disc, and the Terra Entertainment DVD, which rips off the re-issue score from Griffith's WAY DOWN EAST. I am hoping for a nice new restoration. and definitive release of ROONEY from Milestone soon!

:) I'll probably have to substitute another title for THE GARDEN OF EDEN? Maybe King Vidor's THE CROWD, which slipped off the list? Or THE BLACK BIRD? Have you seen the latter?
Last edited by Gagman 66 on July 4th, 2008, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

I have the laserdisc of Little Annie Rooney and The Crowd (which is paired with The Wind). Never saw The Blackbird, but any Chaney/Browning film is certainly worthwhile. My favorite (of the ones I’ve seen, of course) in The Unknown. Can’t beat the implied gruesomeness and Chaney gives one of his best performances. Should be on my list. But then I need to cut something else....
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Michigan3,

:D THE BLACK BIRD is awesome! Chaney is a dual-role of sorts! As Bishop a Crippled Missionary, and His Brother the infamous Dan Tate, known as The Blackbird Plus ther's Owen Moore of the dastardly Bertie the Jem Thief and lovely Renee Adoree as "Fifi The Puppet Queen! This is easily Tod Browning's most underrated film! My version has a brand new score by Robert Israel recorded in 2005. The print is simply stunning! We should get on TCM to air this picture! Even better, this movie is pretty complete, where allot of THE UNKNOWN is missing.

:) I reviewed THE BLACK BIRD right here several months ago. Read my review and see what you think? If this sounds interesting to you, PM me! Don't forget I have THE COSSACKS too! Both of these are super hard to come by! THE COSSACKS nearly made my top 5, but I ended up dropping it a little. Although, I may move it back up again?
Last edited by Gagman 66 on July 4th, 2008, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Comparatively I've seen few Silents and it's always difficult to choose, but this is my list:

1.- Evangeline (1929)
2.- La Boheme (1926)
3.- Greed (1923)
4.- Sunrise (1927)
5.- The Lodger (1927)
6.- The Scarlet Letter (1926)
7.- The Docks of New York (1928)
8.- Mare Nostrum (1926)
9.- The Last Command (1928)
10.- Barbed Wire (1927)
11.- The Wedding March (1928)
12.- The Crowd (1928)
13.- Seventh Heaven (1927)
14.- The River (1929)
15.- The Show (1927)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Here I go

Can I replace The River for The Wind and Ben Hur for My Best Girl :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

ccfan,

You can go back to your previous post (your list) and edit it to make any changes that you like. Those changes can continue all the way up to the last day.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Well, here's my tentative list, but expect lots of changes before the final date.

1. Greed
2. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
3. Pandora's Box
4. Sunrise
5. Napoleon
6. Sparrows
7. The Passion of Joan of Arc
8. Metropolis
9. Nosferatu
10. The Last Command
11. The Thief of Bagdad
12. Les Vampires
13. The Docks of New York
14. The Wind
15. Cabiria

I thought about including Lang's Die Nibelungen, but wasn't sure if both parts together would count as one film. (It's probably just as well - I doubt that title would make it to the finals.)

-Stephen
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

The Crowd
The Big Parade
Sunrise
Greed
Napolean
The Wedding March
Scaramouche
Seventh Heaven
City Girl
Sir Arne's Treasure
Ben Hur
The Scarlet Letter
The Wind
Beau Geste
Lady Windermere's Fan
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Moraldo Rubini

Re: Choose the Bestavorite (Non-Comedy) Silent of All Time!

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

cinemalover wrote:It's time to get our next competition started. ... Everyone that wants to participate will contribute their list of top 15 (non-comedy) Silent films. Once all the lists have been compiled I will post the top 32 vote getters in one on one parings for you to vote on. That will continue until only one film remains and will be crowned the SSO Champion for 2008.

As always, you can choose to order your lists, or not. Films listed as a #1 carry more weight than a film listed #12. If the films are not numbered than all the choices on the list will be assigned a value of a #7. These numbers matter when the films are placed into seedings and sometimes help determine which ones make the cut to 32. You have until July 6th to submit your lists.
What? No one has chosen Rescued by Rover yet? Ah well. I envy those of you who've seen some of my Holy Grail flicks like The Crowd, The Big Parade and Napolean. One day...

Sunrise - Murnau
Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari - Wiene
Bronenosets Potyomkin ("Battleship Potemkin") - Eisenstein
Der Letzte Mann ("The Last Laugh") - Murnau
Greed - Stroheim
Die Büchse der Pandora ("Pandora's Box") - Pabst
Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ - Niblo
The Black Pirate - Parker
Sparrows - Beaudine
The Thief of Baghdad - Walsh
Metropolis - Lang
Laugh, Clown Laugh - Brenon
The Unholy Three - Browning
Flesh and the Devil - Brown
Le Voyage Dans la Lune - Méliès

Was Guy Maddin's Careful silent? I remember it so...[/i]
Last edited by Moraldo Rubini on July 3rd, 2008, 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vecchiolarry

Who's A Floozie??....

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Dear Marco,

I am in a quandry:
I noticed your signature saying just now and have hesitated to correct it.
The saying is partially correct - - "None of us floozies was that nuts!!"; and it was Mae Murray who stated that after the premier and not Marion Davies.

Knowing that you know so much more about the movies than me (you are far my superior) I hope you will forgive me for this affrontery. I bow down to you in every other aspect of Hollywoodize!!

Salame...

Larry
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Moraldo Rubini,

:o Please note, I left you a PM about a half hour ago. Basically to say that I have "The Holy Grail Titles" that you mentioned, and probably allot more that you didn' say anything about, but might have? Anyway, be on the lookout for the PM! Thanks.

Jeffrey
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Well, we've got 11 lists in already, that's fantastic! Keep 'em coming. This should be a fabulous competition!
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

cinemalover wrote:ccfan,

You can go back to your previous post (your list) and edit it to make any changes that you like. Those changes can continue all the way up to the last day.

Thanks,
Chris
Of course, I never thought of that :roll:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Thanks for mentioning "Rescued by Rover." That took me back to Dr. Getscher's class on film history.

What, nobody voted for "Uncle Josh Goes to the Movies"?