Choose the Bestavorite (Non-Comedy) Silent of All Time!

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

And the top 8 vote getters heading into our competition...

1. Sunrise 1927
2. The Big Parade 1925
3. The Crowd 1928
4. Passion of Joan of Arc 1928
5. Greed 1923
6. Napoleon 1923
7. Ben-Hur 1925
8. Pandora's Box 1929

Get ready because the voting starts tomorrow! These are the seedings going in to the polling but your votes will determine the ultimate winner. There will be 16 match-ups to vote on tomorrow!
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
drednm

Post by drednm »

I think only 5 of my 15 made the "finals"

SIGH
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

I was shocked that Nosferatu received so few votes. IMO, it's still the best vampire movie (though admittedly I'm not a big fan of vampire films - once you get past the requisite scene of any given vampire baring his fangs and biting a neck, it's all over).

-Stephen
drednm

Post by drednm »

I think only SUNRISE, THE BIRTH OF A NATION, INTOLERANCE, BEN HUR, THE BIG PARADE, and THE LAST COMMAND made it from my list....
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Nosferatu is a great film but we always have many great films that don't make the list. Too many films, not enough slots. I love 1922's Robin Hood and yet it didn't even appear on anyone else's list. Such is lide.
Chris

Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

cinemalover,

Do you plan on submiting the list to TCM? It could be helpful in getting some of the films not yet released by the major studios to DVD?

:o I am kind of disappointed that SEVENTH HEAVEN did not finish in the top eight. However, I am pleased that THE BIG PARADE made such a strong showing, despite not running on TCM since May of 2004, not to mention the lack of an official DVD release yet.

:? So many Silent film fans tell me the same thing. That they have never seen THE BIG PARADE or SEVENTH HEAVEN before. THese are usually high up on the list of the Silent's that they most want to see.
AS I said many times please go to the TCM Data base and vote for both of these films to be released on DVD! Be sure to request THE BIG PARADE to be re-broadcast as well while you are at it.

:roll: Another real Puzzler is the Howard Hughes Estate refusing consent to Flicker Alley to release the superb restorations that they worked on of TWO ARABIAN KNIGHTS, THE RACKET, and THE MATING CALL! These could have been out 3 or 4 years ago, if the Hughes people had given their blessing. All are wonderful films that they should be very proud of! Alol that need to be done is to press some DVD's, everything else was completed by the fall of 2004! Just plain goofy their sitting on these movies as they have in my estimation! Please vote for those films on the TCM Movie Data Base to be released too! Maybe we can still change their minds???
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

The polls are open!

Jump on down to the Best Silent Forum, there are 16 match-ups poted and ready for your vote!

Voice your choice!

Round one will conclude end of day Monday, July 14th.
Chris

Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

cinemalover,

:o Huh? Where is "The Best Silent's Forum"? How are we supposed to vote if we don't know where the voting is taking place? :roll:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Jeffrey, it is at the bottom of the index, where all the polls are. You can see the old polls, read the discussions, etc. AFTER you vote, you get to see the standings.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

We have a tie at the end of Round One. Please check in on the Best Silents Voting forum and help break the tie between The Thief of Bagdad and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari! All previous votes have been cast aside for a special one day vote to determine which of these fine films will survive to the next round.

VOTE NOW!
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

The Round Two polls are now open for your voting pleasure!
Chris

MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Chris,

First of all, thanks so much for taking your time to organize and run this contest! :D

Round one was tough, but not too bad. Round two, though...phew! Some tough choices there.

I'm gonna need to think on a couple of these contests. When do the polls close on this round?

--Kevin
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

I was glad to see that 8-9 of my choices made it to round 2. For all that, however, it was a bummer to see The Last Command eliminated so soon.

-Stephen
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Kevin,
Thank you. This round will go until Sunday night. If we don't have any ties or complications we could run two rounds next week which would leave us with the final two combatants.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Today is the last day to cast any votes in Round Two of the Silents competition. At least one of the match-ups is stuck in a dead heat tie and needs YOUR help!
Chris