Betty Balfour, the best of British

stuart.uk

Betty Balfour, the best of British

Post by stuart.uk »

I've never seen any of her films, but know Betty Balfour was Britain's most popular silent film star in the 20s.

She was one of Alfred Hitchcock's first leading ladies in the silent Champagne, was in Evergreen with Jessie Matthews and Forever England with a young John Mills. here's a link

screenonline: Balfour, Betty (1903-1978) Biography
Actor ... Actor. Betty Balfour (born in London on 27 March 1903) was the only international star of the British silent cinema, the most popular actress in Britain in the '20s and ...

www.screenonline.org.uk/people/id/571997/index.html · Cached page
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Strangely Stuart even though I love silents, I've never had the pleasure of viewing any of her work. I've seen very little British silents. I had to import from America one of the best known Hindle Wakes.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alison

I don't even know if any of Betty's silents have survived, even her one with Hitchcock, though I would think that'll still be around. However, she has a supporting role in Evergreen and her last major film appears to have been as John Mills leading lady in Forever England in 1935. It seems to be a case of one career coming to an end and the other starting out what became an all time great career.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

stuart.uk,

:o Yes, CHAMPAGNE (1927) still exists. I have never seen this one. It is one of two surviving Hitchcock Silent's that I do not have yet. The other one being THE PLEASURE GARDEN from 1925.