The Big Parade AMPAS 2005 Screening Add/Article

Gagman 66

The Big Parade AMPAS 2005 Screening Add/Article

Post by Gagman 66 »

:) Here is an Add for the March 2005 West Coast Debut of the brand New Restoration of King Vidor's THE BIG PARADE at the Goldwyn Theater in Hollywood. Honoring the films 80th Anniversary. (Yes, this is the version we are still waiting to debut on TCM!)

With live music by the 19-piece Robert Israel Orchestra,
from the original film score.
Friday, March 18 at 8 p.m. in the Academy's
Samuel Goldwyn Theater
King Vidor received five Academy Award nominations for directing between 1927 and 1956. He was the recipient of an Honorary Award in 1978 for "his incomparable achievements as a cinematic creator and innovator." The Big Parade", made two years before the founding of the Academy, certainly must be counted among those "incomparable achievements."

One of the first pictures to go into production after the formation of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in 1924, this moving WWI story was MGM's largest grossing film until the release of "Gone with the Wind" fourteen years later.

Following a serious vault fire at the studio in the 1960s, MGM's Film Library records listed the negative for this film as "destroyed." Miraculously, however, the negative had survived, and was rediscovered recently by visiting film scholar Kevin Brownlow at the George Eastman House in Rochester, New York, where all the studio's nitrate negatives were relocated following the fire.

Richard May of Warner Bros. was able to use this 80-year-old negative for the restoration, incorporating modern technical capabilities to recreate the original color tinting used at the time of the film's release. Presented with a live orchestral performance of the original score, this screening promises to be an "incomparable" experience.

Starring: John Gilbert, Renée Adorée, Hobart Bosworth, Claire McDowell, Claire Adams, Robert Ober, Tom O'Brien, Karl Dane, Rosita Marstini. Directed by King Vidor. Story by Laurence Stallings. Screenplay by Harry Behn. Titles by Joseph Farnham. Cinematography by John Arnold. Art Direction by James Basevi, Cedric Gibbons. Film Editing by Hugh Wynn. Original Music by William Axt, David Mendoza. Costume Design by Ethel P. Chaffin. M-G-M, 1925. Running Time: 149 minutes. 35mm. Print courtesy of Warner Bros.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Perhaps we are inching closer to a release of The Big Parade :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Alison,

:o Well, that's what we all thought back in 2005. A DVD release was originally announced for late fall of that year. I talked to TCM programmer "Charles Tabesh" about it just last week, and He is quite anxious to broadcast the new version as soon as it is ready, since seeing it at a live screening in 2007. I am getting very tired of waiting!

:roll: The previous version of THE BIG PARADE was as you know released on both MGM VHS, and Laser-disc years ago. Though it was never released on DVD. Basically, The film has been stuck in "Limbo" on TCM since Memorial Day of 2004. The last time any version of the film was shown.

:? The new restoration was completed the same year, but Warner's neglected to record the original 1925 Axt-Mendoza score in 2005, when Robert Israel and His Orchestra of 19 players were touring the country with it. At any and all cost they simply have to keep the original score. Rarely does an entire release score on paper survive from the 1920's, but this one does. The Carl davis score from the 80's was largely derived from the Axt-Mendoza original, for people who are used to that version, most of the same themes will remain.

:) The new version is rougly 20 minutes longer, than the old one was, with newly re-discovered footage. All the original tint's have been re-instated. The miraculously uncovered original camera negative, was used as the basis for the restoration, So the improvement over the previous version in terms of sharpness figures to be dramatic. My friend Jack Theakston was present for two live screening' of the film in 2005, and He couldn't stop raving, about how sharp, and clean the print of the new master is.

:D TCM programmer has told me last week, He has been waiting to be able to run the new version himself, after seeing it at a festival last year. In the meantime, they have decided not to air the previous Kevin Brownlow-David Gill restoration with the Carl Davis score produced for Thames Television in 1983. TCM used to run it fairly frequently up until 2004.

:cry: TCM programmer said that He could run the shorter version, but is holding out for the new one, which is expected to have a big Prime-time Premier once it finally ready to go. Trouble is I have been waiting now for over three years, and I am getting very impatient with Warner's! I know droves of new Silent film fan's who have never seen THE BIG PARADE, and all of them are equally frustrated!

:( I sure hope that a DVD release will also include the Thames version all re-mastered though too. As FLESH AND THE DEVIL was in the Garbo Silent's set a few years ago. The DVD is not really the issue to me. I just want to see the brand new restoration Warner's havs been sitting on for Four years now finally broadcast on TCM!!!

Incidentally, did you ever watch THE COSSACKS?
Last edited by Gagman 66 on July 21st, 2008, 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
feaito

Post by feaito »

This one's a must-see and a long awaited event Jeff. Thanks for posting it. I'm ashamed to admit that I have this film on DVD since last year and haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I hope TCM USA will air it soon!
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Fernando,

:o I hope that you have a good copy? There are some minor glare issues at times, with the older Thames print. If the recording isn't a very good one, this becomes all the more noticable at times.

Hope that you get to watch it very soon. I will be witing to hear your comments.

Jeffrey
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

I didn't realize the restored print had 20 minutes of extra footage. That's tremendous news. Hopefully Warner's gets around to releasing it along with all the other Vidor, Sjostrom, Von Stroheim etc etc etc silents.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Justin,

:( I sure hope this guy "Edgecliff" on the TCM forum has no idea what He is talking about? Because if what He say's is so, Warner Home Video has been giving the same standard form answer concering THE BIG PARADE on DVD since 2003! namely...

"Oh, that need's to be restored"!

:cry: Not so! As we have seen here the film is fully restored, and has been for the past four years! If these are in-fact recent comment's, than the guy who head's Warner's Home Video department seems to just be using them as a convinient excuse whenever He is asked about the movie for the past 5 years? Pushed back year after year, I don't know if there are currently any plans for this project at all???

Quote from TCM forum Memember "Edgecliff" yesterday:

And add RAINTREE COUNTY, LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, JOHN GARFIELD COLLECTION, IDA LUPINO COLLECTION, SHOWBOAT BOX SET!!! All were supposed to come out this year. Hopefully before years end. I heard George Feltenstein say on a radio interview that those King Vidor films including THE BIG PARADE and SHOW PEOPLE need some major restoration and that is why the hold up and we probably won't see them released this year. Maybe 2009 or 2010? But hopefully not.
:evil: