Monte-Cristo (1928) Henri Fescourt

Ann Harding

Monte-Cristo (1928) Henri Fescourt

Post by Ann Harding »

ImageImage
ImageImage

This splendid adaptation of Alexandre Dumas' novel was shot on locations in the South of France, particularly Marseille. This is such a change from numerous other film versions which were studio bound! The film is in two parts: (125 min + 90 min). Yesterday Arte showed part 1. I was happy to see it again as I didn't record it during its last broadcast a few years back.

Edmond Dantès (Jean Angelo) is second in command on board the ship 'Le Pharaon'. He had to replace the captain when he died on board. Everything looks bright for his future: his boss likes him and he is going to marry Mercédès (Lil Dagover). But, he has several enemies, unknown to him: Fernand (Gaston Modot) loves Mercédès and Caderousse is jealous of his promotion. Fernand dispaches an anonymous letter to the local prosecutor accusing Dantès of being a 'bonapartist'. He is arrested and ends up in the horrible jails of 'le Château d'If', a fortress-island in Marseille's harbour....

I suppose most of you are familiar with the story as it has been made into film countless times. This version is particularly faithful to the original. The locations and cinematography, as you can see above, are just stunning. The actors are all excellent: can't wait for the second part next week!!!! 8)

As an aside, I visited recently, le Château de Monte-Cristo in Port-Marly (20 km west of Paris). This is a small castle that Dumas built in 1846. It costed an enormous amount of money and in 1849, he had to sell it due to debts...Nowadays, it's a very nice museum dedicated to Dumas. Certainly worth a visit.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

That is a gorgeous house. He had taste.

I've never watched a film version of the Count of Montecristo. I'm probably the only one.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'm a fan of the story and the best film adaptations I've seen are those in which Robert Donat and Richard Chamberlain starred.

Having seen the French adaptation of "Les Miserables" (1933) by Raymond Bernard, I'd love to see this vintage 1928 film version.

Why aren't the excellent -I've read they are indeed superb- 1970s French TV miniseries of "Les Rois Maudits" available with at least English subtitles???

The 2005 miniseries aren't available with subtitles either and I've read lackluster reviews of it, in spite of the good cast; i.e. Jeanne Moreau, who plays my favorite character, the indomitable Mahaut D'Artois.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

ImageImage
I have now watched part 2 of Monte-Cristo. The print is just as gorgeous. Reading through the credits, I saw the film was reconstituted with prints from GosFilm Moscow, German Film Museum, French Film Archive and a print from a private collector. The overall quality is excellent and you cannot see any visible variation. Some scenes are tinted as you can see above.

Edmond Dantès managed to escape from the prison-fortress where he was kept. He finds, following the indications given to him by the Abbé Farria, a fellow prisoner, an incredible treasure that makes him fabulously rich. He comes back to France under an assumed name: Count of Monte-Cristo. He has decided to seek revenge on those who sent him to prison. He prepares a machiavelian plan....

After the outdoors of the first part, we are now spending more time in studios. But, the sets are incredible: gigantic and luxurious with even a recreation of the Paris opera. Dantès prepares meticulously his revenge as his two enemies are now prominent personalities in Paris. Both have earned their position thanks to some criminal activities. I found the narrative really gripping in this second part with some interesting tracking shots in the Opera sequence. Really, I am glad I had the opportunity to see the film again as I didn't get it all when I saw it for the first time. 8)
feaito

Post by feaito »

I saw this brilliant film yesterday. Thanks Christine!

It is by far the best version of the Dumas' story I have ever seen; in fact there are many characters, details and situations not present in any other of the many films that exist on the subject matter-also due to its length (almost 4 hours).

The print is superb, the differently tinted scenes are a joy to watch; the varied sets, costumes and outdoor scenes are an added plus; This must have been a mighty expensive picture to make!

The great performances by Jean Angelo, Gaston Modot, Marie Glory, Lil Dagover and by all the cast are pivotal to its success. Jean Angelo and Lil Dagover are both fantastic in the leading roles; and Dagover, especially in the second part of the film, resembled a lot Barbara La Marr. Marie Glory was such a radiant beauty and glowed in the role of Valentine de Villefort. Jean Toulot and Gaston Modot are brilliant as the two main villains of the story: De Villefort and Mondego. Henri Debain is also excellent as Carderousse and Bernhard Goetzke is so very touching as the doomed Abbé Faria. Germaine Kerjean is truly scary as Carderousse's wife; reminiscent of Madame de Thenardier in "Les Misérables" (1934)

A rediscovered masterpiece of French Cinema.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

So glad you enjoyed it Fernando! :D I was lucky anough to see Fescourt's Les Misérables (in 4 parts lasting 7h). It's an equally marvellous picture. Let's hope it will make it on DVD. :wink:
feaito

Post by feaito »

Ann Harding wrote:So glad you enjoyed it Fernando! :D I was lucky anough to see Fescourt's Les Misérables (in 4 parts lasting 7h). It's an equally marvellous picture. Let's hope it will make it on DVD. :wink:
Let's Hope!! :D
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Fernando,

:) Christine sent me a copy of this movie several months ago too. Thank You. I have yet to watch it. Maybe one of these days I will find some time. Sounds like a really impressive production.