Which actress combined the silents and talkies best

stuart.uk

Which actress combined the silents and talkies best

Post by stuart.uk »

I would probably say Lillian Gish, who was a major star of the silent era from 1915 through to the begining of sound. IMO if she hadn't had a 10-yr-lay of from movies she would now be regarded as the screens greatest actress. However, her films from the 1946 Duel In The Sun onwards showed her to be a great character actress. I just wish she could have played a couple of lead roles in the post war yrs

Greta Garbo and Norma Shearer were silent stars, whose careers continued to shine brightly right through the 30s. However, Garbo made her last film in 1939 and Shearer 1942, when both were still young. In Garbo's case I'm not sure, because like a lot of people, I thought it was her idea to retire. However, There is another view that it was MGM, who thought she was, possibly because she was Swedish, losing her star appeal. That doesn't make sense to me, because in the same yr Garbo made her last film, Hollywood saw the arrival of Ingrid Bergman.

Joan Crawford too was a silent movie star, but I don't think she was as big as the other three mentioned at that point of her career. However, unlike Garbo and Shearer, Crawford did have a lengthy, successful, career in sound.

Jean Arthur too made silent movies, but only became really known for her talkies.
drednm

Post by drednm »

Along with those you mention, I would add Marie Dressler, star of the first feature-length comedy TILLIE'S PUNCTURED ROMANCE. She was popular for a while and then came back in the late 20s in silent films and transitioned to talkies, becoming one of the biggest box office stars until her death. She won an Oscar for MIN AND BILL.

Many other silent stars had some success in talkies: Carole Lombard, Myrna Loy, Clara Bow, Marion Davies, Bebe Daniels, Gloria Swanson, Bessie Love, Dolores Del Rio, Dorothy Mackaill, Marlene Dietrich, Janet Gaynor, and Jean Harlow.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Garbo to me is the star I associate most with a successful silent and talkie career.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Garbo comes to mind as the most widely known, and I think her success in the switch to talkies is especially interesting considering her accent.

I think the two who were the best at it were Harlow and Lombard, both cut short in the prime of their lives. Who knows how much more they could have done?

Oh, and don't foget Alice Brady, character acress extraordinaire and lovely lady, indeed.
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

I'll throw in Fay Wray. She made around 32 silents and 83 talkies (including films and television appearances). She was well established as a young, rising star in the silent era and obviously made an easy transition to talkies.

I wish the two silents she did with Gary Cooper were still around b/c they look like beautiful films; especially Legion of the Condemned.

“I never really thought of myself as an actor. But I’d learned to ride on my dad’s ranch and I could do some roping stunts and working as an extra was better than starving as an artist nobody wanted on the West Coast.” - Gary Cooper
drednm

Post by drednm »

and Betty Compson
moviemagz

Post by moviemagz »

I would say Janet Gaynor, Greta Garbo, and Norma Shearer probably were the major silent actresses who best transitioned into sound films and not only kept their stardom but elevated it. Then there's also Joan Crawford, Dolores Del Rio, and Constance Bennett but I am not sure they would have been considered major stars of the silent era since their careers were just beginning to kick off in the last silent years.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Marion Davies was quite a success in her talkies, I think she was a bigger success than she thought she'd be owing to her stutter.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin