Bardelys The Magnificent on French TV next Sunday

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It looks exceedingly tempting :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I have now watched the whole film. First of all, there is very little footage missing: less than 5 min out of 90 min. And it's very well covered by multiple stills. The quality of the print is very good considering the film has not been kept under the best conditions: it was found in a cellar! :shock:

The story takes place in XVIIth century France under the reign of Louis XIII. If you're not familiar, this is the time of the Musketeers. The Marquis de Bardelys (John Gilbert) is a serial womanizer and the all the women at court compete for his favours. One day, he decides to wager against the nasty Chatellerault (Roy d'Arcy) that he can win the heart and the hand of Roxalanne de Lavedan (Eleanor Boardman) or lose all his properties. This lady is renown for her virtue and chastity. On his way to her castle, he meets a rebel against the King who dies in his arm. From that moment, he will be mistaken for that man and thus be rescued by Roxalanne's parents who are themselves against the King....

The film has been made by King Vidor between La Bohème and The Crowd. This is actually hard to believe that such a great artist like Vidor could make such a tepid film. This is a costume drama with a little bit of swashbuckling rather than a swashbuckler per se. Some of it comes out as spoof-Fairbanks and I just wished there was more of that! That's for the disappointment! Among all the silent Vidors I have seen (Wine of Youth, Wild Oranges, Proud Flesh, The big Parade, La Bohème, The Crowd, The Patsy, Show People) it's certainly the weakest as the characters have very little depth. That said, there are two scenes in this film that makes it rise above the average: the very sensual boat scene where Boardman & Gilbert are kissing while long willow branches caresses them. Watching it one can understand why Vidor raves about it in his memoirs, A Tree is a Tree. And it's a scene he reused in several of his later pictures: in Cynara (1932) and Solomon and Sheba (1958). The other interesting scene is an escape from the scaffold where Gilbert performs (or probably his double!) various stunts right out of a Fairbanks picture: pole vaulting with a halberd or jumping with a piece of cloth like a parachute! :shock: The character actors are quite good: Karl Dane is unfortunately extremely underused and George K. Arthur is a hoot as a foppish courtier. In terms of production value, the costumes were supervised & designed by Robert Florey giving them a good level of accuracy. The cinematography is by that master of soft-focus Wm H. Daniels. So overall, I would say the film looks more like a star vehicle for Gilbert than a great Vidor. But still enjoyable! :wink:

George K. Arthur
ImageImage
John Gilbert & Eleanor Boardman
ImageImage
Stunts!

I forgot to mention the piano score by Antonio Coppola (not related with Francis F.): it's nice and lighthearted.
Last edited by Ann Harding on October 14th, 2008, 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Great review and stills from the film. Thanks for sharing Christine. :D
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Christine,

Wow! The stills just look fabulous! Ed will freak! I am still anxious to see this one, especially after just viewing MAN, WOMAN & SIN last night, which is a real scorcher!

Gilbert is clearly the Star, but Gladys Brockwell in an older part as the Mother, and Jeanne Eagels as the Very Bad Girl, pretty much steal the movie! Although, Jeanne's character is somewhat under-developed. Though part of that might be due to some missing footage? I'm not sure? Anyway TCM really needs to resurect this one!
drednm

Post by drednm »

THANK YOU, CHRISTINE.... good review and great stills....

Looking forward to seeing this..... The US release through Flicker Alley still claims this will be a 2-disk set but they will give no info on what else will be included.... whether it will be a John Gilbert set or a King Vidor set....
bdp

Post by bdp »

"We expect to release BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT on DVD through Flicker Alley next year, thanks to Warner Bros. and Sony who have both given the necessary permissions. It's no masterpiece, but it is a first-class Hollywood marshmallow, and lavishly produced. It is also a rather short film (especially with reel 3 missing; the gap has been patched with stills and some of the missing titles, taken from the cutting continuity) so my present thinking is to put it out as a double-header with John Gilbert in MONTE CRISTO, which has also been unavailable for many years."

David Shepard as quoted from another message board
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Kyle,

I would rather have MAN, WOMAN, & SIN, or THE COSSACKS. And Apparently 12 MILES OUT is not as most people believe, "A Lost film". It was screened in LA last year. I know little about MONTE CRISTO (1922), other than it is a Fox Feature with Estelle Taylor. So where did the print of this picture come from?

Any updates on THE BIG PARADE yet? TCM's Charles Tabesh told me in July that this was almost certainly coming to DVD next year for MGM's 85th Anniversary? Have they recorded a score yet, and is it the original Axt-Mendoza one reprised by Robert Israel and His Orchestra as many of us hoped that it would be? I can't bare to see THE BIG PARADE desecrated with some inferior new score. Especially, when the original is available in-tact. There was talk the Carl Davis scored Thames version would also be included re-mastered.
Last edited by Gagman 66 on October 14th, 2008, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drednm

Post by drednm »

Weird... Derek Haugen at Flicker Alley said he had NO info on what the 2-disk set would include.... and that was like a month ago.... They wouldn't NEED 2 disk for two short films.... and why MONTE CRISTO? I agree with Jeff that THE BIG PARADE would be the logical choice but I'm sure legal issues prevent it..... Also THE MERRY WIDOW or 12 MILES OUT would be great... and again CAMEO KIRBY exists with Spanish or Portuguese titles....
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Ed,

:o I am pretty sure Warner's will put out THE BIG PARADE, not Flicker Alley. But some of these others are probably fair game, and are less likely outside of an improbable John Gilbert box set to see a DVD release from Warner Home Video. Though Flicker Alley might be another story. Not just with Gilbert, but allot of MGM and even Warner's, and perhaps in particular First National Silents.

:? First time anyone has mentioned THE MERRY WIDOW, they probably wouldn't release that movie with the current Wurlitzer score. LA BOHEME could use a Fresh Transfer, and a new score both.

Another film I really want to see on DVD, if as expected, they are putting out a package of titles for MGM's 85th Anniversary is Ernst Lubitsch OLD HEIDELBERG,, or THE STUDENT PRINCE. If that's what you perfer. Hopefully all re-mastered, tough retaining the unsurpassable Carl Davis score.
Last edited by Gagman 66 on October 14th, 2008, 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drednm

Post by drednm »

Jeff as I've mentioned before... even Kevin Brownlow couldn't figure why Flicker Alley was doing a 2-disk set....
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Ed,

:o One of the reasons BARDELYS is being released by Flicker Alley is the organizations who worked on the restoration. David Shepard's Film Preservation Associates, and Lobster Films of Paris. Neither who have done much if any restoration projects for Warner's in the past. It sounds as if the very same folks have also restored MONTE CRISTO?

:roll: What I mean is, that it's doubtful that we would get a 2 disc set featuring another film that was not restored by the same people as BARDLEYS had been. They just wouldn't mix them up like that.
Last edited by Gagman 66 on October 14th, 2008, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drednm

Post by drednm »

MONTE CRISTO is a mystery to me ... I never really heard of it and am surprised it survives....
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Ed,

:? As I said, MONTE CRISTO appears to be another recently discovered Lost film. Few of the Gilbert's Fox titles, for that matter few of anyone's Fox Silent's have not been lost. Probably less than 10% of the Silent's produced by the company remain today.

:roll: Most Fox titles were lost in a 1937 studio vault-fire the Negatives, and Fine-Grain Master positives were both stored in the same place. A few like LUCKY STAR in 1991, have since been found elsewhere. I wonder what other discoveres could be flying under the radar?
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

I would also love to see a DVD version of The Big Parade, and I hold on to the belief that such a classic can't be ignored forever. The same with Wings.

At any rate, two entertaining costume dramas from the silent era doesn't seem like such a bad package.

Christine, thanks for the review! Your judgement doesn't seem so surprising to me. From the title I would have guessed that it was something like that, although then of course I didn't take into account that King Vidor directed it. Is the boat scene the one that was shown in Show People?

Great stills, by the way!
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Synnove wrote:Is the boat scene the one that was shown in Show People?
Yes it is! :D Here is a glimpse: