A KISS FOR CINDERELLA (1925)

Gagman 66

A KISS FOR CINDERELLA (1925)

Post by Gagman 66 »

:) Last night, thanks to Angie, I finally got to see another one of my long time Most wanted Silents. Herbert Brennon's A KISS FOR CINDERELLA (Paramount, 1925), with Betty Bronson, Tom Moore, and Esther Ralston. Renowned film historian, William K. Everson has described this picture as one of the great films of the Silent Era.

:oops: I must say Miss Bronson made a sharp leap up my list of great Silent Screen Beauties. In-fact, I am tempted to bump either Camilla Horn, or Vilma Banky from my Top 10, and replace them with Betty after seeing this picture.

:wink: Ralston was already on my list, and as the Fairy-Godmother, served to re-enforce her number 8 ranking. This may have been the first time I have seen Tom Moore? He looked allot like Lon Chaney's younger brother, and even acted like him.

:D The print was much better than I expected. I will need to add a score sometime, as this DVD-R contained no music. I had heard that this film was in dismal shape, but I was pleasantly surprised in that only about a half a reel had any serious nitrate damage. The print overall was quite good. What a lovely enchanting film. It would be wonderful to see this movie restored, and put out on DVD like PETER PAN (1924) has previously been.

:o The story takes place not in Medieval Europe, but rather in England during the First World War. When we first see Bronson, she is quite frumpy, but my goodness does that change. Betty was a tiny, tiny thing, but a staggeringly beautiful woman. I had really only seen her in PETER PAN, and not much else. Relatively hard to believe that it is even the same person.

:shock: In PETER PAN I thought Mary Brian had been the most beautiful, even over Esther Ralston, and Anna May Wong. Of course it was pretty hard to get a read on Betty Bronson. The photo's I have found of her looked quite remarkable though.

Tom Moore is Dan a hired Police-officer/Detective determined to discover if the abandoned Cinderella is actually a lady of culture and breeding, or just another drudge? Indeed perhaps worse? A German Spy! For She speaks the sworn Enemies language fluently!

:lol: When she swipes a sign from her former employer, He is also hell bent to catch her with the goods. In a hilarious scene, the clean shaven Moore enters into the shelter disguised as the spitting image of Rasputin The Mad Monk! He asks for a shave! Cinderella is more than moderately intimidated! Before long though, Dan is totally Smitten with his suspect, and quickly forgets his duty, as amazing. and unexpected facts swiftly come to light.

:wink: Winsome Cinderella goes from Scullery-maid to a fix whatever ails you Penny store matron. She takes in stray Orphan's like most folks do washing, Each with a unique hair-cut, one looks like a baby Colleen Moore! She has to big a heart for her own good, or pocketbook.

:cry: The Poor girl is all about Sacrifice, but she holds on to a fervent hope that her day will indeed come. Or at least Her night anyway. She will finally snare her Prince at the royal ball. One glance at her dainty little feet, is all it will take to win his unsuspecting heart!

:D The Prince's Ball is an amazing, delightful sequence, and lo suitor's', that don't know the answer to the sacred riddle are executed immediately! The King also places a premium on body temperature, specifically to high. This had me rolling! But the film is not strictly a comedy, and there are some good dramatic touches. Brenon's is still another big name director of the Silent era that is virtually unknown today. Though He made some very fine and acclaimed films.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:( I am fairly disappointed that apparently no one has read this review, or commeneted on it so far???
drednm

Post by drednm »

I read it Jeff, but as I told you via email I've never seen this one.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

It's one of those films that languished in an archive for many years before it was rediscovered, isn't it? So it survived, but its condition had deteriorated. I haven't seen it either, Jeff, but I was intrigued by it when I read William K. Everson's thoughts on it in his book American Silent Film. He was saddened by that it hadn't been more well preserved in time, because he thought a lot of its visual beauty was lost.

So, it's heartening for me to read that it apparently isn't as bad as all that. :D

Thanks for the review, Jeff!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I haven't been online for a couple of days, I definetly would have commented. I've read Everson's words and this was high on my list of films to see :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:o Thanks for the comments. Again, I only noticed about a half a reel with extensive Nitrate Damage. I was expecting far worse. I think this film could be restored without much trouble. I don't think it would cost a foutune either.

:? I'm going to post a photo of Betty Bronson here that I worked on several months ago. It is probably to large again, but I have not figured out how to Shrink graphics yet. I experimented with it some last weekend, but it did not seem to be working? Maybe I am doing something wrong? If the moderators need to Shrink the image feel free to go ahead and do so.

Betty Bronson, Fresh As A Daisy!
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

I’ve been busy at work the past couple weeks and at home so I haven’t had much time for posting. I’m glad you liked the movie. I thought it was a very unique telling of the story which is my favorite fairy tale. Of course, I’m glad people usually clean it up for films b/c the original has some rather gory parts, as many of the old fairy tales do.

I thought it was very clever how they had the children’s little bunks set up attached to the walls. It was sweet how she put barbed wire around the one for the German girl b/c it made her feel safer, of course she used a type that couldn’t really hurt her as she explained to the officer who turns out to be her Prince Charming. It was cute too how she was convinced that men wanted women with small feet and that once the real Prince saw her tiny feet, he would fall in love with her. I also have small feet and maybe one day they’ll help me nab my prince :wink: .

I can imagine this film was very visually stunning when it was new and like Jeff said, only parts near the end were damaged and not to the point that you can’t watch it. Even with no music, I still really enjoyed it which just goes to show good truly entertaining these old films can be.
“I never really thought of myself as an actor. But I’d learned to ride on my dad’s ranch and I could do some roping stunts and working as an extra was better than starving as an artist nobody wanted on the West Coast.” - Gary Cooper
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Thanks for the review, coopsgirl! According to William K. Everson it's one of the great forgotten classics.

Jeff, that picture is gorgeous. She had a great deal of charm, didn't she?
drednm

Post by drednm »

this is the film Anita Page made her debut in..... at age 15