John Gilbert's Sound Career on TCM

moira finnie
Administrator

John Gilbert's Sound Career on TCM

Post by moira finnie »

On Tues., Dec. 2 at 3PM ET, one of the rarely seen talkies of John Gilbert's career will be broadcast on TCM. While it would be a few years before the great silent star's career finally collapsed along with his health, I am curious about this movie, since it is directed by a young Mervyn LeRoy, some of whose early talkies, such as Five Star Final, High Pressure, and Heat Lightning have a raw energy and underlying realism that make them occasionally electrifying and--at moments--vastly entertaining and instructive.

I'm not sure if Gentleman's Fate is a particularly good movie since a quick check around the internet indicates that it has received, at best, mixed reviews.

It also features a great character actor, Louis Wolheim's next to last performance on film before his relatively early death (at 51) from cancer, playing--believe it or not--Gilbert's brother. Other notable actors in the cast trying to make the transition into talkies include Leila Hyams, Marie Prevost and Anita Page.

Earlier this year, the generosity of Dewey allowed me to see John Gilbert in the fine early talkie about the servant class in Weimar Germany, Downstairs (1932) (which he wrote as well as starred in during his last years at MGM & which is being broadcast on TCM on Jan. 15th, 2009 at 7:15AM ET). Downstairs is a wonderfully observant story, capturing the the way that human beings live with class tensions, the identification of servants with their master's values, and the pesky way that sexuality can trip up anyone at one time or another. Gilbert, for once in the sound era, seems to be having a grand time as a bounder who is the kind of servant that Dirk Bogarde would bring to life in another breakthrough performance in the '60s in The Servant. In that time, for a generation primed to accept the corruption of a character while relishing it, Bogarde won acting kudos galore, but in Gilbert's day his bravura performance does not appear to have helped check his decline, alas. To be honest, looking back, Downstairs seems to be the more adult of the two once scandalous films, (and more entertaining, as chauffeur Gilbert sidles up to anyone in a skirt or any male in a position to help him). Housemaid (and one of Gilbert's wives off-screen) Virginia Bruce gives an excellent performance as an innocent bride who learns a great deal about her starchy husband (Paul Lukas) and her own needs and wants through her acquaintance with Gilbert.
Gilbert with Virginia Bruce & Olga Baclanova in "Downstairs".

I'd also seen the knockabout working class comic drama Fast Workers (1931) with Gilbert on TCM in the past and hope that it will be broadcast again. In this film, he plays the kind of role Jimmy Cagney might have been cast in at Warners in the same period. Gilbert appears opposite Robert Armstrong, though in the Cagney film, the character would undoubtedly have been played by Frank McHugh. Gilbert and Armstrong play iron workers with Gilbert as the cynical manipulator of women and Armstrong as a naive fool who is constantly being taken advantage of during their extra-cirricular adventures. Mae Clarke gives a good performance as a woman who treads lightly on the borderline between con artist and good time gal in this film. I'm sure that L. B. Mayer loathed these movies as much as he did their star, but they are prime examples of a cheerful cynicism that kept audience spirits afloat in the early '30s.

Both of these films confirmed for me that the man was a much better actor than he appeared to be in Queen Christina (1933), a film that rightfully belongs to Garbo, but that also shows Gilbert at his most awkward and old-fashioned by contrast.

If you've seen this movie or would like to voice an opinion about John Gilbert's later career, it would be a pleasure to read them. Thanks.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

I like Fast Workers quite a bit, and have read great things about Downstairs, so I'll try and catch that one.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
drednm

Post by drednm »

Of the ten existing Gilbert talkies (I've seen 9), GENTLEMAN'S FATE is probably the weakest. Although Gilbert is solid, the story is a stretch as is the casting of Louis Wolheim. Still it's worth a look to see Gilbert along with Anita Page, Leila Hyams, and Marie Prevost.

I watched Gilbert tonight in MAN, WOMAN & SIN, an odd but engrossing story about a poor man who works his way up in the newspaper business only to be caught in the snare of a trampy woman (Jeanne Eagels). Gilbert is terrific as is Gladys Brockwell who plays his mother (she was 5 years older than Gilbert).
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Ed,

:o Again, the rushed ending of MAN, WOMAN & SIN was literally pieced togther from very rough outakes, which was disappointing. Jeanne Eagels was gone, having been released from her MGM contract at the urging of Director Monta Bell. But they had already shot to much film to start the project over with someone else as Gilbert's leading lady.

:? In truth after the careful build-up, the second half of this movie was never actually produced. I personally thought that it was coming along quite well. It would have been interesting to see the film completed. This is not a bad print at all. But it almost looks like the recording is from a copy-protected tape? Maybe that guy in Britain has a better recording?
drednm

Post by drednm »

The ending does seem rushed but then after the trial the Eagels character really has little to do as the dramatic emphasis shifts back to the mother. Still an interesting film... and another film in which John Gilbert does NOT play a "great lover," a tag that really hurt his career (along with a few other things).

Other than the films with Garbo, I can't think of Gilbert as "great lover," since he was essentially just an actor who tried a little of everything as this film shows. I assume there is no other version of the film.

From IMDb: Eagels' behavior during the filming of Man, Woman and Sin (1927) was atrocious. Gilbert, whom she reportedly had an affair with, said Eagels was the most temperamental actress he had ever worked with. She would appear late at the studio, and once, she disappeared for several days. The Hollywood trade press credited Eagels disappearance to a drink binge, and at one point, she took off on a two-week vacation to Santa Barbara without informing her director, Monta Bell. Bell asked studio management to terminate Eagels' contract, which they did. Fortunately, there was enough footage so Bell could salvage the film without re-shooting.

John Gilbert said of Eagels, "She seemed to hate the movies for a popularity they could not give her....[The] blind, unreasoning adulation of the movie fans was a type of popularity she spurned. Fundamentally, Jeanne was much superior to us. Movie actors are crazy to be worshiped. Jeanne Eagels wanted to be understood and appreciated."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I think one of the best silents I've seen with Gilbert was The Show, I really enjoyed that film and it wasn't the kind of vehicle I expected to find John Gilbert in.

I have been lucky enough to see some John Gilbert films that have been shown on TCM. Of these my favorite was Downstairs and he wrote it too. He shows real depth as an actor in this film, his character is Machievellian but still he's a loveable rogue. It's such a pity his career didn't last.

I enjoyed Fastworkers too. It's very gritty, one of my memories of that film was how fit he looked, very slim and in good condition. It's criminal that no one could stop the decline he went into.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
drednm

Post by drednm »

DOWNSTAIRS is a gem... I also liked FAST WORKERS and even the maligned WAY FOR A SAILOR because they all show John Gilbert "the actor" and not the vapid "great lover." Gilbert, by the way, despised that label.
charliechaplinfan

Reading between the lines about Gilbert, he's far from the great lover in private. He would have been happier being a writer, perhaps he would have settled into a career of writing or directing. Part of him seems like a little boy, with all the money his fame granted him, he just couldn't help spending and carousing.

Very soon I'll get around to reading his daughter's book about him :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

It's a very good book Alison. Very sympathetic, but she doesn't hide his flaws either. Her mother, Leatrice Joy, loved him until the day she died, but it was very bittersweet. He would have done well to stay with her. She was a far more grounded person that he was. And at the time they were married, she was the better known of the two.

Two of their grandsons, John Fountain and Gideon Fountain, are actors.

Their great-grandson is David Prior, an actor, screenwriter, and a DVD producer.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
drednm

Post by drednm »

About Leatrice Joy..... there's a scene in Kevin Brownlow's terrific 13-part TV series called HOLLYWOOD in which Miss Joy at about age 75 or 80 is asked about John Gilbert. She looks into the camera and says something like, "Should I answer with my mind or my heart?" and starts to cry. Like 50 years after the fact and you still knew....

The Gilbert biography is superb.... one of the best biographies of any of the silent stars.
drednm

Post by drednm »

also.... I recently saw a Leatrice Joy silent comedy called EVE'S LEAVES and she was terrific.....
charliechaplinfan

It says an awful lot about both people that Leatrice loved him until the end of her days. I've seen that episode that you mention, it's very moving.

It reminded me too of the book I've just read which was by Georgia Hale. She loved Charlie Chaplin to the end of her days, despite some terrible behaviour on his part, the fact that he married wifes number 3 and 4 instead of her. It was a good read but I couldn't help wising she'd found happiness with someone who did really love her.
Gagman 66

The Cossacks (1928) in New York at MOMA Tomorrow!!!

Post by Gagman 66 »

Alison, Everyone,

:D John Gilbert's THE COSSACKS (MGM, 1928) with Renee Adoree, Ernest Torrence, and Nils Asther one of my favorite Silent films is in New York tomorrow afternoon at the Museum Of Modern Art! I sure wish I had known about this sooner! Maybe Warner's is finally getting ready to do something with this great feature? It will be repeated on Friday, December 26, 2008 at 8:30 p.m.

http://www.moma.org/calendar/films.php? ... f=calendar

Last edited by Gagman 66 on December 3rd, 2008, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drednm

Post by drednm »

I didn't know Georgia Hale had written a book.... I'll have to look for it. I just started the old Chaplin autobiography that I first read like 40 years ago!
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

charliechaplinfan wrote:It says an awful lot about both people that Leatrice loved him until the end of her days. I've seen that episode that you mention, it's very moving.

It reminded me too of the book I've just read which was by Georgia Hale. She loved Charlie Chaplin to the end of her days, despite some terrible behaviour on his part, the fact that he married wifes number 3 and 4 instead of her. It was a good read but I couldn't help wising she'd found happiness with someone who did really love her.
I think Leatrice did try to get over John. She married once or twice after him, but it was plain that he was the love of her life. It's really hard to care for someone else with the same amount of intensity once you've already invested so much. Perhaps it was the same with Georgia. The difference was that John really did love Leatrice at some point. I'm not sure that Charlie ever really loved Georgia.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard