Fog Over Frisco (1934)

SSO Admins
Administrator

Fog Over Frisco (1934)

Post by SSO Admins »

One wonders what would this movie would have been in the hands of a lesser star and a lesser director. Likely it would have been at least 20 minutes longer, for one thing, and probably somewhat boring.

But Bette Davis, just on the verge of the A-list roles that she would command for the rest of her career, along with William Dieterle exhibiting top notch direction, make this is an incredibly fast, fun ride for most of its 68 minutes.

The story starts off in a nightclub, where Arlene Bradford (Davis), along with her half-sister Val (Margaret Lindsey) and fiance Spence (Lyle Talbot) show up for an evening of drinking. Arlene was once well known on the nightclub circuit, but had semi-retired after her engagement. They are joined by newspaper reporter Tony Sterling (Donald Woods), who shows an interest in Val.

Upon leaving the club, Arlene is in possession of a bundle of stolen securities received from gangster and club owner Jake Bellow (Irving Pichel), something she apparently is making a habit of.

At breakfast the next morning, we meet Arlene and Val's father, financier Everett Bradford (Arthur Byron). Seeing Arlene's photo in the paper, he threatens to disown her, accusing her of inheriting her mother's wild blood.

He has a point, particularly when it turns out that she's disposing of the securities through her father's firm, using Spencer, who works there, to convert them into cash.

About 20 minutes into the movie, having established that nearly everyone with the exception of Val has good reason to want her dead, Arlene is abruptly murdered.

From that point on the movie is standard whodunnit, with lots of red herrings, false leads, and attempts to knock off Val and Tony, who are attempting to unravel the mystery.

The movie suffers when Arlene is murdered, as Davis was by far the most compelling and fascinating character. She lends spice and charm to her portrayal of the rich delinquent.

Still, the movie never becomes boring as Dieterle keeps the action flowing right to the very end. This is not a movie to watch while distracted, as following the confusing storyline and shifting cast of characters and subtle hints requires close attention. While the ending is not particularly satisfying, what comes before moves at a breakneck pace.

<i>Fog Over Frisco</i> is not a particularly great movie, but it's got a great actress and great director, and is a satisfying if exhausting hour. Like <i>The Big Sleep,</i> the script doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the end, but it's still a fun flick.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I agree with all your comments about Fog Over Frisco---it's one of my favorites of Bette's early thirtie's movies. Sometimes I think this is the period when I like her best, even if I admire her later films more. Does that make sense? I her brassy looks and crackling, jerky energy---she always seems just about ready to jump out of her garters. :wink: