Latest Letter From Robert Israel!

Gagman 66

Latest Letter From Robert Israel!

Post by Gagman 66 »

Everyone,

:D Hey gang, I just received my fifth letter from the great Robert Israel a couple nights ago.. It was wonderful to hear from him for the first time since around Christmas. I will try to find out if He is involved at all in the THE BIG PARADE project that TCM programmer eluded too a couple weeks back, and will pass on that information once I have it. Here is what He had to say the other evening:
"Dear Jeffrey,

I am sorry to have been out of touch for so very long, however, life has a way of swallowing time when there are responsibilities calling. I trust that you have been well and everything is okay.

I had a chance to see some of the work you did with films like THE PENALTY and THE COSSACKS. I think I can understand your interest in these period recordings of the South American tangos. The music is very attractive and because the actual recordings were made during the 1920s, it has an inherent flavor that seems to go with silent films. Although I can understand your selecting these, particularly the themes you have in THE COSSACKS, my ear still hears the lovely strains of the latin influence. However, might we agree that if you had a music recording library, perhaps thousands of different mood pieces all made in the 1920s, you would probably be using your entire arsenal? Nevertheless, I do appreciate your work and certainly your passion for this form of cinema. Bravo!

It is amazing how much time can be consumed listening to recordings, selecting passages and synchronizing them with a moving image. And in truth, this process is far more accessible than actually selecting printed music, playing it, synchronizing it, arranging it for a group, and then recording it, editing it, and mastering it for a video master. Well...it's a job, but a fun one.

I have a few items in my recorded music files that I thought I would send your way so that you might enjoy them for your own personal use. I think you will get a kick out of them. The first selection is called AGITATO PATETICO and was composed by Gaston Borch. I have no doubt that you will find a suitable scene to support with it. Second is a piece called JINGLES and was composed by J.S. Zamecnik. It is a fun and light composition that can go with just about any bright, neutral scene, or even something comedic. And finally, the ever popular AGITATO NO.4 by William Axt. This was not a part of BIG PARADE or BEN HUR, but was rather popular considering the number of collections (music libraries) I have seen that have the music, not to mention its overall effect: I think it is marvelous. Get ready for that fight, riot or chase scene!

At any rate, I look forward to hearing from you soon and I send you my very best wishes. Please remember, you may feel free to contact me any time with any questions that you may have concerning silent films and music.

Yours most truly,

Robert"
charliechaplinfan

Re: Latest Letter From Robert Israel!

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's a lovely letter Jeffrey, he sounds like a very nice man who appreciates your interest in silent film scores.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin