The Red Mill (1927)

moira finnie
Administrator

The Red Mill (1927)

Post by moira finnie »

The Red Mill (1927) directed by Roscoe Arbuckle, (under the pseudonym William Goodrich), features Marion Davies in one of her most diverting comic performances. Arbuckle, who had been castigated by Hearst a few years prior to this film, showed that his comic skills were still extant after all his legal troubles. Set in The Netherlands, a viewer can't help but wonder at the skating depicted in this film. The new score provided by a past TCM Young Composer winner, is a plus. Best performer in the whole movie: Ignatz the Mouse!

SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Is Ignatz really in that? I recorded it but haven't watched it.
moira finnie
Administrator

Ignatz the Mouse

Post by moira finnie »

Jon,
Ignatz the Mouse, named, I believe for the Krazy Kat comic strip character, is an actual mouse who provides Miss Davies with diversion and companionship. Wait until you see the scenes along the canal. Hollywood in the late '20s was technically splendid as can be seen in the recreation of an entire small world in this film. As far as story goes, it is a cute movie, though Show People (1928) remains my favorite Davies comedy. Too bad Hearst preferred her to be ladylike.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I only wish TCM Latin would air Silents and Pre-Codes! None of all these goodies have been showed here :(

You are so lucky guys....."When a Man Loves", "The Red Mill", "The Red Lily"......
SSO Admins
Administrator

Re: Ignatz the Mouse

Post by SSO Admins »

moirafinnie wrote:As far as story goes, it is a cute movie, though Show People (1928) remains my favorite Davies comedy. Too bad Hearst preferred her to be ladylike.
I just finished watching this, and I agree that "Show People" is a much better movie (the scene where Marion is showing her "acting talent" is one of my all time favorite comedy bits).

I wonder if "Ignatz" wasn't in use as a kind of generic term for a mouse at the time. I love Herriman -- one of the great geniuses of the comic form.

It was cute, but not outstanding. I love Marion though. She makes even mediocre material seem far better than it is.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

jondaris,

:) Well, all I can say is I loved this movie from start to finish! I felt personally that it was every bit as good as SHOW PEOPLE, or THE PATSY!

I had waited to see this picture for seven years, and I was anything but disappointed! In-fact, it far exceeded my expectations! The print was beautiful, The story was cleaver, the supporting cast tremendous! The film itself was laugh out loud funny! The new score by Michael Picton outstanding! What more could you have wanted?

The next Marion Davies feature I would like to see restored by TCM is THE CARDBOARD LOVER (1928). The footage included in the Real Marion Davies Documentary, looked most intriguing! I sure hope that Warner's is working on this project? It's also high time that Marion had a couple nice DVD collections of her Silent's, and her Talkies released! :roll:
feaito

Post by feaito »

I finished watching this cute comedy last night. Great print. Wonderful score BTW.

Each time I watch a Marion Davies Comedy, especially her Silents, I realize how underrated as a comedienne she has been over the years. She was so gifted. She was such a natural comic peformer. Her antics in this film are very funny.

It was also rewarding to watch Owen Moore as her love interest, the excellent Louise Fazenda, Karl Dane and Snitz Edwards.

"Ignatz" almost steals the film from Marion :wink:

It's a shame that TCM Latin never airs any Silent Film ... If it weren't for my American friends I'd see no Silent ever, save for the ones I've bought from Amazon.
drednm

Post by drednm »

Marion Davies was one of the all-time great comediennes. She's terrific in SHOW PEOPLE, THE PATSY, THE RED MILL (all shown on TCM). She's also great in lesser known late silent films like QUALITY STREET, THE CARDBOARD LOVER, ZANDER THE GREAT, and THE FAIR CO-ED.

Even in her earlier "epic" films like LITTLE OLD NEW YORK and WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER she has comic scenes where she just explodes off the screen with vitality and good humor.
Dawtrina

Plenty More on 3 Jan

Post by Dawtrina »

Hola from the raging sun of Arizona! I'm a first time poster, so please be gentle with me.

I really enjoyed this one back in April on TCM and find myself in agreement with pretty much everyone on this thread. I'm a fan of Marion Davies, comedienne, though I'm not a fan of Marion Davies, dramatic actress. At least so far...

I wanted to let people know that The Red Mill will be back on TCM at the beginning of January. In fact, 3rd January is going to be something of a Marion Davies feast. How about this for a lineup:

The Red Mill (1926)
Show People (1928)
Marianne (1929)
The Floradora Girl (1930)
Peg o' My Heart (1933)
Captured on Film: The True Story of Marion Davies (2001)

I haven't seen the other three films, but I'm ten into her career and wanting more. Show People, The Patsy and The Red Mill are my favourites so far, but The Bachelor Father and Page Miss Glory were excellent too.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Ooooh! Show People! I've been wanting to see that one for a loooong time.

Welcome to the Oasis, Dawtrina.

Sandy K

:D
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Your presence is indeed welcome, Dawtrina. Thanks so much for highlighting the upcoming Marion Davies movies on TCM. I agree about comedy being this lady's strong suit, too.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Welcome Dawtrina. I hope to see you around the Oasis! Are your interests primarily in the silents and precodes or are they all over the board?
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

Many thanks for the welcome!

My interests are all over the board, partly through taste and partly through discovery. I'm now a firm fan of both silents and precodes, along with 1957 for some reason. It seems to be to the world what 1939 was for Hollywood. The only thing I don't get yet is musicals, because I love some of them but can't explain why those but not others.

A quick background: I've always called myself a film fan, but I came to the realisation four years ago that I'd only seen 100 out of the IMDb Top 250 and had glaring gaps throughout the history of cinema. So, I've been on a voyage of discovery through the history of film ever since and now my favourite films, directors and actors are often ones I hadn't even heard of in 2004.

That means that whenever I talk to anyone about new discoveries and favourites, they haven't heard of them either and I get a lot of blank stares, even when I start explaining. Hence I'm really looking forward to participating on this board! It looks like a new home.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Dawtrina, are you British? Your spellings don't say "Brooklyn."
Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

jdb1 wrote:Dawtrina, are you British? Your spellings don't say "Brooklyn."
The 'u' in 'favourites'? Y'all are quick, goshdarnit.

Yep, I'm an Englishman in Arizona, which makes me a resident alien. That title tempted me to wear tentacles to the immigration office, but the folks there are not allowed to have such things as a sense of humour.