Lubitsch Silents

Ann Harding

Lubitsch Silents

Post by Ann Harding »

Right now, the French Cinémathèque is doing a full Lubitsch retrospective. I am going to investigate the rarest silent features that I have never seen.

Als ich tot war (When I Was Dead, 1916) with Ernst Lubitsch, Louise Schenrich, Lanchen Voss and Julius Falkenstein
Ernst is victim of a nasty mother-in-law who keeps locking him out his flat when he comes home late. He sleeps on the staircase where she comes to take away his clothes. He is finally kicked out of his home leaving a suicide note to his wife. But, he is hired later as a servant, wearing a disguise...

This comedy directed and played by Ernest Lubitsch still shows its stagey origine. The direction is pretty static and Lubitsch himself as an actor is mugging a lot to the camera.I recognised Julius Falkenstein the bald actor in Die Austernprinzessin who plays a suitor selected by the masty mother-in-law for her 'widowed' daughter. The best gag of the film is the supper when Falkenstein tries desperately to eat his soup with a spoon. The spoon has a huge hole in it done by naughty Ernst. But overall, it's not among Lubitsch's best German silent comedies.

Wenn vier dasselbe tun (When Four Do the Same, 1917) with Emil Jannings, Ossi Oswalda, Margarete Kupfer and Fritz Schultz
ImageImage

Ossie (O. Oswalda) comes back from her convent to live with her father (E. Jannings). She meets a shy librarian (F. Schultz) and falls in love with him...

This Lubitsch considered lost until recently has resurfaced in the Russian archive. The cast is very promising with Ossie Oswalda playing Jannings' daughter. Unfortunately, the film is disappointing with a fairly obvious narrative. One has to take into account that the Russian titles have probably watered down considerably the original German ones. The French translation was fairly heavy. Oswalda is wonderful, as usual, full of charm and energy. The best scenes show Jannings dancing with the old librarian he is courting. He is a terrible dancer and he spends all his time caressing his handlebars moustache.

Der Blusenkönig (The King of Blouses, 1917) with Ernst Lubitsch, Käthe Dorsch and Guido Herzfeld
Sally Katz (E. Lubitsch) has become the king of women's blouses. He comes back to visit his former employer. His daughter flirts with him...

There is only 12 min left of this 3-reels comedy directed and played by Lubitsch. It's a shame because this is the film that caught my eye. It contains a lovely scene that shows the way of Lubitsch's future masterpieces and innuendo. Sally is alone with the boss' daughter. Somebody is watching and listening to them through a keyhole (there is a similar scene in Die Austernprinzessin). He ties back the lady's shoelace. As the lace touches her feet, she lets out a cry of pleasure. The spy misunderstands the cry. Very funny!
Last edited by Ann Harding on September 18th, 2010, 1:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
charliechaplinfan

Re: Lubitsch Silents

Post by charliechaplinfan »

What a wonderful opportunity to be able to see these films, Lubitsch is one of my favorite directors.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Die Flamme (The Flame/Montmartre, 1922) with Pola Negri, Hilde Wörner, Alfred Abel & Hermann Thimig
Image (Pola Negri & Alfred Abel)

In 1860, Yvette (P. Negri) is a Parisian cocotte who falls in love with a young composer Adolphe (H. Thiming). Alas, she is pursued by a former client Gaston (Alfred Abel) who happens to be a friend of Adolphe...

This melodrama was Lubitsch's last film in Germany before his departure to the USA. It stars Pola Negri as the fallen woman who tries to get a redemption with the love of young composer, even it means for her complete social isolation. Unfortunately, only one reel of this film has survived. The reconstruction done by the Munich Film Museum was only 45 min long containing numerous production stills and storyboard drawings to patch up the missing footage. The reel that survives shows Pola fighting valiantly the unwanted advances of a nasty Alfred Abel and her happiness with Hermann Thimig. Her acting was really understated and capturing the fate of her Yvette who is branded for life because of her past. The film has a tragic end (lost as well). She throws herself through a window and dies in the arm of her repentant lover. For the American release a happy end was filmed. It's hard to comment on such a small fragment (22 min of film altogether). But, it seemed like it was a worthy melodrama well acted by Negri and Abel.

Romeo und Julia im Schnee (Romeo and Juliet in Snow, 1920) with Jacob Tiedtke, Marga Köhler, Lotte Neuman and Ernst Rückert.

This amusing romp was shot in the Black Forest mountains. It's a parody -as you probably guessed!- of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. The Capuletofer family is constantly fighting the Montekugerl one. Julia is promised to half-witted idiot (Julius Falkenstein). Fortunately she meets Romeo Montekugerl and they both fall in love. During a masked ball, Romeo usurps the silly costume of the half-witted to flirt with Julia. Desperate by the opposition of their family, they go to the local apothecary to buy poison for two. :mrgreen: As they have no money to pay for it, the apothecary suggest they come back later to pay for it! :lol: (he gives them water with sugar in it). As they fake death, the families make up. It's a charming parody worthy of a DVD. Alas, the Bundesfilmarchiv print looked very dupey and grainy.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Ernst Lubitsch directing Pauline Frederick and May McAvoy

Three Women (1924) with Pauline Frederick, May McAvoy, Marie Prevost, Lew Cody and Pierre Gendron

Mrs Wilton (P. Frederick), a rich widow, is courted by a professional cad, Edmund Lamont (L. Cody). He is looking for money to pay for his debts. But, unexpectedly, Jeanne Wilton (M. McAvoy) arrives at her mother's doorstep. Edmund starts to flirt with Jeanne...

This is Lubitsch's third American feature and it's a terrific melodrama. Pauline Frederick is trying desperately to look as young as possible and even hides her own daughter to her lover. The lover in question is an unmitigated cad played by Lew Cody. He is only interested in the money he can get from her while she is looking for love. As soon as the daughter arrives, he loses interest in her and goes after Jeanne (M. McAvoy). The innocent girl falls quickly into the trap (like her mother before her). The film is brilliantly directed. Lubitsch suggests many things just using facial expressions rather than lengthy titles. Pauline Frederick discover her daughter in Cody's appartment and we can read in their eyes that he has already compromised her. The story line reads like a real melodrama, but Lubitsch gives it a subtlety. Even the scene where P. Frederick kills L. Cody has a certain edge; we only see Cody's shadow as he collapses while Frederick looks at him in state of shock, but determined. Marie Prevost's part is very short as Cody's mistress after his marriage to McAvoy. This is overall a great Lubitsch. I have no idea why it's so rarely screened. I saw a French print from the Cinémathèque Française which looks as if it was lacking a few scenes. (especially one described by Sabine Hake in Passions and Deceptions - The Early Films of Ernst Lubitsch) The film really belongs to Pauline Frederick who manages to be vulnerable and pathetic as the wronged woman and later as the avenging mother. It's interesting to note that her next (excellent) film with Clarence Brown, Smouldering Fires (1925), gives her a similar role. She is a business women in her 40s in love with a younger man. A very good Lubitsch.

Image (Lew Cody, Pierre Gendron and May McAvoy)
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

The Patriot (1928) with Emil Jannings, Florence Vidor, Lewis Stone and Neil Hamilton

Don't get too excited! I didn't see a rediscovered print of this lost picture. But I saw the remaining footage found by the Portuguese Film Archives. It's a short scene between Jannings and Forence Vidor. The Czar Paul is terrified by a plot to dethrone him. (A plot hatched by Lewis Stone.) This 8 min footage was enough to notice the extremely mobile camera that follows Jannings around. There are some expressionist shadows and a Jannings on top form. If you want to have an idea of the film, check YouTube where it's possible to see the remaining trailer (also available on More Treasures from the American Film Archives).

Meyer aus Berlin (Meyer from Berlin, 1919) with Ernst Lubitsch, Ethel Orff, Heinz Landsmann and Trude Koll
Image (Lubitsch is second from left)

Sally Meyer (E. Lubisch) fakes an illness so that his doctor can send him for a holiday in the mountains. Once in Tyrol, he starts to flirt with the very pretty Kitty...

Ernst Lubistch, the comedian, is more restrained than usual as Sally Meyer, the Berliner who goes montaineering. He is always at odds with his environment. First, he dresses up in a Tyrolean costume that makes him looks silly in the streets of Berlin. Later, once in the resort hotel, he behaves brazenly towards Kitty and manages to et rid of her suitors by various devious ways. But once Kitty takes him mountain climbing, he loses a great part of his 'chutzpah'. Overall, it's a good comedy with a good ending with all four characters waking up in a mountain refuge (picture above). Good fun!
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Forbidden Paradise (1924) with Pola Negri, Rod La Rocque, Adolphe Menjou and Pauline Starke

The Czarina Catherine (P. Negri) is threatened to be dethroned by a rebellion within her army. The young officer Alexei (R. La Rocque) runs to the palace to warn her. But her chancellor (A. Menjou) thinks he is a madman...

This Paramount picture survives only in a fairly poor Czech print which looks like a second generation dupe. It's missing quite a number of scenes as well, but the remaining footage is very easy to follow (about 10 min is missing). Pola Negri plays an empress dressed in some rather modern fashion and obviously inspired by Catherine The Great of Russia. Adolphe Menjou plays to the hilt the sly chancellor who knows his way around the royal palace. As for Rod La Rocque (who was Pola's lover at the time), he is a rather dumb and innocent officer who doesn't realise the Czarina wants to bed him. He is even more bewildered when he realises that he is just a number on a long list of lovers (they all wear the same medal in shape of a star with the Empress' portrait at the center). I guess you are all thinking of The Scarlet Empress shot 11 years later. But, here, we are more in a slightly parodic version. Pola is a real man-eater smiling like a cat in front a nice prey. Menjou is so clever as to avoid a Revolution, using his check-book to buy the rebellious general. Rod La Rocque's sweetheart (played by Pauline Starke) manages to recover him at the end when Pola decides to spare him [not unlike Louise Dresser at the end of The Eagle (1925)]. Overall, it's a very nice film with some superlative production values (incredible sets by Hans Dreier and luxury costume by Howard Greer). A lovely scene shows Rod and Pauline kissing in a garden beside a pond. A fish comes and their image dissolves. We were watching their reflection. It's just a shame the print is so ugly...
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for you detailed account of the Lubitsch Festival, Christine. I wished I could be able to see these wonderful films. Let's hope that someday a print of "The Patriot" (1928) will appear in some Film Archive. The pictures are gorgeous & Pola looks stunning.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Christine,

:D Great reviews. THREE WOMEN, and FORBIDDEN PARADISE are two films I have longed to see. The former was recently restored and screened at a Festival in L. A. earlier this year. Being a Warner Brothers Silent, I hoped that TCM would have the film scored. The latter may exist in another, and more complete print than what you saw. At least it does according to some members on a different classic film board awhile back. A few people who had seen the film screen reported a better print, and what they believed to be a full-length film. I artgued that according to my previous information that the movie was missing some key scenes. They did not agree. :?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ann Harding -

You positively make me drool when you write about these rare silents by Lubitsch. You have a great way of making the movie come alive in your writing, while remaining clear and concise in your descriptions.

You are so lucky to have the French Cinematheque at your doorstep.

I really love Lubitsch's silent comedies like Die Puppe, I Don't Want to Be a Man, and Die Austernprinzessen, full of true magic and mischief. In fact, I can say that so far, Die Puppe is my favorite Lubitsch film. I had a great deal of trouble getting through Anna Boleyn, I tried several times to watch it, but was very disappointed. I simply could not find anything in it to latch onto emotionally. Since this is classic Lubitsch, I am sure the fault is in me, my irritation at the simplistic portrayal of Anna at the beginning of the film kept me from plowing through to the end. It is the only Lubitsch film I have not liked.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Thanks for the compliment, Jack Favell. :D

Actually, you are not the only one who finds it hard to go through Anna Boleyn. It was hard for me too. :| And Sumurun was even worse... :? I think Lubitsch was certainly better at comedies than at big costume pictures. I still have a few films to catch: Rosita and So This is Paris. More soon! :wink:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Great! I can't wait. He's like reading Jane Austen - you want so much more from him, but there are only a finite number of his films to see. I would love it if I could watch a new Lubitsch every year.... or every month. :D
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

So This is Paris (1926) with Monte Blue, Lilyan Tashman, André Béranger and Pasty Ruth Miller

Dr Giraud (M. Blue) meets by accident an old flame, Georgette (L. Tashman). He starts lying to his wife (P. Ruth Miller) to meet her again...

This comedy takes place in Paris and is based on French play, Le Réveillon by Meilhac and Halévy. If the play is now forgotten, the plot lives on thanks to the marvellous adaptation done by Johann Strauss Jr in Die Fledermaus. If this story of marital infidelity sounds familiar, it's probably because you saw Strauss' operetta. Actually, Lubitsch already made an adaptation of the same play earlier on with Ein Fideles Gefängnis (The Merry Jail, 1917). Here, Monte Blue is doing his best to hide from his wife that he is meeting Lilyan Tashman (full of charm and pep) at the ball. Alas, his efforts are totally worthless as his wife overhears on the radio that he won the Charleston contest with L. Tashman. André Béranger is a hoot as Tashman's husband wearing a sheikh costume. The film is often mentioned because of the very syncopated editing for the ball scene, full of fast cutting, double exposure, etc. It's actually featured in the last episode of Hollywood as an example of the transition from silent to talkie. Watching the film in complete silence (as it is nearly always the case at the Cinémathèque), I felt music was essential, especially for this scene. Nevertheless, it was very enjoyable.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

First of all, let me say again that I am 'pea green' with envy at your being able to enjoy films at the Cinematheque.

Is there any way there might be a score commissioned or a release on dvd?

Great poster, by the way.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Christine is very lucky indeed. Thanks again for sharing this screenings with us all.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

JackFavell wrote:First of all, let me say again that I am 'pea green' with envy at your being able to enjoy films at the Cinematheque.
Is there any way there might be a score commissioned or a release on dvd?
Frankly, I don't know. The film is a Warner production and I don't know who owns the rights nowadays. But the print I saw came from the MoMA. Even funnier, it was a French print (with French titles) that the MoMA acquired from the Cinémathèque Française. It was lacking a little bit of footage (not much) but the quality was good.