More Lost Silent Films Discovered In Russia!

Gagman 66

More Lost Silent Films Discovered In Russia!

Post by Gagman 66 »

:D I must say that 2010 has turned out to be a rather remarkable year in Film Preservation. Another stash of forgotten American Silent films has turned on up in Russia. These are being shipped back to the United States. This on top of the large collection of films that the were discovered in Argentina, and New Zealand several months ago. Stay tuned from what I understand, there might be much more yet to come from this Russian archive.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... und.films/

Here is a list of the 10 films being exported. Some big Stars and Directors are featured. along with additional details on 6 of the titles.

"Valley of the Giants" (Famous Players, 1919) Wallace Reid, Alice Terry

"You're Fired" (Famous Players, 1919) Wallace Reid, Wanda Hawley

"The Conquest of Canaan" (Famous Players, 1921) Thomas Meighan

"Kick In" (Famous Players, 1922) Betty Compson, May McAvoy

"The Call of the Canyon" (Famous Players, 1923) Richard Dix, Lois Wilson

"Canyon of the Fools" (R-C Pictures, 1923) Harry Carey

"Circus Days" (First National, 1923) Jackie Coogan, Claire McDowell

"The Eternal Struggle" (Metro Pictures, Louis B. Mayer, 1923)

Renee Adoree, Barbara LaMarr, Wallace Beery

"The Arab" (Metro, 1924) Ramon Novarro, Alice Terry

"Keep Smiling" (Monty Banks, 1925) Monty Banks, Anne Cornwall

o "The Arab" (Metro, 1924). Director: Rex Ingram. Cast: Ramon Navarro, Alice Terry. Jamil (Navarro), son of a Bedouin tribe leader, falls in love with the daughter of a Christian missionary. Ingram shot portions of the film on location in Algiers, using native Bedouins as extras. His career break came three years earlier when he directed "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse," which made a star of Rudolph Valentino. Navarro's collaboration with Ingram on this and two earlier films propelled him to stardom.

o "Kick In" (Famous Players, 1922). Director: George Fitzmaurice. Cast: Betty Compson, Bert Lytell, May McAvoy. Released from prison, thief Chick Hewes (Lytell) resolves to go straight but is harassed by police when he refuses to turn stool pigeon. "Kick In" was a successful Broadway play starring John Barrymore.

o "The Conquest of Canaan" (Famous Players, 1921). Director: Roy William Neill. Cast: Thomas Meighan, Doris Kenyon. Defiant of polite society and friendly with corrupt town leaders, Joe Louden (Meighan) is encouraged by his friend Ariel (Kenyon), a recent heiress, to succeed. Previously filmed in 1916, "Canaan" was based on a novel by Booth Tarkington.

o "The Eternal Struggle" (Metro Pictures, Louis B. Mayer, 1923). Director: Reginald Barker. Cast: Renee Adoree, Earle Williams, Barbara La Marr, Wallace Beery, Pat O'Malley. Engaged to Canadian Mountie Neil Tempest (Williams), Andree (Renee) falls in love with one of her fiance's underlings, Bucky O'Hara (O'Malley). This is one of the last films produced or released by Louis B. Mayer's Metro Pictures Corp. before he helped establish MGM in 1924.

o "You're Fired" (Famous Players, 1919). Director: James Cruze. Cast: Wallace Reid, Wanda Hawley. In order to win the hand of Helen Rogers (Hawley), wealthy idler Billy Deering (Reid) agrees to her father's wager -- if Billy can keep a job for one month, the father will agree to the marriage. The comedy's screenplay was based on O. Henry's story, "The Halberdier."

o "Keep Smiling" (Monty Banks, 1925). Directors: Albert Austin, Gilbert Pratt. Cast: Monty Banks, Glen Cavender. An unnamed boy (Banks), who is afraid of water, invents a life preserver that inflates when it hits water.
MichiganJ

Re: More Lost Silent Films Discovered In Russia!

Post by MichiganJ »

It's been a pretty great year for fans of Silent film!
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
drednm

Post by drednm »

Jeff... that's the list I added actor names to...

Yes it's not just that they have these films but the films have name actors like Wallace Reid, Ramon Novarro, Betty Compson, Thomas Meighan, Jackie Coogan, Alice Terry, Wallace Beery, May McAvoy, Renee Adoree, Harry Carey, and Richard Dix.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thrilling news, just splendid, Jeff. I cannot wait to see what else is in the pipeline. and that they emphasize the quality of the resolution makes me excited that we will get to see many complete films, not just fragments.

I'm excited about the harry carey and rudy valentino titles, most.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Ed, April,

:D Yeah, I transplanted the list. Thanks. Had a bad headache last night. Didn't fill like putting my own spin on things. It doesn't say anything about Valentino, but it would be nice if THE SAINTED DEVIL turned out to be in there. HONOR FIRST is high on my wish list as it is the first film John Gilbert made with Renee Adoree as his leading lady. And it is a War picture.It would also be great if THE SNOB were in there someplace. Remember this is just the first shipment. Nearly 200 titles to go! I'm holding out hope for several Colleen Moore and Corinne Griffith films among them. Maybe some Tom Mix Westerns too. That would be great. Possibly the missing reels of Victor Seastrom's CONFESSIONS OF A QUEEN. There could be some amazing surprises to come from this. How about Chaney's TOWER OF LIES with Norma Shearer? You hear allot about LAM or A BLIND BARGAIN, but no one ever talks about this movie. One of my most wanted lost Silents is TIN GODS with Thomas Meighan, Renee Adoree, and Aileen Pringle. I'll hold out hope.

Of course it doesn't do much good if people won't get to see these. With any luck they will receive a fair amount of exposure and a handful of DVD releases to boot. I have heard the Pola Negri's first American Starring feature BELLA DONNA (1923) is part of the collection. Along with a couple Mae Murray movies IDOLS OF CLAY and THE RIGHT TO LOVE as well. So those are three other titles that we know about.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

oh, pardon me, my mistke...the arab is novarro, not valentino. :D

i'm looking forward to the next announcement of titles. Good news all around.

Tom Mix, yes that would be great, too.
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

What great news :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Great news!

April, your avatar of the young, sexy & exotic Myrna is fabulous. :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, Feo...and what about yours? who's that handsome little guy????
-- Will Rogers
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Gagman 66 wrote: Pola Negri's first American Starring feature BELLA DONNA (1923) is part of the collection.
Bella Donna has alreay been restored. I saw it last April in Paris. It's a terrible turkey.
Yesterday I saw the very rare Bella Donna (1923, G. Fitzmaurice) with Pola Negri, Adolphe Menjou, Conway Tearle and Conrad Nagel. The film seems to have been restored recently from various prints. Alas, the quality is not great: it's a grainy dupe though entirely tinted. As for the film itself, well, let's say it's a real turkey! Ruby (P. Negri) is married to a jealous husband (A. Menjou) who kills a man who tried to kiss her. Later, in London, she seduces a young engineer (C. Nagel) who is going to inherit a big fortune. Alas, he doesn't, so she decides to poison him helped by her lover, Prince Baroubi (Conway Tearle in a black face). As you can see, Ouida Bergère's script is really a cheap soap opera. BTW Ouida was hiding, under that overblown nickname, the very plebeian Ida Berger. Then the wife of Fitzmaurice, she wrote his scripts. Here, George seems to be going through the motions and shoots everything rather flatly. None of the actors seems to really believe in his part. I doubt that even in 1923, the film could have been successful. Pola is overdressed in some rather ridiculous costumes and on top, not a single scene was shot on locations. We get only some rather ugly painted backdrop of Egypt and Venice. A real turkey. :roll:
feaito

Post by feaito »

MissGoddess wrote:Thank you, Feo...and what about yours? who's that handsome little guy????

C'est Moi...Thks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Fernando:
I can see you were ready for your 'closeup' even at an early age!!! Cute....

Ann:
Even though "Bella Donna" is most probably a turkey (even Pola thought it was 'stupid'), I'd still love to see it...
I don't think she held it against Ouida, as they remained friends for years. She even asked for Basil Rathbone to be in her film, "A Woman Commands" years later.
I had to laugh at your calling her Ida Berger, as my grandmother (who couldn't stand her) always called her 'Ham Burger'!!

Larry
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Larry
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Vecchiolarry wrote: Ann:
Even though "Bella Donna" is most probably a turkey (even Pola thought it was 'stupid'), I'd still love to see it...
I don't think she held it against Ouida, as they remained friends for years. She even asked for Basil Rathbone to be in her film, "A Woman Commands" years later.
I had to laugh at your calling her Ida Berger, as my grandmother (who couldn't stand her) always called her 'Ham Burger'!!

Larry
Believe me, Bella Donna was incredibly boring. Pola made far better pictures: all of her Lubitsch (Madame Dubarry, Carmen, Forbidden Paradise, etc.), Barbed Wire, Hotel Imperial, The Way of Lost Souls are much better. Thanks for the anecdote about Ouida! :lol: It's priceless.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Christine,

:o Well hopefully THE SPANISH DANCER is a much better film than BELLA DONNA? It is currently undergoing a full restoration. It's interesting that both THE SPANISH DANCER and Pickford's/Lubitsch ROSITA were based on the same novel.