Buster Keaton

movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Buster Keaton

Post by movieman1957 »

The AFI Theater in MD they are running Buster Keaton pictures on Nov 8 and 22. The problem is that the 8th is also my niece's 16th birthday party. Hmmmm, which to go to? (I know, I can't win this one.)

On the 22nd I hope to be in Connecticut so I'll miss "The General" then. But if anyone else is in Silver Spring MD then go see them for me.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I went to a showing of "The General" (mentioned above) with an enthusiastic crowd of about 175 people at the stylish AFI theater near Washington DC.

Supported by a chamber sized version of a local orchestra that performed a new score from a local composer a fine time was had by all. Some scenes garnered applause and all got laughs in the right places. The score was mostly in the spirit of silent scores but had a few new age components to it. There were times the timing was a bit off but mostly it was all well played.

The film is great fun with a fun performance by Buster and his leading lady. Buster shows off his athletic ability with gusto and grace. As with any classic film, if you get to see it on the big screen then do it.

This has been part of a series of silents that had live music. (Today people get "The Iron Horse" with a piano or orchestra.)

Almost didn't go but glad I did. It took 90 minutes (about twice as long as normal traffic would take) in some suburban DC rush hour traffic but it was worth it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Chris - I would love to see it on the big screen and the atmosphere that you describe here. It would be a treat for the "ages" ... :)
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

All things considered, this is Keaton's best work. I like OUR HOSPITALITY a lot. THE NAVIGATOR is a riot. But this train rolls right along, powered by one inventive sight gag after another.
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Let's face it. The General is the ideal film to demonstrate to young people who won't even watch a film that isn't in color much less SILENT that we old folks know whereof we rant!
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

The General is a magnificent film.
Glad to see an older thread return.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Nellie LaRoy wrote: September 11th, 2023, 2:07 pm I have started going through all of Keaton's films in chronological order, and so far I've watched/rewatched Three Ages, Our Hospitality, Sherlock Jr. and The Navigator.

These movies never get old!!
...And the best are yet to come...

It's amazing that time uncovers Gems, from a long overlooked or unappreciated master.