Red-Headed Woman vs. Baby Face

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

pktrekgirl wrote: One thing I will say about Gable: when you are in the mood for a Clark Gable film NO ONE else will do. His films are so....'HIS', if you know what I mean. There is a style to them that you can't get anywhere else - especially when it comes to comedy. But even in more serious roles it's there. That whole cocky/amused thing he's got going on...

You know what I mean?
Oh boy! Do I ever know what you mean! :D If I need a Gable-fix then there is no substitute. I hope you enjoy NMOHO; it's supposedly a "romantic drama" but I tell you I kept cracking up, especially at their twisted "courtship" in the beginning. What a devil! But Carole really was his match and this movie shows you why.

moviemagz

Post by moviemagz »

Definately prefer RED HEADED WOMAN which I think is unrivalled as a pre-code comedy. I am a huge Stanwyck fan but have never gotten into BABY FACE, the fact that the naturally beautiful Barbara is at her least attractive all painted up like a sound Barbara La Marr doesn't help.

I also like the maligned Lombard picture THE GAY BRIDE. It has a bit of a bad rep because it's Lombard only MGM film and was personally disappointing to her because it was clearly a programmer but she's great in it and so is Chester Morris (who I like and think is underrated, I read somewhere Andrew Sarris also felt Morris was underrated.) He's also terrific in RED HEADED WOMAN considering he is cast somewhat against type (as is Leila Hyams, both of them playing socialites when they usually moved in earthier circles on film.)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I too, like The Gay Bride and am glad TCM will be airing it this month. It's really quite funny and Carole and Chester play off of one another really well.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Red-Headed Woman wins my vote. Babyface is just too depressing and for some reason, RHW makes me laugh. It's just my demented pre-code sense of humor, I guess. Yes, Chester Morris is sort of, well, creepy, but who could resist Una Merkel as a best pal?

Another of my favorites of Jean's is Girl From Missouri which I find hilarious, even though it has one tiny little suicide in it.

B